Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i GET my 520 conversion and I open up the box . Its from sum of all parts.
1) The front and rear sprockets are vortex but the rear is 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum ... not sure I am secure with this . ALSO I AM OK With needing a new one in 3K Miles but I just dont want to snap teeth

2) The front is ok its steel

3) My Biggest concern is the Chain was not what I ordered its an O Ring Chain. I do not mind replacing it in 3K Miles but I do not want to Break it .

Any one got feedback Please..... I have to replace this now cause My chain is kinked and causing my bike to pull right when on a wheel .. do not notice it under accel with both wheels cause I just dont ...:hello:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
that's perfectly fine and normal, you shouldn't wear out a sprocket or chain in 3,000 miles unless you go off roading and don't take care of your chain.... cleaning and lubricating it you can last a LONG time.....

your not going to snap any teeth off a vortex sprocket unless your adjust way wrong or just plain and simple wear it out to death.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's perfectly fine and normal, you shouldn't wear out a sprocket or chain in 3,000 miles unless you go off roading and don't take care of your chain.... cleaning and lubricating it you can last a LONG time.....

your not going to snap any teeth off a vortex sprocket unless your adjust way wrong or just plain and simple wear it out to death.
Thanks man.... So an O Ring chain well taken care of is Ok Then ? .. What do you personally Lube your chain with .. Since u da man and shit .. Lol and what do you clean your chain with ..Im so glad you answered ..Your advice is gold around here. Thank you:+2:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I use PJ1 chain lube, either the blue or black label.... I also clean my chain with WD-40 or even simple green if i have it, some prefer not to use the wd-40 because of one reason or another but i ran a ERV3 chain on my bike which has x-rings but it took over 12,000 miles of VERY hard abuse before I finally bought another one....

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use PJ1 chain lube, either the blue or black label.... I also clean my chain with WD-40 or even simple green if i have it, some prefer not to use the wd-40 because of one reason or another but i ran a ERV3 chain on my bike which has x-rings but it took over 12,000 miles of VERY hard abuse before I finally bought another one....
I ordered X rings but got O Rings .. Need to install it now cause my chain is damaged . I clean my bike and chain when I wash it with simple green .. I use full strength on the inside of the lower cowl and chain and discs to get the grime off.. I HATE A DIRTY BIKE .. My bike still looks like a showroom bike ..

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well i hope you paid for an o ring and not an x ring.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yea it will be fine:thumbsup:
Not if you don't keep the chain in the right slack condition...I blew many teeth off my Vortex for lack of maintenance at the drag strip..if you don't do that thing maybe....I would be pissed though if I paid for a X-Ring chain and got a 0-Ring..the cost difference can be significant along with the performance/weight/longevity and especially strength on a X-Ring chain with 520 Conv...don't forget your on a High HP bike and that is important when going down in size that you buy a chain that can handle the HP ...just saying you should have sent it back if you didn't get what you ordered.

bloo

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not if you don't keep the chain in the right slack condition...I blew many teeth off my Vortex for lack of maintenance at the drag strip..if you don't do that thing maybe....I would be pissed though if I paid for a X-Ring chain and got a 0-Ring..the cost difference can be significant along with the performance/weight/longevity and especially strength on a X-Ring chain with 520 Conv...don't forget your on a High HP bike and that is important when going down in size that you buy a chain that can handle the HP ...just saying you should have sent it back if you didn't get what you ordered.

bloo

What exactly is the sag measurement of chain .. 3/4 Inch . Dont hit me with MM please I Suck at math . loL .. .. . .... .. . I'll just pimp this chain for a month or so and get the green driven 520 X Ring next month.. Bike Still Tracks right When I Wheelie .,. IT DOES NOT DRIFT RIGHT WHEN I LET GO OF THE BARS ... Has to be me huh./.. Maybe Im clinching hte left Clip on yeah .. Any ideas... If it was front forks, seals or head bearing it would track right when i let go of bars correct

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

bloo

LOL SMALL PRINT SAYS YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR X RING AND KICK IN EXTRA 40 BUCKS .. HELLO THE FUCKING EBAY AD SAID XRING FAG... ERRRRRRRR:thefingerSUM OF ALL PARTS BLOWS ASS

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Wonderful. And some people wonder why I only deal with anything on Fleabay as a last resort.

On my bike, I have a DID 520 ERV3 X-ring premium chain, 17 teeth front, 41 teeth rear (+2 from stock) and it has been fine for more than 20,000 km. (12,000 mi for the math challenged) No drag racing though.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dude. The chain is NOT going to stop it from pulling right " up-on-one".

Its the ROAD. They are pitched right.
I cant belive they let that slide.
Teeth will come off over time if you are "Bringing it up" with the clutch.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude. The chain is NOT going to stop it from pulling right " up-on-one".

Its the ROAD. They are pitched right.
I cant belive they let that slide.
Teeth will come off over time if you are "Bringing it up" with the clutch.
I do not clutch wheelies .... power up in first . for short distances due to redline issues and bounce power wheelies in second... have not tried stand up wheelie yet with new gear change .. ..

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
The chain has nothing to do with the bike walking one way or another when you wheelie, it's either your body position or you're slightly pulling the bike in that direction without realizing it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
im going to tell you that you will have to adjust that o oring chain more often because of stretching. I had a o ring chain and hated adjusting it all the time.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I run the Vortex 520 kit with no problems. Been running 520 kits for over 10 years now. Wheelies, hard launches, everything.

Current setup:

Just a bit of advice FWIW. Don't mess with 1st gear wheelies. No reason to no matter what gearing you run. Learn to clutch it up in 2nd gear. Thank me later.

Also, my 08 pulls to the right on one wheel also. Just get used to it. I can jump on another bike and ride straight all day. Mine pulls right. Your not riding far enough wheelies yet, but if you sort of ride toward the left lane when you lift the wheel it helps. Buys you some time to straighten it up.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Wonderful. And some people wonder why I only deal with anything on Fleabay as a last resort.

On my bike, I have a DID 520 ERV3 X-ring premium chain, 17 teeth front, 41 teeth rear (+2 from stock) and it has been fine for more than 20,000 km. (12,000 mi for the math challenged) No drag racing though.

I am still using the 17/42 Erv3 x-ring conversion with the tri-metal rear sprocket. Cleaning it like garth mentioned above with wd and using pj for lube. 2 yrs track only, but for the price? I am glad with that combination.

·
Registered
186 Posts
:hello:eek:h,come on,chain and sprockets are ok if properly installed.alu rear sprockets are hardened so DON'T WORRY!!Always clean well with wd-40 and lube it with any chain spray,always hot-after a ride-so as to get it well penetrated.chains and sprockets DO LAST,i use the same one after almost 2 years of racing and trackdays,taking care beiing well tensioned:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts