Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alrite guys .....just got home from work bout hour ago and went rite to taking the plates out of my 10......was pretty easy , also took some pics and will try to get them up soon(hahaha yall shd know its gonna take a while for my slow ass to post um)....anyway gettn ready to put on my leathers and take it out for a test run a few miles....its freakn 32* where i live ...this shd be fun.....but i'll post up the diff in feel of the power when i get back in a bit......hold tite :badteeth::badteeth:.....................:banamet::banamet::banamet::banamet:UPDATE JUST GOT BACK FROM THE COLD 20 MILE RIDE well lemme say this i think kawa put the green on the tach at 6k before they put the plates in, because now at 6k it is fully awake no waiting around for power.....before the plates i could feel my bikes power coming on at 6k and it was fully there at 7k-8k.....but now .....it starts to pull at 4k and is running like hell at 6k ........for you o8 owners that wanna do this it is real simple ...but before you do it take your bike out and go for a ride ...and i want ya to put the bike in 2nd gear goin down the road and get the rpms up to 6k then slam it open and feel the slite lag till it hits 8k or so.........then carry your lucky to be having 08 zx10 ass back to your shop/home/condo/tent or where ever your gonna do this FREEEEEE MOD and take the bike apart and get them lil guys outa there ....and after everything is done take it back out and do 2nd gear 6k drop of thrttle again and see what i mean by opens up fast.......i done this mod on my 04 zx10 and my zx12 and few buddies zx14's zx10's and never has none of them besides the 14 had this much seat of your pants feel of power dif......... ill be putting some how-to pics up as soon as i can....just few words of caution when doin this mod........ MAKE SURE TO USE A MAGNETIC SCREWDRIVER WITH A BLUNT NOT SHARPE POINT ON IT..THINK I USED A #2 SIZE....AND WHEN TAKING THE SCREWS OUT DONT APPLY TO MUCH PRESSURE JUST ENUF TO GET THE SCREWS OUT...IF YOU APPLY ALOT OF PRESSURE IT WILL MAKE THE PLATES OPEN AND THERE COULD BE A CHANCE OF KNOCKING THE OTHER PLATE OPEN AND DROPING A SCREW IN THE MOTOR......JUST TAKE YOUR TIME..... later guys ...zxdave

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh And For The People That Do This ...prolly best To Put The Plates Away Somewhere In Case Ya Need Them Again.......

·
Registered
448 Posts
Oh And For The People That Do This ...prolly best To Put The Plates Away Somewhere In Case Ya Need Them Again.......
:eek:t: but :+1:
I hate when I hear someone say they "threw this or that stock part away". :angryfire
Thought I was the only one that felt this way. :mrgreen: :eek:ccasion1

But man I'm pumped... sounds like the 08's gonna be a beast :deathmeta

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah bro i think few months down the road after alot more aftermarket parts come out it will be a top dog in every aspect of motorcycle racing ....it is so freaking powerful in stock trim....its crazy ....but taking them plates out has made a nite and day diff in low-end power output for sure

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could that be due to mods being done b4 it on the 04? or was it one of the first mods also?
nahhh bro all the bikes ive ever owned have always been stock when i got um... i like to do all my mods....least the ones i can and have tools for.....like i said it was a dif on the 04 as well dont get me wrong......but the dif on the 08 was crazy in power output down low...... slamimg the gas open now at 6k feels like it did before the mod at 8to9k ..... :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hmmm I wonder if the bike A/F is off due to more air entering sooner. Does the bike feel lean at all? I guess the throttle response sharpened up? Goddamit man I want my 08 now:sad:
________
Solder Iron Vaporizer

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm I wonder if the bike A/F is off due to more air entering sooner. Does the bike feel lean at all? I guess the throttle response sharpened up? Goddamit man I want my 08 now:sad:
nah bro it feels good.....i aint a exprt but it dont sound to be running lean.....iam get it on my buddys 250i dyno here shortly and see what its doin........but as far as i know the computer shd make changes needed to a/f now with the plates out.......i took um ouy my 04 10 at 2100miles and my buddies 14 at 320miles or so, and when i sold the 10 it had 15000plus on it and my buddies 14 has 17k or better on it now and no problems at all

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
most likely it is off and requires a remap. The OEM ecu can only compensate so far then its done so at this point its all a guess until someone does some dyno testing.

Some dyno work before and aft would have been the tell tale of what effects it has throughout the entire power band as well as how the A/F ratio was effected, and yes it was effected.

BD

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
most likely it is off and requires a remap. The OEM ecu can only compensate so far then its done so at this point its all a guess until someone does some dyno testing.

Some dyno work before and aft would have been the tell tale of what effects it has throughout the entire power band as well as how the A/F ratio was effected, and yes it was effected.

BD
YEAH NO DOUBT IT WAS AFFECTED B.D. .... JUST NOT BAD ENUF TO HURT NOTHING I DONT THINK.....BUT ILL HAVE IT ON MY BUDDIES DYNO SOON AND WILL SEE......DEF " SEAT OF THE PANTS DIF" FOR SURE.....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Is it a closed loop system? If so, I wonder how much variation the ECU can adjust for. Presumably, you would only map for a full system or at WOT.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it a closed loop system? If so, I wonder how much variation the ECU can adjust for. Presumably, you would only map for a full system or at WOT.
not to sure ......if its open or closed system......but iam pretty sure not 100percent but pretty sure that the stock ecu has enuf to take up the slack.....kawa only put those 2ndry plates in to limit the power under 6k so that people would not go out and slam on the gas and loop the bike...... thats why i think it can...sure like b.d. said it has def changed the af ratio but not enuf to harm the motor i dont think....but soon as my pipe comes and there is a pc3 out for it ...its goin on the dyno for cutom map

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
nah ...no way...you could tell that the 04 power was better down low after this mod, but nothing like the 08 dif. it is freaking nasty at 6k now
first off, im glad to see someone finally step up and do this mod, esp on the 08. second, i can totally relate to your reaction to the difference before and after. i dont know how you can say this generation doesnt compare to the first gen when you did this mod but i felt a surge in the midrange around 6k like you did. never the less, screw secondaries! :eek:ccasion1 i think any sportbike owner who has them installed would be a fool not to remove them and give it a twist. you dont need a remap for this, but a custom map doesnt hurt any bike no matter what the mods.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts