Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting an '07 10 engine into a golf cart. I am also adding a t25 turbo. I plan to use an FMU with the stock injection as the t25 wont add too much more power to the equation. The 2 main questions I have are as follows:

1: Are there any mods needed to the MAP sensor to keep the kawi ECU happy under boost?
2: Where is a reliable source to pull an oil feed?

Any other info is of course welcomed!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You should add at least 2 check valves into the vacuum lines leading to your OEM MAP sensor on the throttle bodies. Otherwise the boost will damage the MAP sensor.

You can tee off the oil pressure switch sensor for oil supply to the turbo.

Happy golfing!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Freakin Sweet!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
How in the sam hell do you think you're going to get traction?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll keep this updated periodically so you have something to shake your head at :eek:ccasion1

dsabat: Thanks for the info. Since I have the freedom to mount the turbo pretty much anywhere, the return is going into the oil fill cap. Saw that on someones turbo build, thought it was pretty simple. The turbo will sit just behind the TB's and feed directly into the plenum I'm building.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Absolutely hilarious ! The perfect Christmas gift for the keen golfer who just doesn't have the time to loiter between shots :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will periodically update this thread and let you know how I'm making out. :thumbsup: :hello:

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Well, since you asked so nicely... :thumbsup: :crackup:
:spit:

That is awesome, but you're still gonna smoke them babies off!

What a donut monster that thing is gonna be though, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little more progress. Pretty much have the turbo plumbing buttoned up. Just need to do oil feed and return. Speaking of the return, where have you guys used to get back into the case? I was going to return to the oil cap, but it's not ideal. I am debating tapping a hole into the case near the clutch. Could the trans vent be used with some mods?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sure, as long as there is plenty of volume in the tubing, you don't want it to back up and push past the seals.

You planning to keep the boost low? Stock compression and pistons?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sure, as long as there is plenty of volume in the tubing, you don't want it to back up and push past the seals.

You planning to keep the boost low? Stock compression and pistons?
What was the sure in reply to? I'm guessing the trans vent comment. I know that is baffled to keep oil in, just wans't sure how well it drained back. Guess I'll have to pop it and take a look. The drain hose wouldn't be too awful long. But yes, stock compression, pistons on a stock silvia turbo (8 psi or so). The turbo is only good for 220 max.

Remember, this is a utility cart, with limited shenanigans. Meaning that it won't get beat on too much... :bs: :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
346 Posts
Your gunna need a high psi fuel pump and a rising rate regulator to support the fuel needs of your turbo. Your also in need of a custom map, and that means a dyno session with a competent tuner.
Pull your oil feed to the turbo off either end of your main oil feed rail and install a .030 resrtictor into your center section feed line or you will blow the turbo seal out.
Run a set of NGK CR9E Busa plugs @ .018. And redo your dump pipe, its way too small.
Get with Mr Bell "Corky" @ BEGI, or at least read his books before you begin.
The best one to read is "Maximum Boost".
If you seriously have your heart set on a turbo I will send you a copy of one of my custom maps for a stock Gen1 @ 5lbs boost and all the settings (fuel psi, ign timing etc). Should get you close enough to get going safely.

·
Registered
346 Posts
A little more progress. Pretty much have the turbo plumbing buttoned up. Just need to do oil feed and return. Speaking of the return, where have you guys used to get back into the case? I was going to return to the oil cap, but it's not ideal. I am debating tapping a hole into the case near the clutch. Could the trans vent be used with some mods?
Im not telling you what to do with your build but your bearing on the tower is a real bad idea and will probably kill someone the first time you pop the clutch.
Run some 3/8 plate, box the shaft in and fasten it to the engine. The shaft looks too small also. If it flexes at all your in serious trouble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your gunna need a high psi fuel pump and a rising rate regulator to support the fuel needs of your turbo. Your also in need of a custom map, and that means a dyno session with a competent tuner.
Pull your oil feed to the turbo off either end of your main oil feed rail and install a .030 resrtictor into your center section feed line or you will blow the turbo seal out.
Run a set of NGK CR9E Busa plugs @ .018. And redo your dump pipe, its way too small.
Get with Mr Bell "Corky" @ BEGI, or at least read his books before you begin.
The best one to read is "Maximum Boost".
If you seriously have your heart set on a turbo I will send you a copy of one of my custom maps for a stock Gen1 @ 5lbs boost and all the settings (fuel psi, ign timing etc). Should get you close enough to get going safely.
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing the turbo thing for about 15 years. I've read and studied alot of what Corky has had to say. I have a walbro 255 HP pump, aeromotive regulator and a vortech FMU already. The dyno session is already setup. This turbo setup is more of a novelty, than all out performance. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im not telling you what to do with your build but your bearing on the tower is a real bad idea and will probably kill someone the first time you pop the clutch.
Run some 3/8 plate, box the shaft in and fasten it to the engine. The shaft looks too small also. If it flexes at all your in serious trouble.
Thanks for your input. I trust my engineering work, and will see how it holds up when I'm done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts