Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I'm very curious to find out if anyone on a 2nd gen or possibly 1st gen swapped out their instruments from a 4th gen zx10... Tell you truth I'm a tad bit bored of the 2nd gen gauges... I know people have done 04-05 gauges swaps to a 06-07 or 08-10 gauges with adapters... I know that both connections to the board are completely different. I don't have a 4th gen gauge to play around with but I hope someone has both a 4th and 2nd gen to experiment with Really love the tach on the newer 10's honestly and really really want to swap one to my 07.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,570 Posts
Nobody has done it, because it's not possible. Well, I say that because it would take a lot of engineering and money to make that work. It' possible, but not easy.

It's not anything like just matching up and rewiring the pins on the back of it. The newer gauges are digital and the older ones are more analog. The information for the majority of the data comes directly from the ECU over a CANbus serial communication line. The older ECUs don't communicate that way. The communication line on the older ones isn't CANbus. You can't tie all the information from the old bikes into that without an interface of some sort. You'd have to grab all the data from the sensors on the bike and the ECU, pack them up into a CANbus serial message, and then transmit it to the newer cluster at the proper baud rate and in the right message format. If you know how to do that, the swap might be fun. Otherwise, it's too cost prohibitive to design something like that and figure it all out and that's why no one has done it. You'd be better off buying something like an aftermarket AIM TFT or LCD dash and use the documentation to try and figure out how to wire it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts