Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they make a lightened flywheel for a 3rd gen Zx10.
If not does anyone know the weight of the first gen flywheel and is it compatible with the 3rd gen...

·
Registered
881 Posts
Does anyone know if they make a lightened flywheel for a 3rd gen Zx10.
If not does anyone know the weight of the first gen flywheel and is it compatible with the 3rd gen...

Ι recently bought one I found on ebay,it's a kit generator for a 2nd GEN but I was told by people in here that it is the same...

As far as weight goes,since I'm using the same setup on my K7 1000 and the rotors of the GSX-R and the ZX10 seem to be identical...

The stock GSX-R 1000 rotor is 600 gramms ,the kit inner rotor is 330 gramms

I expect the ZX10 rotors to be somewhere close,but I'll let you know of the exact weight differences as soon as I have it on my hands...

Ι'll post some pictures later

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem that I understand with the kit generator that it doesn't produce enough power to run lights its for track use only...does anyone know the weight of the one of the first gen??? From my understanding it's lightest but will it fit???

·
Registered
700 Posts
The first gen does not have a conventional rotor. It has a long tube style generator that is gear driven off the crankshaft on the back of the motor that spins 2x engine rpm. some where in the 26,000 rpm ball park. That is on a long steel shaft with bushings. The only one like it in motorcycles that i have ever seen.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just food for thought, does unplugging the generator gain any hp? I think they are total loss systems so unplugging it would decrease the drag correct. Maybe a switch to disable it for quick street racing.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just food for thought, does unplugging the generator gain any hp? I think they are total loss systems so unplugging it would decrease the drag correct. Maybe a switch to disable it for quick street racing.
Unfortunately not. I had the same idea, and spoke to a friend who runs a bike shop. My idea was to use a gravity / mercury switch, such that the switch would be on under braking (adding engine braking to slow the bike down), but off under acceleration. My friend pointed that 10 alternators are permanent-magnet type, but simply switching off the circuit won't reduce the drag. However, it is relevant for the electro-magnet type (eg '90 ZXR750 / ZX7).

My bike is track use only, so I installed a kit alternator.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
700 Posts
Unfortunately not. I had the same idea, and spoke to a friend who runs a bike shop. My idea was to use a gravity / mercury switch, such that the switch would be on under braking (adding engine braking to slow the bike down), but off under acceleration. My friend pointed that 10 alternators are permanent-magnet type, but simply switching off the circuit won't reduce the drag. However, it is relevant for the electro-magnet type (eg '90 ZXR750 / ZX7).

My bike is track use only, so I installed a kit alternator.

Cheers,
Brian
Yep you are correct, If there is wire in the magnetic Field it will induce a current either way now that i think about it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep you are correct, If there is wire in the magnetic Field it will induce a current either way now that i think about it.
Yeah, file it under 'seemed like a good idea at the time' ... :smile:

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts