Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:hello: to 10R family,

I'm about to start a 20k service, CR9EIA-9 - Iridium Spark Plug, uni air filter, rear brake pads, and check/adjust valves.

I want a new chain and rear sprocket, do i need to change the front sprocket too?? any advice on the new chain and sprockets?? or should i go with OEM?

Anything else for 20k service?

Here is service manual for 06-07 ZX-10r..... http://volksdragon.net/dusk/06-07 ZX10R Service Manual.pdf

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I say it wouldn't hurt but go with front/rear and chain all at once so the wear is all the same!! But check coolant levels on top of bleeding your brakes but you really covered everything. Just make sure to check every last bolt LOL...But a good charge on the battery isn't a bad ideal either. every time I pull my bike apart to do a little service etc. I always check or charge my battery...

air filter too, I'd say change it if you haven't!!

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
Visually inspect the front sprocket. You may not have to change it but I would. OEM chain is fine unless you want something fancy or a 520 conversion. Make sure you have a good chain tool. Cheap ones break. Motion Pro makes a nice one for about a hundy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I recommend an entire drive set also. I'm not sure why motomummy.com isn't a sponsor here but he has great deals on drivesets and its nice to pick exactly what brand chain and sprockets you want, in about any ratio you can imagine, free shipping to boot.

I agree with ripper, get a good chain tool. I bought an RK tool, its great. I suggest grinding the heads of the pins before you push the pins out of your old chain, less stress on the tool. That way you are simply pushing the pins (without the heads) thru the plates.

I went with Driven sprockets and an RK GXW 520 pitch set, I have over 17K miles on it and it is still in excellent shape. I only had to adjust it 1 time after the first 100 miles or so. I still check it once a week and clean/lube it at the same time. Take care of it and it will last.

·
T Double D
870 Posts
i personally dont like motomummy at all they are bad to deal with horrible customer service whoever the girl is that ansewers the phone is has some bad karma coming her way it took weeks for anything i ordered to get to me from them and they are overpriced compaired to hard racing or our site sponsors like mary at superbike supply or lexusrx just pm her always the best prices and shipping

·
Registered
609 Posts
i personally dont like motomummy at all they are bad to deal with horrible customer service whoever the girl is that ansewers the phone is has some bad karma coming her way it took weeks for anything i ordered to get to me from them and they are overpriced compaired to hard racing or our site sponsors like mary at superbike supply or lexusrx just pm her always the best prices and shipping
:+1:MotoDummy sucks. Mary will do you right.

Like everybody else said, replace both sprockets and chain at the same time. Sure the front may go longer, but it's the cheapest piece of the 3; why increase the wear on the others?

If you don't have a rivet tool, you may want to check out the EK chain. They have a rivet link that doesn't need a special tool. It was simple to use, and I've never heard anything bad about them. Check out their website for details.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Also change water and brake fluids if they are on the bike for 2 years...Lube clutch/throttle cable(s)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:banamet:.....20k service done!!

had to adjust few valves and throttle sync....yea, air filter was filthy...:badteeth:

put some new rotella and hiflo filter, also new bt016....took her out for spin on redwood rd....

oh man....she is feeling and running so so sexxay!!.....i think my wifey is getting jealous...thats a good thang:crackup:

thanks family:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
was it that bad to do your valves yourself?

it was not bad at all because i just watched and learned..:lol:

i had a moto doctor come over to my garage from my other forum.....he took off all the fairings...tank, changed everythang...even adjusted my chain and had a beer afterwards...:beer2:

he had the whole shim collection and....yea to answer your question, it woulda took me 8 hrs...he was done in 4 hrs....charged me $280 for labor and i made a new friend!

p.s. save the :eek:ccasion1:beer2: after you put the wrench down...:wink:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
it was not bad at all because i just watched and learned..:lol:

i had a moto doctor come over to my garage from my other forum.....he took off all the fairings...tank, changed everythang...even adjusted my chain and had a beer afterwards...:beer2:

he had the whole shim collection and....yea to answer your question, it woulda took me 8 hrs...he was done in 4 hrs....charged me $280 for labor and i made a new friend!

p.s. save the :eek:ccasion1:beer2: after you put the wrench down...:wink:
that's a very good price. I did it myself and it took about 5 hours. F**k that! never again.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That's a pretty sweet deal! I just had the 20k stuff done on my 6RR not too long ago...valves, throttle sync, brake fluids, drive set, and all that. It's amazing how much better the bike rides after that stuff is done...almost feels like a whole new bike. I'm feelin' what you mean by being in love all over again.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
^^^^ :+1:

Even though most competent mechanics can do it quicker, the service is something like a 5-6 hour job. Seeing as though most shops around here charge $400+ for that service, I think it's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
$280 is a great price... I wish I had a travelling moto mechanic in my neck of the woods! I can't trust stealerships... how do you know the work is actually being done?!

New guy obviously has all the insight.. and he's off to a great start making friends! heh heh..

·
Registered
71 Posts
$280 is a great price... I wish I had a travelling moto mechanic in my neck of the woods! I can't trust stealerships... how do you know the work is actually being done?!

New guy obviously has all the insight.. and he's off to a great start making friends! heh heh..
You're right I do have all of the insight. Im an ASE certified automobile mechanic, and I can tell you right now any so so mechanic should be able to get this job done in at absolute max 3 hours or less. I dug in my very first time on my 636 and did it in a little over an hour including the time of clearing the tank, air box, valve cover etc. I'm just say that for 280 dollars it would be much more valubale to take the bike to a liscenced shop who is insured in case the mechanic forgets to torque a few bolts correctly and you're out of cylinder head or even worse a complete long block. Now if this gentleman got everything done for 100 bucks then that would be worth it and you would be taking the risk hoping the traveling mechanic took all the neccesary precautions and did everything right the first time. Otherwise if something goes wrong 9 times out of 10 youre going to end up in small claims court trying to get the money to get your bike back on the road, where as a shop has the capital and means to just fix it with no hassle to you.

Just my oppinion, I'm sure many will agree too its nice having the peace of mind that a shop can back their work up and fix any issues after the repair instead of arguing with an individual who has no legal obligation to fix your motorcycle.

HI GUYS MY NAME'S WYMAN!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts