Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

265lb rider....

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BusaCaptain 
#1 ·
yeah..im 6'3' 265. what should I do to " be safe" riding as far as heavier spring? not looking to break the bank. will have a rider occasionally as well. go ahead with the fat jokes...im ready. lol:crackup::helmet:

#2 ·
It depends. If you just want springs front and rear, just about any half way competent shop can order parts and do the work for you.

If, while you're in there, you want to have more work done there are options. My personal go to for suspension is Dan Kyle at kyleusa.com.

For reference, I'm on a Gen 2 at 6'6" and 275 right out of the shower. Dan got my bike about as dialed in as it can get. My old RC51 was worked over by Dan and was absolute magic.

#3 · (Edited)
the fronts should be "ok" since its so over sprung for most people. i think 265 should be like a 12.5kg/mm spring constant? im not a hundred percent sure.

just used racetechs spring calc for a gen 4.. race is 13.131kg/mm street is 12.784 gen 3 race is 12.927 street is 12.674 idk what bike you have. the spring calculator is a decent place to start, but its by no means the end all be all in spring choices. you would have to ride with a few springs and see the difference. i can tell you anything will probably be better than the 9.xxx kg/mm spring thats on there. while you are doing the spring its always a good idea to revalve. id hate to see you riding a pogostick around.

#4 ·
Elka Rear Shock

I'm at 245lbs on a gen 4 with stock front and an Elka replacement rear (about $800 to my door). Initially I was going to have the stock shock resprung, but because of the spring weight increase, the stock shock would have to also be revalved to work properly - add in shipping and labor (and down time) and the cost was almost as much as the more adjustable Elka. Bike works great for aggressive street riding.

- CW

#5 ·
I'm at 245lbs on a gen 4 with stock front and an Elka replacement rear (about $800 to my door). Initially I was going to have the stock shock resprung, but because of the spring weight increase, the stock shock would have to also be revalved to work properly - add in shipping and labor (and down time) and the cost was almost as much as the more adjustable Elka. Bike works great for aggressive street riding.

- CW
or if you can do it yourself its about an hour and a half job. no elka! elka baddddd! not really its fine they were just a competitor of the company i used to work for.

#12 ·
I'm 255. Upgrades for the track are restrung and valves fronts and ohlins 3 way adjustable rear shock with spring per sag rate. I run in the advanced class in FL and NJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.