Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I turn my 05' zx10r into the local shop. They talk me into putting it on the dyno and playing with the power commander:rolleyes:. I thought my bike felt fine but I knew it popped a bit on decelleration from around the 4k through the 3k area. they tell me I am only pushing 137hp. I give them the ok to adjust it as they thought it needed. They called me back and said they got 151hp out of it, but it pops really bad on decell. I figured it was the same popping I was having, but on the ride home, the bike felt great on accell, and sounded like a car without a muffler or back pressure when downshifting. I thought someone was shooting at me. I haven't really read up too much on the issue but the guys were saying that the zx10's were notorious for it...Do they just not know WTF they are doing, or are they for real? I have a PC, a akropovic slip on and a k&n air filter..Is it that hard to find a decent map that will not pop? :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Get rid of the KLEEN system and put in some block off plates, it will minimize the popping big time. They claim 14 hp by mapping? Sorry gotta call B.S. on that one. Take a sniff on the fumes coming out the back and keep an eye on the carbon build up in the tip, sounds like they added a lot of fuel to it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I Put My Exhaust On, It Was Poping Real Bad And Shooting Out Flames,i Got The Pc3 And Had It Put On A Dyno And Mine Dont Pop Anymore

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they told me the map that was installed by a buddy was actually causing the bike to lose power. They basically got it back where it needed to be. I did complain that day that the exhaust smelled rich as hell.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed the map discussion tread. It seems like alot of guys have quite a combo of components. Is getting rid of the KLEEN system and installing block off plates or installing the tre going to be worth while? I do not want to get into head gaskets and cams (do not want to break into the engine--scared of reliability)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
As always the #'s depend on the type of dyno...i got mine done stock & they said it was 135 at the wheel, pretty close to yours. I've yet to go back since i put a pipe/TRE/K&N/PC3. I remember them saying they could get an extra 10HP with the PC3 tho. Mine pops on downshifts too without a custom map...but it doesn't sound bad like your discribing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it is disturbing. It literally sounds like a old ford van backfiring...LOL..makes me want to stop,drop and roll....:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts