Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
secondary butterfly valves are under your air intake stacks in the airbox and control airflow to the throttle bodies. Throttle position does not necessarily reflect the same open position in the valves. rough example: 50% throttle = 30% airflow from valve depending on where you are in the rev range, FI maps etc. If you remove them you unrestrict your airflow a little bit because you only have your primary butterfly valves (underneath 2ndary) to control airflow. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. I think there is a thread on how to remove them on here somewhere. I personally haven't removed mine because I wouldn't think it would make that much difference for the effort plus I have a TRE which does pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong guys. I think there is a thread on how to remove them on here somewhere.
If you search "secondary butterflies" its there as a poll and "how to".OP is hesaves. there are 76 effing pages that I read last night. some people swear by it, and others say it doesn't do anything.
the drawback is that you have to get the bike remapped and the throttle response is supposedly more sensitive ie: twitchy. it is possible that removing them can cause the fuel ratio to be dangerously lean without a tune.
the pro is that many people say the low and mid range feel way better. someone put it "the beast has been awakened." others say they feel a real difference at 6000rpm and above.
I decided not to take them out because I dont intend on remapping.

hope this helps, and many people would tell you to search more thouroughly next time.

cheers

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
If you search "secondary butterflies" its there as a poll and "how to".OP is hesaves. there are 76 effing pages that I read last night. some people swear by it, and others say it doesn't do anything.
the drawback is that you have to get the bike remapped and the throttle response is supposedly more sensitive ie: twitchy. it is possible that removing them can cause the fuel ratio to be dangerously lean without a tune.
the pro is that many people say the low and mid range feel way better. someone put it "the beast has been awakened." others say they feel a real difference at 6000rpm and above.
I decided not to take them out because I dont intend on remapping.

hope this helps, and many people would tell you to search more thouroughly next time.

cheers
:+2: mine was, but the gain was there on my dyno chart after tune:eek:ccasion1:...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i went ahead and removed them last nite n WOW!! the difference is nite n day the bottom end feels i went up 2 teeth in the rear n continues all the way to redline ... rec everyone remove there's

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
i went ahead and removed them last nite n WOW!! the difference is nite n day the bottom end feels i went up 2 teeth in the rear n continues all the way to redline ... rec everyone remove there's
Are you running a power commander? If so are you running a base map from the site .. I would get a tune .... lean conditions always make your bike scream.... but yeah they help a crap load ... my ride is already twitchy cause I have the R6 throttle tube for a 1/6 turn

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
:+2: mine was, but the gain was there on my dyno chart after tune:eek:ccasion1:...
Sup brutha ? Guess what im getting next week? The under belly hardrock MotorSports HR1 Riot series pipe. They are here in spokane and doing it all up next week. Hitting the Dyno before and after so ill be posting another re jewelry ... and before you say it I know... im always like this though. Im never satisfied. Itsnever fast enough. It never looks good enough. Itsnever clean enough. Hahahahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts