Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 10 in today to get the valves adjusted and some new oem sparkplugs. They are charging me $450.00 Does that sound about right? They said that it is an all day job. I said well, After 5 years I guess I better dump some money on the 10 to keep her in good shape. I didn't expect that much but it is from an authorized Kawi service center so I hope they know what they are doing.:rolleyes:

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that sounds right from what ive heard

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
That's what I would expect from a dealership and don't forget plugs are around $50. What is thier hourly rate and did they replace any shims or other parts?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I just dropped it off and the price is including shims and plugs. I guess if shims are needed.
Didn't you ask? :heyyou:Call that dealer back up and ask what the hell happened in my Valve inspection, meaning did you mess or adjust ANYTHING. :idea: sounds like you just took their word for it the Inspection was done....sorry to sound harsh but that's putting a lot of trust in your dealer with no accountability or proof they even inspected the valves.

bloo

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Didn't you ask? :heyyou:Call that dealer back up and ask what the hell happened in my Valve inspection, meaning did you mess or adjust ANYTHING. :idea: sounds like you just took their word for it the Inspection was done....sorry to sound harsh but that's putting a lot of trust in your dealer with no accountability or proof they even inspected the valves.

bloo
Why? Because if they said the exhaust valves were a little tight but within spec that would prove they did the inspection? Seriously? If you mistrust all dealers this much, don't be suprised when they don't want to help you out...all I'm saying.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Why? Because if they said the exhaust valves were a little tight but within spec that would prove they did the inspection? Seriously? If you mistrust all dealers this much, don't be suprised when they don't want to help you out...all I'm saying.
True, but any mechanic worth his salt should have written down the measured gap at each shim (i always did). Even a simple napkin note with 16 numbers on it would be enough to convince me that he actually did the inspection.

If there's no notes, then yes, it's just a trust issue. But a good tech service place eliminates trust issues with proper documentation.

Even my boss once told me that a good tech can check valves by "listening to the motor". That may be partially true, but that isn't what the customer paid $450 for. Lots of shops don't do valve inspections when they say they did. I hate to be pessimistic, but that's sometimes reality.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Ease of maintenance is not one of the strong points of this bike (or any other current sport bike). Too much stuff jammed into too tight of a space. Changing the spark plugs is a big job. $450 to do that plus the valve clearances is not surprising. If the cams have to come out to change shims, it really is an all-day job.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Seems to me there should be a price for a valve check, and then a separate price for an adjustment IF NEEDED. An adjustment is much more involved and time consuming.

Personally I wouldn't trust a dealer to put air in my tires while I watched. Somehow they will find a way to cheat you.

Several years ago, one of the local news teams setup a sting. They had a car fully checked out and tuned. Then they would loosen 1 plug wire so it would run rough.

Only 1 shop was honest and didn't charge anything to push the plug wire back on. Most charged over $500, and one charged almost $1500. They had a hidden camera under the hood that showed none did anything but push the wire back on. Generally the bigger the dealer the bigger the charge.

When I was much younger, my friend's dad owned a Yamaha dealership. I wont bother, because you would never believe the stories I heard from him. His dad's favorite statement was "A sucker walks though my door every minute."

I doubt your valves were even actually checked much less adjusted. Did they give you your old plugs back, or are they still in the bike too? Believe me it happens every day.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seems to me there should be a price for a valve check, and then a separate price for an adjustment IF NEEDED. An adjustment is much more involved and time consuming.

Personally I wouldn't trust a dealer to put air in my tires while I watched. Somehow they will find a way to cheat you.

Several years ago, one of the local news teams setup a sting. They had a car fully checked out and tuned. Then they would loosen 1 plug wire so it would run rough.

Only 1 shop was honest and didn't charge anything to push the plug wire back on. Most charged over $500, and one charged almost $1500. They had a hidden camera under the hood that showed none did anything but push the wire back on. Generally the bigger the dealer the bigger the charge.

When I was much younger, my friend's dad owned a Yamaha dealership. I wont bother, because you would never believe the stories I heard from him. His dad's favorite statement was "A sucker walks though my door every minute."

I doubt your valves were even actually checked much less adjusted. Did they give you your old plugs back, or are they still in the bike too? Believe me it happens every day.
Alot of the time when this happens its not the dealership doing it on purpose but the tech themself tell the service manger that the job was done and really did not do it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I jsut had my 15K service done. It was 360 but the valves were in check. I was kinda disappointed when I thought that the 15K service was EVERYTHING. My chain wasn't lubed or adjusted. I have had dealers do that on a simple oil change. They did note that of wear on chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Download the manual and do it yourself. You'll be glad you did when it's all done. Nobody will take the time with your bike like you will. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I should get the 10 back next week and I am sure they will tell me what they found as far as specs. I can't wait to ride it again. It will be like getting a new bike in a sense that this is the first time I have ever put any bike in the shop. Ever. At least in the mean time, the wife has let me drive her hummer some.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my ten back today but it is already back in the shop. They said all my valves were in spec and that they had 2 different Mechs check it to be sure. I got new plugs in and it runs great. I went to pick it up and ride it home and I could instantly tell it was running alot smoother as far as accelleration. She seems to pull harder and smoother but that could be the placebo effect. Now to the bad part. I was in traffic for about 10 minutes and then hit the highway to come home and looked down to see how fast I was going, and the speedo said 0. I thought to myself, they must have forgotten to hook the wires back up. So I pull over to take a quick looksee and put the side stand down and it kept running in gear. Wait a minute.... I turned right around and called my ride and told her to meet me at the shop because I did not pay that much for this. Could I have fixed it? Yes did I want to fix it after paying 466 and some change after taxes to be exact, No! So long story short, They are going to fix whatever they forgot to hook up and then I will get it back. I know that is the last valve job I get done at a shop.:headshake It will be done at a friends or at my house.:dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I got my ten back today but it is already back in the shop. They said all my valves were in spec and that they had 2 different Mechs check it to be sure. I got new plugs in and it runs great. I went to pick it up and ride it home and I could instantly tell it was running alot smoother as far as accelleration. She seems to pull harder and smoother but that could be the placebo effect. Now to the bad part. I was in traffic for about 10 minutes and then hit the highway to come home and looked down to see how fast I was going, and the speedo said 0. I thought to myself, they must have forgotten to hook the wires back up. So I pull over to take a quick looksee and put the side stand down and it kept running in gear. Wait a minute.... I turned right around and called my ride and told her to meet me at the shop because I did not pay that much for this. Could I have fixed it? Yes did I want to fix it after paying 466 and some change after taxes to be exact, No! So long story short, They are going to fix whatever they forgot to hook up and then I will get it back. I know that is the last valve job I get done at a shop.:headshake It will be done at a friends or at my house.:dontknow:
normally the seat of the pants stuff can't be felt by just the spark plug change unless you had a fouled plug, all they did is check the clearance put new plugs and that's it....you should not feel a difference in performance.

Seems they un-hooked the 3 wire plug for speed sensor, I don't remember needing to un-hook that when checking mine...should be an easy fix.....but for the price if you want to avoid the pain I guess that's ok it's your money. Still wish you would have asked what the specs were though or if they wrote down what your clearances were.....next time :wink:

·
YRR
1,595 Posts
do it your self it isnt even that hard!!!

if i can do it then any one can do it!!!
:+1:eek:n doing things yourself. Oil, spark plugs, etc. small things like that you can save alot of money just learning how to do it yourself

But I also would have brought it right back after they forgot to do something so tedious:rolleyes: after paying all that money.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts