Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started great, a nice mild fall day and a 16T CS sprocket....after 1 hour I take the bike to the dealer who wont remove the sprocket because that is an insurance liability to allow to ride home with a hand tightened sprocket nut. I go home disheartened but not ready to give up. I search the zx10r.net website to see a guy claim he used a 32mm socket...I have a 32mm socket! Aha! We have the answer, the 27mm nut just rounds off, but the other surface behind the nut is 32mm! Another 35 minutes and the SOB is off...my father had to step on the 36" breaker bar to bust it loose.
Just thought I'd share my horrible friday....now its raining so no fun test ride.

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
deng that sucks sorry to here man hey at least its done now

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
BNninja said:
It all started great, a nice mild fall day and a 16T CS sprocket....after 1 hour I take the bike to the dealer who wont remove the sprocket because that is an insurance liability to allow to ride home with a hand tightened sprocket nut. I go home disheartened but not ready to give up. I search the zx10r.net website to see a guy claim he used a 32mm socket...I have a 32mm socket! Aha! We have the answer, the 27mm nut just rounds off, but the other surface behind the nut is 32mm! Another 35 minutes and the SOB is off...my father had to step on the 36" breaker bar to bust it loose.
Just thought I'd share my horrible friday....now its raining so no fun test ride.
Thats about avg. :wink:

BD

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
How bad is it raining? Plus the day is not over yet!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
45 minutes flat....had a air compressor

Bnninja....i hope you either held the rear brake or locked the rear tire somehow and didn't use the trans to stop the shaft from spinning!!!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yea, i had a bitch of a time with the sprocket as well. It's all worth it as you will find out. First mod i'll prolly make on the '07, '08 10 whichever year she comes out.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
MAVRIK said:
45 minutes flat....had a air compressor

Bnninja....i hope you either held the rear brake or locked the rear tire somehow and didn't use the trans to stop the shaft from spinning!!!!
Yeah, compressed air and an impact wrench is the trick. Good point on usin' the tire instead of the tranny to hold it too.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I'v got a 16t front on the way. I think goin' up in the back at the same time would be a bit much for me. Hopefully the 16t won't be too much.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Nobody here has yet had a "yeah that thing popped right off" experience. It's a b%tch.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
That would just be too simple in the scheme of life.

·
Registered
672 Posts
How many lbs-ft is the CS sprocket supposed to be tightened to anyway?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
STREETFIGHTER50 said:
How many lbs-ft is the CS sprocket supposed to be tightened to anyway?
92 ft-lbs...

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Andy said:
I think the factory one was tightened to 920 ft-lbs.:badteeth:
Lol...

Mine's gonna fall right off... Just watch and see!

·
Registered
672 Posts
:thumbsup: :cool:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had my father hold the rear brake and the dealership told me to put it into 5th gear or use a torch. I tried that once, and then decided it was too risky...I was going to go and buy an electric impact, but during my search found 100,000,000 people saying the electric impact still was not a 100% guarantee of success. When I turned the nut the rear brake was slipping, so I switched places with my father...he now thinks he's stronger than me...not the case I help the brake so that SOB didn't move.

The dealership wanted $50 to do the job, but I refused to pay that, when an electric impact is $80. If I would have known it would have taken me 4 hours I would have gladly forked over the money. My only problem was I rode it up to the dealership torn apart, no speedo...I had done all of the work for them. Pay them $50 to take a nut off, loosen my rear axle bolt, adjust chain forward, and slip the new one on? Come on, that would take them 25 minutes max. Setting the speedo healer was perhaps the easiest part of my day!

From now on I'm only adding rear sprockets +2 normally works and is almost equal to the -1 on the front.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Well it all depends, you could of called another dealer 50 sounds way to high I paid 25. Also the stock chain is pretty small, I beleive if you go with +2 in the rear you would require a new chain. Next time I'm going -1/-1 I think that is the perfect combo in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the $50 included installation of the new sprocket..if you didn't figure that out yet.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Frankyoz said:
Well it all depends, you could of called another dealer 50 sounds way to high I paid 25. Also the stock chain is pretty small, I beleive if you go with +2 in the rear you would require a new chain. Next time I'm going -1/-1 I think that is the perfect combo in my opinion.
Good luck findin' a -1 rear sprocket unless you get somebody to make one. I haven't been able to find anybody who makes and stocks 'em.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts