Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ZX10-R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a new 2021 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10-R motorcycle. Sadly just like the older 14 version it uses the OEM electronic steering stabilizer which is pretty good for normal usage but not great for excess usage. I was looking at upgrading it as I do excess speeds of 120mph and want more stiffness for more stability. Will the Öhlins Racing Steering Damper Blackline fit the 2021 Kawasaki ZX10-R and if so then what is the part # that I need to order as multiple length options?
Also are there additional differences between the Ohlins Steering Damper Blackline and the regular Ohlins Steering Damper or is it just one is black and one is silver?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
Welcome!

A couple things as you're new to this. It's a ZX-10R, not a ZX10-R. You got the hyphen in the wrong place. ;) It's been that way since 2004, FYI. :ROFLMAO:

I'm confused as to why you think 120mph is in the "excess usage" range. That's absurd. There is no normal range and excess range for the damper. It works when the front end oscillates and that can happen at 35mph or 200mph. Trying to crank up the damping based on forward speed is the wrong way to approach it.

For reference, on my '16 with the same stock damper, stock suspension, and lightweight wheels I regularly exceed 150mph. In most of those cases, the front wheel will go airborne as I crest a hill between 130-150mph. Never once have I felt that the front end was in need of more damping. So my reference point would indicated that you're being overly sensitive and you might want to start taking more testosterone supplements. ;):ROFLMAO::LOL:

Ohlins sold a race ECU adapter that was part of the race kit. It was a few hundred dollars and would increase the damping rate for race use. That is your only option for upgrading your electronic damper. If you scrap the electronic one, anything is possible. It's just a damper. You can replace it with anything that will bolt up, but it won't tie into the ECU and it will be manual. If you want that Blackline one, just measure the specs and the one you have on the bike and buy the same in the new one. :unsure:

·
Registered
Gen3
51 Posts
What about using a different, slightly higher viscosity oil wt in the steering damper?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
What about using a different, slightly higher viscosity oil wt in the steering damper?
That may be an option, but I would be leery of that. That was done on the older models with manual control. Because this one is an electronically controlled damping valve, the software and algorithms controlling it are based on the fluid it's expecting. And the system works in open-loop so there's no feedback from it. So changing the fluid may provide some higher damping, it may also be too much when the system tries to stiffen it. Also, to swap out the fluid is not something that can be done easily at home. The damper has to be vacuum filled to prevent air.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I currently own a new 2021 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10-R motorcycle. Sadly just like the older 14 version it uses the OEM electronic steering stabilizer which is pretty good for normal usage but not great for excess usage. I was looking at upgrading it as I do excess speeds of 120mph and want more stiffness for more stability. Will the Öhlins Racing Steering Damper Blackline fit the 2021 Kawasaki ZX10-R and if so then what is the part # that I need to order as multiple length options?
Also are there additional differences between the Ohlins Steering Damper Blackline and the regular Ohlins Steering Damper or is it just one is black and one is silver?
Get rid of the stock one and hide it under the airbox (theres enough room there) and buy the gpr or ball it out and buy the ohlins replacement, we had a customer that tried the thicker oil and did 0 to nothing.

·
Registered
2014 ZX10R
84 Posts
Before I shell out $300 for the Ohlins SDU, what does it do that's so great over stock? Seems sketchy having a electronic control that you have no control over when it'll activate?

The Ohlins re-valve of the manual damper is popular. But does the removal of the ESD cause any issues with the ECU?

Also...120 is top of 2nd gear. That's just a warm-up

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
Before I shell out $300 for the Ohlins SDU, what does it do that's so great over stock? Seems sketchy having a electronic control that you have no control over when it'll activate?

The Ohlins re-valve of the manual damper is popular. But does the removal of the ESD cause any issues with the ECU?

Also...120 is top of 2nd gear. That's just a warm-up
The electronic damper is intended to provide a greater range of operation than a manually operated one. In any manual system, it will only work at the setting that it is manually set to. Electronic systems change the setting based on other criteria so it is dynamic. The good riders with a manual damper will adjust it while they ride. It is not set-it-and-forget-it, but that's what most people do with it. If you want to play around with the damper while you ride, then have at it. But the electronic version was designed to do it for you. It changes automatically based on certain conditions - ie. acceleration rate, lean angle, speed, etc. In any good dynamic system, it should operate without the user even knowing it is doing anything. Electronic suspension, electronic throttle with ride-by-wire, power modes, traction control, etc all work the same way.

The Ohlins SDU provides for tighter tolerances and conditions for the damper to operate than the stock one does. The engineers have made that determination though and there isn't anything you can adjust yourself on it. So, the SDU provides for more aggressive and faster adjustment and to higher settings than normal. But that's about it and it's hard to measure. Whether you think that's better than stock is a personal preference.

If the ESD is removed, the electronic valve has to be removed and remain connected. You'll have an ESD warning light and service code if that's unplugged all together. The ECU doesn't care about that. It will just cause an error code.

·
Registered
2021 ZX10-R
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks to those who actually had good information and well f off for the smartasses who think they are god with ego. Anyway, to clarify yes it is ZX-10R, and my typo error, get over it. I mean this is my 3rd zx-10r over 20 years and not to mention multiple motorcycles in between you nitwit. BTW, you sound like some junior high kid na na na na, who probably just goes fast straight, smh. You are correct the 120mph isn't really excessive going straight (boring). For those of us more skilled who have been doing track for many years will know you are not doing 190mph around a tight track corner, so there's that bit. So doing 120mph around a corner in 2nd and 3rd gear tapping high rpms's then slamming throttle exiting your apex while sliding is excess on engine and a steering stabilizer when the front wheel touches back down the track exceeding 120mph and then reaching top of 6th gear. So do you understand the 'excess' statement now? Freaking newbs who have ego crack me up. back to the post, My older 2014 had the same steering damping issue but honestly figured by now that the 2021 would have fixed this steering damping issue, but I was wrong. This is why I asked the group if there is maybe a new fix for this issue which looks like basically the same solutions. BTW, I already talked to Ohlins and ordered me an Ohlins SD 021 Hypersport Steering Damper for my 2021 ZX-10R to address the issue. Personally wish they had the Street Blackline steering damper for the ZX-10R. Peace out to those who helped without being a smartass.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
Well, thanks to those who actually had good information and well f off for the smartasses who think they are god with ego. Anyway, to clarify yes it is ZX-10R, and my typo error, get over it. I mean this is my 3rd zx-10r over 20 years and not to mention multiple motorcycles in between you nitwit. BTW, you sound like some junior high kid na na na na, who probably just goes fast straight, smh. You are correct the 120mph isn't really excessive going straight (boring). For those of us more skilled who have been doing track for many years will know you are not doing 190mph around a tight track corner, so there's that bit. So doing 120mph around a corner in 2nd and 3rd gear tapping high rpms's then slamming throttle exiting your apex while sliding is excess on engine and a steering stabilizer when the front wheel touches back down the track exceeding 120mph and then reaching top of 6th gear. So do you understand the 'excess' statement now? Freaking newbs who have ego crack me up. back to the post, My older 2014 had the same steering damping issue but honestly figured by now that the 2021 would have fixed this steering damping issue, but I was wrong. This is why I asked the group if there is maybe a new fix for this issue which looks like basically the same solutions. BTW, I already talked to Ohlins and ordered me an Ohlins SD 021 Hypersport Steering Damper for my 2021 ZX-10R to address the issue. Personally wish they had the Street Blackline steering damper for the ZX-10R. Peace out to those who helped without being a smartass.
Well, welcome to the Interweb! You sound like a hoot! ;)

I'm not sure what you're talking about with your newb and nitwit comments. Most newbies are the one who don't give enough detail in their original posts and then complain about the answers they receive when we try to make this forum more entertaining along with the technical information. It's not about ego, it's about understanding how to answer your question since you didn't explain the reference. But you know what they say....Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. :ROFLMAO:

I am a bit surprised that you just now joined this forum if you've had ZX-10Rs in the past. If you're so knowledgeable, maybe you can tell us all what we're all doing wrong. :unsure: I'd be more curious to know what issues you're having with the steering damper that is causing you to worry so much about it and what other geometry changes you've made to the bike to correct those prior to worrying about the damper. If the damper was so bad, they might upgrade it from the factory. But apparently the majority of people don't have an issue and the price of the fancier ones in the aftermarket would drive the price of the bike too high.

In my 30+ years of riding and on my 4th ZX-10R, I can assure you that riding in a straight line is only for doing wheelies. It's the turning and wheelying out of the apex of the corner that makes it the most fun. On none of my previous -10Rs with a steering damper have they been an issue other than blowing a seal and leaking the fluid. But I do like the steering looser to make it easier to transition. Stable doesn't mean quick, and too quick can add instability. There's a fine line and lots of things to manage to make it all work right. Until you've reached that plateau, worry more about the other things. Clearly you've already got the front and rear suspension replaced for your riding needs and track times, so maybe the damper is really what's holding you back. IDK. Be sure to let us all know how your Hypersport works out for you!

JenningsGP is a fun track for sure, but the North course and full course at VIR are my favorites.

Tire Wheel Motorcycle helmet Helmet Sports gear
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't worry about the damper on this bike. If you ride well and loose, the bike will keep you and protect you. Trust me.
It IS a chicken or egg issue. Switched from a 05 ZX6R to a Gen4 ZX10R. On my last, and only trackday on the Gen4, I could not use the additional power. The track had a lot of hard acceleration at 30-38° lean, followed by braking under lean. The load transfer was SCARY. Had a ton of movement in the front. I could not get on the brakes while it wasn't settled.

Well, scary for me. My old bike was stable AF. I too thought that my steering damper did not work properly. Then I remembered that my old bike did not have a steering damper. In my case, I think the movement was too slow for the damper to damp. Its job is to slow down fast movements, not stabilize the bike. Maybe the OP's issue is unrelated to the steering damper.

My old bike was stable in the same situation, but also hard to tip in. Or: More trail than my Gen4, and therefore more stable.

Your Tires, preload settings, and suspension dampening settings have a big impact on stability. I would try another set of tires before you invest a lot in a new steering damper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts