Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered but I didnt have much luck with the search button. Has anyone done much cam work with the 08-09's? Degree stock cams?
Swap to aftermarket? Just wanting to see what gains are being seen

·
Registered
137 Posts
English magazine "Performance Bikes" did a 2 or 3 part project to have the stock cams reground & degreed to gain more Midrange, they got good results without loosing anything on the top end.
If I remember correctly it was in issues January to March 09.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you can bear with me I will try to scan and upload the 2 issues I have that cover exactly what was done, aint tried scanning n uploading to this site so don't know how high i can go on resolution to give clear image.
gimme couple of days n I'll av it sorted, maybe MagicMavis can do it quicker better ?, don't matter who puts it up as long as the info gets on here :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks guys. I was kinda questioning the regrind as the source of the said gains. I do wish I had a B&N closer, but driving an hour and a half to read seems abit out of the way. What degree's are you going with MagicMavis. Are you going to aftermarket cam sprockets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Project Midrange

Taken from P.B Jan 2009

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Project Midrange

Taken from P.B. Feb 2009

Attachments

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Interesting project. The thing is, I am not sure if I would have gone about it the way that PB had. The regrind cams have reduced lift (especially on the intake) and the same duration.

Having spent some seat time with a full system and race ecu (with ignition advance and still working on the fuel mapping), the '08 feels every bit as ferocious and even more wicked on the top end when compared to my moodded out Gen 1 174 rwhp 10R.

I cannot confirm this (yet), but in my opinion the KIMS system and the secondary throttle programming really neuters the grunt of the motor. I can toggle the KIMS on and off on my bike, and it's noticeable in power delivery. I have set my secondaries to open fully sooner too, and this adds to urgency in how the bike pulls at mid RPM's. This "programmng intervention" is probably more than anything to save noobs.

I'll be going a completely different direction than PB. I am more than happy with the low-midrange performance of my 10R now to the point that I've left my gearing on my 520 kit to the stock 17/41 (I was running -1F/+1R on my Gen 1). I'll be throwing in some kit cams, degreeing it, and a thin head gasket in the off season, which hopefully will add to the performance.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running a full system with the secondaries removed and -1 up front so i am more than happy with the power I have now. That being said I am still very interested in the power gains with cams for a winter project (Doesnt hurt to start researching early). How soon are you doing the kit cams Rspec99?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just got my cams back from the UK today...

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
congrats :thumbsup:. i still havent put mine in yet. i have a ton of things going in at the same time. just waiting to do everything at once. i have a new clutch, spare cylinder head with kawi race intake valves, bsd cams, race ecu, bazzaz tc, my new forks with ohlins 25mm kit, new ohlins sd021 steering damper, new rubber for my marchesinis and i think thats it for right now.
Just got my cams back from the UK today...

·
Registered
342 Posts
We expect dynojet results by tonight...
Months away.. additional internal mods. to be done.. :eek:ccasion1
Wanting a mid-range monster.. +3mm JE pistons w/ Carrillo's

·
Registered
384 Posts
i am about two weeks out from putting in the kawi kit cams, a fellow member is on the same project and time line as me. so we will have an 08 and 09 zx10 trying different cam degrees. will be posting results im sure and hope we can give some insight to yur question

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting project. The thing is, I am not sure if I would have gone about it the way that PB had. The regrind cams have reduced lift (especially on the intake) and the same duration.

Having spent some seat time with a full system and race ecu (with ignition advance and still working on the fuel mapping), the '08 feels every bit as ferocious and even more wicked on the top end when compared to my moodded out Gen 1 174 rwhp 10R.

I cannot confirm this (yet), but in my opinion the KIMS system and the secondary throttle programming really neuters the grunt of the motor. I can toggle the KIMS on and off on my bike, and it's noticeable in power delivery. I have set my secondaries to open fully sooner too, and this adds to urgency in how the bike pulls at mid RPM's. This "programmng intervention" is probably more than anything to save noobs.

I'll be going a completely different direction than PB. I am more than happy with the low-midrange performance of my 10R now to the point that I've left my gearing on my 520 kit to the stock 17/41 (I was running -1F/+1R on my Gen 1). I'll be throwing in some kit cams, degreeing it, and a thin head gasket in the off season, which hopefully will add to the performance.
How does one disable the KIMS properly? How did you redo the secondary (oval plates) to open quicker? This would a bunch of riders to know. :thumbsup:

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
How does one disable the KIMS properly? How did you redo the secondary (oval plates) to open quicker? This would a bunch of riders to know. :thumbsup:
Race ECU would be my guess...

·
Registered
522 Posts
i'd like to know more about these uk re-grind cams............... like how can i get them ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts