Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I fitted my 2014 ZX-10R with ligh-tech axle chain adjusters last year. I went riding this year I gunned it and I believe the axle loosened up or the torque on the axle nut was not tight enough.... I always Torque axle to 90 foot pounds. I believe under heavy acceleration the chain got too loose and I skipped tooth or the chain tried to slip of and snapped on. Under heavy acceleration it snapped back in place nothing broke however the bike jolted up front wheel off the ground. I noticed the axle did move forward and the chain adjuster that holds the axle looked pulled and ovaled out and not round like new. I replaced everything sprockets and chain and even got new axle chain adjuster. I still notice that the chain dose not stay the same tightness it fluctuates while rotating the wheel on a stand I feel like the counter sprocket shaft is bent. I can see it have a minor wobble it don’t look to be a perfect rotating circle under turning. Am I going to have to replace the counter shaft? What am I looking at for replacement on that? Or should I leave it alone. I love the bike I’m extremely upset I only put 3k miles on it. Help please. Will do some more riding today and see what’s up. I hate myself I can not sell the bike I have almost $5,000 in parts into it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Chain tension variation is normal. There will always be a tightest spot.

It's not very likely that you had bent the countershaft--it's probably fine.

94lb for the rear axle nut is what the manual says but it's in fact too much. If you notice after a while, all the spacers will start to get flared out from so much torque. I set mine to about 70ft/lb and I always use a cotter pin to be safe but my nut ever came loose--even if I do as little as 50lb.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chain tension variation is normal. There will always be a tightest spot.

It's not very likely that you had bent the countershaft--it's probably fine.

94lb for the rear axle nut is what the manual says but it's in fact too much. If you notice after a while, all the spacers will start to get flared out from so much torque. I set mine to about 70ft/lb and I always use a cotter pin to be safe but my nut ever came loose--even if I do as little as 50lb.
I agree 90lbs is a lot for sure. I’m gonna bring it down to about 70lb that should be reasonable. I rode the bike and the input shaft feels more centered now, also the chains tight spot dose feel much better. I did hear there was a recall on the transmission on the gen 5 is it possible that my bike may be have a similar re call issue.... I did feel it while in gear come out of gear and almost slam back in gear while in 3rd. Luckily and coincidently I was up shifting because it felt like it almost slammed back into gear. This is crazy. I’m sorry and thanks for all the help. I also have the Gillies rear-sets on the bike,is it possible that the rear-set is causing me not to get the full shifts? Also the recall states that “A high impact force may cause the transmission gears to break during shifting.” It doesn’t make sense on that statement from the re call but I hope this is not something I was experiencing. Is it possible for the bike to disengage from a gear while in gear, under load and then engage back in the gear with a slam? Because that’s what it feels like... and that may have happened the first time.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I agree 90lbs is a lot for sure. I’m gonna bring it down to about 70lb that should be reasonable. I rode the bike and the input shaft feels more centered now, also the chains tight spot dose feel much better. I did hear there was a recall on the transmission on the gen 5 is it possible that my bike may be have a similar re call issue.... I did feel it while in gear come out of gear and almost slam back in gear while in 3rd. Luckily and coincidently I was up shifting because it felt like it almost slammed back into gear. This is crazy. I’m sorry and thanks for all the help. I also have the Gillies rear-sets on the bike,is it possible that the rear-set is causing me not to get the full shifts? Also the recall states that “A high impact force may cause the transmission gears to break during shifting.” It doesn’t make sense on that statement from the re call but I hope this is not something I was experiencing. Is it possible for the bike to disengage from a gear while in gear, under load and then engage back in the gear with a slam? Because that’s what it feels like... and that may have happened the first time.
It will certainly disengage from the gear if you half-ass shift. It's normal. High impacts are not a big deal as these trannies are super strong. I had some crazy impacts from lazy shifts on my gen4 and it was fine. Adjust your rearsets so that you can have positive shirts and also train your foot to do it--especially when you do it quickly.

Recall is a must on all 2016-2018 Gen5 ZX10R bikes. Anyone outside of that is fine. But what recall fixes won't change popping out of gear issue. That's just lazy shifting.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had simular issue with my gen4 when i fitted a quickshifter.
The gearbox would stick from time to time and when i went for my first quickshift if stuck and went bang.
Nothing broke but it had simular tight spots.
It turned out to be the chain was damaged.
Swapped it and it went away.
Also i then had a different sprockets fitted and it happened again.
Its poor machining thats the issue.
I had a talon rear sprocket returned under warrenty as it ran 0.2mm out of true.
Now that doesnt sound alot but that makes a 0.4mm difference between its tightest point and slackest point of which i could actually hear on the bike and on videos of me on track.
Ps ive also had a duff front sprocket from JL which ran out of true.
You need some accurate measuring equipment to measure them.
And 1 more thing. I had a rear sprocket carrier replaced on my gen4 under warrenty because it was machined out if spec making my chain have tight spots.
Hope this info helps.

·
The Pace
7,163 Posts
op, nothing makes sense that you wrote. No way will this bike act like a dork; UNTIL it blows up a valve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ukzx10r I have figured out some important information about the gear box disengaging gears and this is for everyone with the zx10r 4th gen or 5th gen. Making sure when the bike is in neutral that it is running before going into 1st gear and it clicks right into first then make proper shifts through the gears. When the bike is off and in neutral it should remain in neutral until the engine is on and running. I would have the bike off in neutral and then go into first while it’s off then I’d start it and then I would experience that problem. It’s handled now and it has not had a issue at all since m using the gear box like that. Since addressing this issue no problems.

Also After since the incident I got New Renthal sprockets and a new EK gp chain I went for a ride the chain tension is not bad at all however I am convinced that there is borderline between a hair follicle to 1mm bend on the input shaft. Bike rides fine and no issues however it will need a 1500 dollar job to replace input shaft. Also I found a really really good deal on Aprilia RSV4 I may get rid of this bike and just get that or keep it however I’m disappointed ☹ with Kawasaki and they wanna brag about WSBK titles with a bike that will disengage from gears if not used a certain way. They have to warn you. Take a look at this bike disengaged from gear and then engages and blows up in flames on the race track on Tom Sykes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts