Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I decided to shed somemore weight off the ole girl and upgrade to a 520 front/rear sprocket and chain kit -1 on the front. I slapped it all on and made sure there was no binding and adjust tension on the new chain and decided I would terrorize the mountain road quick before I went home for bed. Well as we all know with a new chain, it throws grease everywhere, so when I got back to the garage, I started cleaning her off and did and after-ride inspection. front sprocket=flawless... Chain=flawless, Rear sprocket=Not so flawless... The peaks (pitch) of the sprocket looked like the old one I just took off with 10,000 miles on it. We all know how a sprocket is supposed to look when we inspect em, and trust me, this one isn't holding up.. There are no broken teeth yet, but that's sure to come. I am pushing 81.6 ft lbs of torque per the dyno, so I am not sure what the 520's are supposed to be capable of handling from DRIVEN, but this has me concerned.. I am supposed to be receiving another sprocket from Sam, another 10.net member in the next day or two, maybe I will have better luck with the one he sent.. Only thing I figure, is that the sprocket isn't HARD ANODIZED... Any suggestions?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Is it coated? and a 520 is a gram littler at best, nexted time just stick with the 525, it will hold up longer any ways...

take a pic lets see whats up....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I will get close ups of the sprocket tomorrow.. But I did snap one before I tightened the chain and took it for a Spin...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have stayed with the 525, but I didn't... So now I gotta find a worthy rear sprocket... CRAP!!!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
run supersprox and you wont have this problem....

I swapped over to the 520 ERVIII and well i should of stayed 525 as i notice the chain just does not have the same service life as a 525 does..
And honestly i cannot feel any difference on the bike, but like yourself i am sure 80ftlbs and 170rwhp that bit of weight on a street/track bike makes NO DIFFERENCE.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I've really always question 520s on liter bikes other than for racing. 600s no problem considering mine even comes with one. I've actually considered going to a 530 on my 10r.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,065 Posts
^^^You gotta love a guy who has spare un-used sprokets just layin around the garage! :mrgreen:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Please check your chain tightness!!! It should have about around 1"' or slightly less play. Tight chains will eat your teeth.It is so crucial to have a well adjusted chain. Dont be dissapointed in 520's because their not that weak... I sent kawboy an afam sprocket so he should be golden.

Reactions: MagicMavis

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Ok, so I decided to shed somemore weight off the ole girl and upgrade to a 520 front/rear sprocket and chain kit -1 on the front. I slapped it all on and made sure there was no binding and adjust tension on the new chain and decided I would terrorize the mountain road quick before I went home for bed. Well as we all know with a new chain, it throws grease everywhere, so when I got back to the garage, I started cleaning her off and did and after-ride inspection. front sprocket=flawless... Chain=flawless, Rear sprocket=Not so flawless... The peaks (pitch) of the sprocket looked like the old one I just took off with 10,000 miles on it. We all know how a sprocket is supposed to look when we inspect em, and trust me, this one isn't holding up.. There are no broken teeth yet, but that's sure to come. I am pushing 81.6 ft lbs of torque per the dyno, so I am not sure what the 520's are supposed to be capable of handling from DRIVEN, but this has me concerned.. I am supposed to be receiving another sprocket from Sam, another 10.net member in the next day or two, maybe I will have better luck with the one he sent.. Only thing I figure, is that the sprocket isn't HARD ANODIZED... Any suggestions?
Good SH$#... I had the same problem with the Vortex rear sprocket, started to eat it up after 2000 miles so I switched to the ultralite Steel 520 rear sprockets. They are cheaper and don't weigh but a few more ounces then the aluminum ones. Check it out:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/16206/1/zx-10r-04-09.html They have an AWESOME DEAL on the newest of DID 520 chains on that page also with the Superlite rear sprocket.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have 3 seasons on a 520 chain and aluminum sprockets. Lots of race starts, some bumpy tracks, some Very high speed tracks as well.

Mine looks great. I am guessing you either got a bad sprocket, or the chain adjustment was subpar.

What brand of chain, sprockets are you using? Did you ensure that you supplier did not get you a 525 rear?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I had correct tension on the Chain (EK) prior to my ride and I miked the sprocket since they initially sent me a 50T instead of a 40T. The front sprocket And chainare both looking stellar and maybe that's standard initial wear for an aluminum sprocket, but I did get a little excessive slack after my 15+ mile mountain run. So maybe that extra slack caused the wear. Either way, I will post some pics this afternoon when I get home this afternoon..
Sprockets are both DRIVEN..

·
Registered
222 Posts
if the sprocket you have is vortex aluminum...consider using an AFAM steel sprocket or supersprox (steel teeth, aluminum hub). seen a lot of missing teeth on vortex Al sprockets.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thats what you can expect out of a cheap aluminum sprocket. Doesn't matter what the pitch of the sprocket is.

I use the Vortex F5 PTFE hardcoated sprockets. No problems at all.

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.p...&view=Products&submenu=&submit.x=8&submit.y=8

A little info.

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Sprockets&category=Products

I have some spare, unused sprockets that I may cut you a deal on if your replacement isn't any better.

I ran these on my built 10 no problems at all for the entire race season....

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I would contact Driven about it. I am not going to say they are the best or anything like that, but i have them on all of my bikes, current and past. I have never once had an issue with any of their sprockets (not saying it cant happen). My 954 had over 25k miles on it and they still looked like new, and i beat the heck out of it. I have no idea how their customer service is, i have never needed it, but i would contact them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats what you can expect out of a cheap aluminum sprocket. Doesn't matter what the pitch of the sprocket is.

I use the Vortex F5 PTFE hardcoated sprockets. No problems at all.

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.p...&view=Products&submenu=&submit.x=8&submit.y=8

A little info.

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Sprockets&category=Products

I have some spare, unused sprockets that I may cut you a deal on if your replacement isn't any better.

:+1:..never had a problem from vortex. Had them on all my previous bikes. The hardcoated will last alot longer. You should grab one of those. The extremely minut difference in weight (were talking ounces at best) between a 520 and a 525 will not make a performance difference in the bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts