Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of change in compression ratio and hp would I be looking at installing this?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I think it raises it about .25 to .50 of a point in compression so if they are I think 12.9:1 your going to be 13.15:1 - 13.4:1 compression

doing that and degreeing your cams in will gain you a few hp.

p.s you can put a stock exhaust cam from a 04-07 zx10r into the 08-09 to have race cam specs

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thats good info Garth.

What would that do to the power band?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
depending on how you degree the cams it would gain you power everywhere..... but you can degree them to make more power down low or up high. cam timing is something that you just have to dial in

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I heard somewhere that were just interested in intake cams, and what is ment by a few extra hp below 10? I am looking to cam it but I might get the kawi race stuff for internals (Pistons, valves, etc) to get it to pump out some power. Kawi actually says the connecting rods are longer, this would shorten my stroke, thus lowering the CC. I am not catching on to how this increases power.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah, i have not tested any of those cams but the race manual tells you to run a 04-07 exhaust cam on the exhaust side of a 08-09

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I heard somewhere that were just interested in intake cams, and what is ment by a few extra hp below 10? I am looking to cam it but I might get the kawi race stuff for internals (Pistons, valves, etc) to get it to pump out some power. Kawi actually says the connecting rods are longer, this would shorten my stroke, thus lowering the CC. I am not catching on to how this increases power.
If they are making the rods longer, they have probably moved the piston pin up in the piston to make up for it. longers rods will give the rod a better angle would not effect stroke as long as you use the correct pistons for the rods. I dont know much about the kit stuff because its probably cheaper to build a 3 mill with aftermarket parts than just replace the parts with kit parts but if Im right it should say that you have to use the rod with there piston and that it wont work with stock pistons. if you put a longer rod on the factory piston the piston will smash the head. Hope that makes some sense kinda rambled through it:thumbsup:

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
:iamwithst

yeah for almost 500 bucks for one pistons is kinda a lil outta hand lol.... It would be awesome to see someone actually run all the kit parts in a motor to see what kinda hp they get outta them but its quite a big chunk of change!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I just priced out the pistons, pins, rings, and lower end bearings and its at $3,000 bucks lol.... what do you thikn you'd spend that on vince???

oh and the rods are $1,750

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I just priced out the pistons, pins, rings, and lower end bearings and its at $3,000 bucks lol.... what do you thikn you'd spend that on vince???

oh and the rods are $1,750
heres the way I would do it: $500-600 cp or Je 3 mill piston set, $800 crower rods, $400 to bore and plate the cases, carpenters head and cams maybe $2500 if you put it together yourself, $400 for a dry nitrous kit. so for the same money you would have a 3 mill making roughly 185-195 and just put a 40 shot on it for fun thats 230 or so hp. more than enough to have fun with. I would bet without headwork and all the kit parts that motor doesnt make 165 tops if you add headwork into it your now up another $2500 to $7250 for the same 185-195 hp. :thumbsup: Garth I know you thought i was going to say buy a turbo and thats another option but I dont think thats what hes looking for.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah, I was thinking of a turbo option, but get a small one and run just a few psi so I could have power in the midrange, but not looking for an over all 400 hp bike, just want something above 200, prefer N/A.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just got off the fone with the Kawi dealer, the piston is not longer available, so I guess that cancels the kit setup anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts