Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings 10R.Net Fam,

So, another subject that is always a topic of discussion. Age, location, marital status, credit score, driving record, deductible, etc, all take part of your insurance premiums. But all that aside, being squeaky clean and meeting exceptional "criteria", who are you folks using? USAA did not insure bikes. So I initially went with Progressive, then they had an increase. Changed to State Farm and last year, my premium was an excellent $370.00 for 12 months ($30.00 monthly). This year, they raised my premium to $460 and I was pissed. So, if anyone is beating $460 annually ($38.00 monthly), who are you going through? Tired of all this BS from insurance companies hiking up rates. Not interested in liability. Full coverage riders only. What you are paying for full coverage and who are you going through? Many say my rates are still very low even with the BS insurance premium increase from last year. Pending your input. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I can't comment on insurance across there, but every year when it comes round i always hit up the price comparison websites and get back to my current insurer to match the lowest quote if they don't i just go with the cheapest Fuck Emm they always try to bump it up.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
I carry full coverage. I would say that your rates are pretty dang cheap/competitive. I pay a lot more with Geico than that, but I'm sure I carry a bit more property damagecoverage and my driving record ain't the best. It deosn't help that I'm in a location that can ride year-round either. I've shopped it around in the past and what I'm paying is comparable to other quotes I've got, but it ain't that low. No sense in switching back and forth just to save a few bucks here and there. If it's significantly different, that's one thing. I like the online and mobile access through Geico that I can't get with other companies, I take that into account when the cost might be higher but is within reason.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
858 Posts
I’m in Cali and insurance is a right rip off! I bought my bike for cash, no loan, so bought what we would call in the UK “comprehensive”. I.e. collision, theft, fire un/under-insured motorist etc. etc. etc.

It was a little over $4k per year in 2012, I had Cali good driver etc. etc., but no credit history (new to the US) So to that puts your current rate into a little bit of perspective.

Now I pay $334 per year with Geico for basically liability and medical coverage only, but maxed out.vBut your not interested in that. (Why your not interested I don’t know, as it’s a marker point for you for coverage BELOW what you current are interested in.)

My bike is 8 years old now. I suspect if I payed silly money for full coverage, if I ever needed it they would only insult me with the settlement. There is no what I could even find a used bike, in my current bikes condition, for sale; let alone for the dismal amount of money they would pay me. So it’s not worth it. Basically I am self insuring.

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
In NorCal. All I carry is liability and that is about 170 per year. Work does my medical. Just sweat a bit with new bike as have deer, boar etc. is all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I pay $334 per year with Geico for basically liability and medical coverage only, but maxed out.vBut your not interested in that. (Why your not interested I don’t know, as it’s a marker point for you for coverage BELOW what you current are interested in.)
The reason why I ask is because I was paying $370 last year for full coverage and then they jacked my rates up claiming "Rates went up in our area." Yeah, right. A 25% rate hike? It's all BS how these insurance companies F excellent drivers/riders. Zero claims, tickets, etc and in the "preferred" category. Yet, I reap the benefits of ever-increasing rates or a high-risk rider. Last year, I paid $370 for full coverage (I think it was 300/100/300). And then they upped my insurance premium to $460 at renewal. So I was just trying to gauge where I am compared to others. And I am in southern Arizona where we can ride almost every day of the year (40 miles north of the border).

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
858 Posts
Yeah it sucks giant monkey balls! They jacked my rates up this year too, no tickets or anything here either, been insured on this bike since 2012, never had any accidents or anything, go figure.

Though I did notice full coverage is much cheaper for me now, but still not worth it. (Like $1.8k I think?) I ran a quote when it was time for renewal about 2 months ago.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,778 Posts
The reason why I ask is because I was paying $370 last year for full coverage and then they jacked my rates up claiming "Rates went up in our area." Yeah, right. A 25% rate hike? It's all BS how these insurance companies F excellent drivers/riders. Zero claims, tickets, etc and in the "preferred" category. Yet, I reap the benefits of ever-increasing rates or a high-risk rider. Last year, I paid $370 for full coverage (I think it was 300/100/300). And then they upped my insurance premium to $460 at renewal. So I was just trying to gauge where I am compared to others. And I am in southern Arizona where we can ride almost every day of the year (40 miles north of the border).
Actually, the insurance companies request rate increases through the State they operate in. If they requested a rate hike, the State Government approved that for them based on all the data collected on the requirments of the State and the claims made. Fraud claims are the biggest driver. Florida rates are based on the amount of fraud that happens in the state and the amount of under-insured drivers. My wife works for an insurance company. Michigan just revised all of the requirements and they had a big rate hike due to that. I thought she told me Arizona did something similar. That may be why your rates when up so much, but you should ask your state representatives about that and not soley blame the insurance companies. You're really getting a pretty good rate compared to some of us!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have liability only in oklahoma.. $11 bucks a month with allstate

·
The Pace
7,042 Posts
Full coverage figures above sounds good, my first thought. Everything without med looks good, too.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
You guys have no idea.....I have a 2011 ZX-10R and a 2006 Toyota X-Runner. Both are considered high performance vehicles. Less than 5,000 miles a year.. I pay $185 a month for full coverage on both vehicles. I am 74 years old with no accidents or tickets. That is through AAA and Geico, USAA, Dairyland and Progressive was much higher.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You guys have no idea.....I have a 2011 ZX-10R and a 2006 Toyota X-Runner. Both are considered high performance vehicles. Less than 5,000 miles a year.. I pay $185 a month for full coverage on both vehicles. I am 74 years old with no accidents or tickets. That is through AAA and Geico, USAA, Dairyland and Progressive was much higher.
After 21 loyal years, I finally dumped USAA because they were price gouging among a few other things that should be formally investigated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Here in Canada, I pay about $90/month for full coverage. And I'm 64 years old, impeccable driving record, and eligible for every discount available. The insurance on my Goldwing is significantly higher, as they, in there great wisdom, have determined that a larger engine means more risk. Far from the truth. We get taken to the cleaners up here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Starting to realize that even with my BS 25% premium increase, I am doing rather well at $460 annually for full coverage. Still not liking that rate increase though!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts