Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it be ok too use 20w-50 amsoil in my 06 10?i know i can use 10w-40,but is it safe to use 20w oil.also how much are you guys paying for 4 quarts of amsoil in the us of A,in the uk they want £65!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
would it be ok too use 20w-50 amsoil in my 06 10?i know i can use 10w-40,but is it safe to use 20w oil.also how much are you guys paying for 4 quarts of amsoil in the us of A,in the uk they want £65!
i pay about $10 qt

·
Registered
308 Posts
If it is hot enuff. Alot of people including dealers use it around here. Temps are 115+f. here. I would say upper 90's - 100's and your good. If it is not that hot where you are I would stick with 10-40.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
20w50 is waaay too thick.

These aren't the old days and your bike doesn't have an air-cooled engine so the outside temps have very little to do with the viscosity of oil you use. The ambient temperature only really matters at startup and even then you always want a "thin" oil so it gets to the important parts of the engine as quickly as possible.

5w40 is the "thickest" oil you should ever use, imo.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've always used 20 50 when it's super hot, but change it out if the temps start to drop. I wouldn't think the UK would ever be hot enough.

I've never paid more than about $8 QT, but I always buy volume. I would try amsoil.com, and see if they can ship to the UK.

Just to clarify, I run 20 50 in my 10, which is mainly a track bike; and my race bikes (dirt). My street only bike pretty much only gets 10 40. I tend to forget that everyone's 10 isn't a track bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts