Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

An updated 2021 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R and ZX-10RR have been confirmed in vehicle certification data submitted in Australia. The certification documents reveal a new fairing for the Ninjas, plus some engine updates that were likely aimed to meet Euro 5 requirements.

Both models are expected to be part of a larger reveal event Kawasaki has planned for Nov. 23. Kawasaki submitted the data to Australia’s department of Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development in August, with a request for the information be embargoed until Nov. 1. Kawasaki likely hadn’t decided on the Nov. 23 date at the time, resulting in the certification data being released over the weekend.

The certification files include low-resolution images of each bike, and though they’re small, we can still get a good idea of what the 2021 ZX-10R models will look like.

From the photos, it’s clear the literbikes are getting a sharper H2-inspired nose with smaller, headlights (likely LEDs). The turn signals remain integrated into the mirrors. Behind the fairing, we spy a new display, likely a full-color TFT screen.

The side fairings are new, with a single, large opening on either side. From these photos, it appears that both of the colors shown here have a matte finish, with black for the ZX-10R and green for the ZX-10RR. Additional color options may have a glossier paint finish.

The certifications list the same peak horsepower from both models as their respective 2020 versions, but they arrive at their peak at different engine speeds, suggesting some engine updates to meet Euro 5. The 2021 ZX-10R’s 998cc engine is listed at producing 200 hp at 13200 rpm (the 2020 model claimed 200 hp at 13500 rpm) while the 2021 ZX-10RR is listed at 201 hp at 14000 rpm (vs. 13500 rpm for the 2020 model). That suggests some changes to the engine to help it meet Euro 5 requirements.

We checked with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and found VIN information with further evidence of a new 2021 ZX-10R. Unfortunately, it looks like U.S. ZX-10Rs will continue to be down on power to models offered elsewhere, with the NHTSA document listing 186 hp, the same as the 2020 model.

From the photos, we also similar looking forks and calipers to the 2020 models, which would mean a Showa Balance Free Front Fork and Brembo calipers. The frame also looks similar to the 2020 models, but we’ll need a better photo to know for sure.

The listed tare weight (with all fluids but a partially-full fuel tank) for both models is listed at 427.7 pounds, the same as the 2020 model, so we expect the final wet weights to be similar.

As for any other changes, we’ll have to wait for the official announcement later this month. Check with us here on Motorcycle.com for the latest.

Attachments

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
We checked with the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and found VIN information with further evidence of a new 2021 ZX-10R. Unfortunately, it looks like U.S. ZX-10Rs will continue to be down on power to models offered elsewhere, with the NHTSA document listing 186 hp, the same as the 2020 model.
Well, thanks for posting the spy shots! That seems pretty legit! Unfortunately that is. :confused:

I was hoping for a different, sharper design than the current one. Instead, we're getting an H2 front-end stuck on the ZX-10R frame. Lame. Especially if the US versions don't have the increased power claimed. That will require more tuning to unlock it. So far I'm not impressed with the Gen 6. I may have to cancel my order. :cry:

Reactions: XenMoto

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thanks for posting the spy shots! That seems pretty legit! Unfortunately that is. :confused:

I was hoping for a different, sharper design than the current one. Instead, we're getting an H2 front-end stuck on the ZX-10R frame. Lame. Especially if the US versions don't have the increased power claimed. That will require more tuning to unlock it. So far I'm not impressed with the Gen 6. I may have to cancel my order. :cry:
Yeah, Im a bit disappointed also. Talked to my dealer and...might skip this one lol. It looks like the 636 a little bit. One thing tho....it should be an easy swap Gen 4/Gen 5 to Gen 6....
Also parts from previous Gens should go on with no issues in most places.
Great for racing...cheap crash replacement parts.
Dash looks huge.
We need more spects tho.
Maybe there is more to come.... I do not see wings like they promised LOL.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess this older Patent image was legit...

I figured they would shoot for the Kawasaki family face....

and check this.... 2015... this is what they thought the Gen 5 was going to look like...we get something similar....6 years later...

·
Registered
18 zx10r
474 Posts
I love it! Looks great. I better see a couple of these in motoamerica next year.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
912 Posts
I hope they are fake, it’s FUGLY! Whats a shame, I guess I’ll stick to my Gen4....

Though the dealing in San Jose has a 2019 ZX-10R SE version... :unsure:

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those pics r fake.....the exhaust is different on the bikes in the front shot vs rear shot.
The exhaust is not different.
there is a heat shield (black on the outside) and end cap...its separate but welded on. its dark because its next to the black tire and the exhaust is polished and reflecting it.
The pictures are pictures from a document submitted to Australia DOT.

I think they will still release another bike...and all new bike but for WSBK, 500 copies and $40k....

Here is a 2016-2020 OEM exhaust.

Reactions: r1mkal

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
I have a mixed reaction to those pictures, its .. weird. I like that the RR is super green but matte is just ugly meh.

Where are the wings, I want the wings damn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considering I can't even get the present generation here and will be forced to wait for this model to purchase new.

Why

The styling might grow on me but matte finish I cannot just digest, sorry. The pics look too legit to be faked.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think the big dash is a good thing. Latest BMW 1000RR has a big dash and it's very nice. I race with an AIM MXK10 dash and I really don't like that objects on it are small. I just had lasik eye surgery done so I can see super well and it's still hard to see some of the items. So large dash is the right move. The question is, what will it be able to show us besides the usual stuff? I'd really like to see a GPS-based lap timer function and some basic data logger. Battery voltage. And fuel consumed per distance measurement. I know the ECU tracks the fuel usage because AIM MXK10 can report it. Fingers crossed it will be useful and somewhat customizable--especially so with a race kit ecu.

As for the looks, it's hard to like the changes at this point--the current zx6r is sort of along those lines too and I'm still trying to get used to it. Not my favorite but as with all new bikes, initially it's really shocking and maybe a turnoff but with time you start to like it. When I saw the 2017 CBR 1000RR I thought it's super ugly but now I think it's pretty cool. So fingers crossed we'll grow into it :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just puked in my mouth.

I will say this, I said the same thing when I first saw the 20'ZX6-R pics online but after seeing one in person all "done-up" made me change my mind and I wouldn't mind rolling around on one of those if I had the coins to buy one.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
What an ugly pile of shit! Kawasaki manufacture the ugliest bikes out there. Looks like Covid-19 on 2 wheels. Fuck sake! Shitty lines, nothing is flattering, just insanely ugly. Find a ditch. Their first Gen ZX-10r were their best clean, sexy design. John Deer got better looking tractors. Having said that.. I do think that all these pictures are fake because of the lack of wings...

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah...most bikes even Kaws I hated when I 1st saw them...then after seeing in person or some really good angles...I end up loving the look.

Im sure ill like it in the end....but as it stands...this might be the only Gen that I do not buy. My Gen 5 aka the million dollar bike...is perfect for me...i got wings and tft dash lol. At some point ill probably just buy the race fairings and do a gen 5 to gen 6 swap and do the same for street bike at some point....just to look fresh lol.

The updates I read, and assume they may do, just isn't enough. I also feel they will have another update sooner than later after this launch....2 to 3 years after.

I feel this is just a refresh to keep sales going...putting in the bare minimum of the latest stuff... and super cheap/mild design update. It do not cost much for them to design new fairings. The expensive stuff...frame, subframe, gas tank and other stuff is the same.

My buddy called and told me that certain parts are new:
  • New external Oil cooler (the triangle part under coolant radiator)
  • New Crank Shaft
  • New Connecting Rods
  • Air Box
Part number wise....

I think when we see some clear and clean upfront pictures... we will like it a lot....If you like the H2.
This angle look like the side fairings off the head lights might have cut outs for air to flow thru... it looks really wide..and have the honda CBR1k sort of look...

sort of like this.

·
Registered
273 Posts
What an ugly pile of shit! Kawasaki manufacture the ugliest bikes out there.
nah, gen 5 looks fantastic... this H2 abortion front end looks horrible though

i guess its good news for me though... since ill be able to find a good deal on a to upgrade my 16 to a 19/20 when the 2021 drops here... .was gonna buy the 2021 but after seeing this, no way... and also if its true the power hasnt changed, no point in getting it.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
912 Posts
Is it just me, or does it look like a decepticon? You know, the bad transformers....
I always thought the Gen4 was a little radicle and I love it. Then Gen5 watered down the Gen4 front while making the rear actually look like part of the SAME bike. But this? Nah! I hate the looks of the H2 range too, but they have something to help you overlook that, a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts