Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my ram intake tube on my 08 3rd gen and was curious to know what the little box, bubble, square looking deal is that petrudes off the bottom is and what purpose does it serve?? What would happen if i take it off and plug that hole??? Good..Bad??

Also while was there i also noticed there are two hole in the frame itself in the intake path between the intake tube an the intake box, again why?? what would happen if i were to close them off?? Good, Bad???

If i wanted to maximize intake airflow and pressure would closing them off help me achieve that. thanks in advance.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
It a resonator to reduce the intake sound coming back up through the intake from the motor. It also serves a secondary purpose of separating water out of the intake for riding in the rain and such. People have plugged/blocked it before and shouldn't cause you any many issues.

As far as performance gains, there won't be any. You're trying to achieve a higher static pressure in the airbox which won't be affected by reducing the volume by removing this. Ram air works by converting the dynamic air pressure into static pressure. If you can completely seal the airbox tightly so there's no air leaks, you'll be better off than removing the resonator. But it won't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks .that helps a lot! Just what I was looking for. What about holes in the frame, right before the airbox...same purpose?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,561 Posts
Well, not really sure on the holes in the frame, but my guess would be maintenance access for some reason. Either in the manufacturing process to get a welder in there or something like that. Possibly as a resonator, but being on the side of the frame rails, it's not for water/debris separation purposes. They may be there to help with the venturi affect, but again, I'm just speculating on those. The shape and placement is peculiar and they are definitely there for a reason.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
Also while was there i also noticed there are two hole in the frame itself in the intake path between the intake tube an the intake box, again why?? what would happen if i were to close them off?? Good, Bad???

If i wanted to maximize intake airflow and pressure would closing them off help me achieve that. thanks in advance.
There was an explanation for the 2 holes in the frame in a 2008 edition of RoadRacing World. I will have to dig it out when I get home tonight.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
There was an explanation for the 2 holes in the frame in a 2008 edition of RoadRacing World. I will have to dig it out when I get home tonight.
Here is a picture of a graphic of the frame of the 2008 I would guess Kawasaki provided to RoadRacing World. Those 2 holes in the frame are BLUE in color which corresponds to "resonator holes" added.

Probably noise absorption? :dontknow:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts