Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2021 ZX-10RR feedback on changes

9K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  kanwisch 
#1 ·
So from what I have learned in my research the 2021 ZX-10RR has the following changes...

longer swingarm (+8 mm)
stiffer rear spring
less offset in the triple clamps (-2 mm)
softer front springs
different gear ratios for gears 1 through 4
different final drive gearing
oil cooler
slightly different slipper clutch settings
handle bars are 10 mm forward and the footpegs are 5 mm higher
1 mm lower swingarm pivot

I have a friend who is a development rider for Kawasaki and he said the lower swingarm pivot helps mid corner to exit, the change in offset results in less trail which makes the initial turn-in BEFORE the apex easier and the longer wheelbase (a total of 10 mm) combined with the added downforce of the front wing (+17% over 2020 model) contribute to a natural wheelie control.

I know I can change my 2019 ZX-10RR (race bike) to have all the changes listed above (it already has some)....so I wondered if there is anything electronically that makes buying a 2021 bike a step forward that I can't get from my 2019?

I can't seem to find any info about the electronics that is meaningful...as I don't care that is has rider modes, or a TFT screen, etc.

I DO care IF it has electronics that are a step forward from the 2016-2020 bike, which are not bad at all....

I have asked my friend from Kawasaki HQ specifically about the electronics and his response was, "The (kit) ecu is different with some upgrades in the software, it looks like they have opened up some parameters." He could not elaborate on the changes yet as he doesn't have a kit ecu in his hands yet but they are due mid-February.

My 2021 ZX-10RR has arrived so I will pick it up in a couple of days. I plan to do some on-track testing against the 2021 Honda CBR1000RR-R SP and then a back-to-back test against my 2019 ZX-10RR race bike to see if the bike is significantly different.

The cost of the new bike is pretty high at 29K given that I bought a 2017 RR (19K) and 2019 RR (24K).
For me I think the blue-printed motor is worth some extra money given my plans to use this as a race bike but Kawasaki has been pretty tight-lipped about any real updates to the electronics but I guess we will see...

I'll have more info in the next couple of weeks once I ride it on track.

See less See more
#4 ·
So I have ridden the new RR on some well-known curvy roads around SoCal for about 100 miles and what I notice most is the changes in gear box for gears 1 through 4 and too much initial torque delivered to the rear tire when I initially pick up the throttle AFTER the bike is turned and pointed at the point where I begin to exit the corner.

The 2016-2020 bike has throttle cables and always had a very smooth delivery in this phase which was made even better when using the progressive throttle from Graves but this cannot be done on this bike. I am certain this can be tuned out with the race ecu, which I am told by a direct employee of Kawasaki HQ USA should be available in about 2 weeks.

In the meantime moving to a 38 or 39 tooth rear sprocket might soften the blow.

Chassis and suspension changes are less noticeable, although the bike does feel balanced and ready for track use.

More to come!

#6 ·
Fun ride with full Akrapovic Evolution installed to Kawasaki US HQ - fueling is smooth and bike works well without mapping but substantial improvements will be realized once the race ecu has been installed. I did not change stock air filter and left the noise insert that came with the exhaust inserted for the time being....

Bike weight s now 430 lbs from 456 lbs as delivered (both weighed with full tank of gas)

#8 ·
@realpsi the ZX-10RR doesn't have velocity stacks, which is different than the standard ZX-10R so this is expected. The cat has always been in the second half of the exhaust for the 2017, 2019 and now 2021 ZX-10RR (I have all three bikes, sold the 2017) which was smart b/c the stock header is actually quite good. I have heard the aftermarket can't really improve upon it from a performance or weight perspective. I am just a fan of a full Akrapovic and I had two on the shelf ready to go so I installed one last night. Took a little longer due to the oil cooler and this new bodywork is a little more difficult to remove.

#9 ·
That is what Superbike Unlimited said no stacks. Seems strange. I knew the cat had always been in the second half, but a post earlier thought there might be a precat in the section before the old cat location. Do you have any idea why the stacks are missing on the RR?

#10 ·
@realpsi yes I do, they are not really missing per se, they are simply shorter than the ZX-10R stacks....Kawi engineers built the RR as a race homologation bike based on rules set by the FIM. To that end lower stacks actually produce more top end horsepower so that is why. The new fairing design also produces more air box pressure to aide those short stacks. For street folks the ZX-10R is the way to go but for track use the shorter stacks and lighter internals make a measurable difference in top end and side-to-side transitions.

#14 ·
Please ,would you measure the diameter of the Akra and stock primary tubes? The 2 section diameter? and the collector diameter?

If you could do the same on the GSXR as well? If I could have any of the measurements it would be the GSXR.

#18 · (Edited)
@realpsi, that's a LOT of work dude, lol. Pull up a picture of the Akra exhaust from their site and circle the parts you want measured and post that below. I can only measure the outside of the exhausts because I am not going to remove the exhaust to measure the internal
Sorry, I know. Just the od is great. On the gsxr is my preference because that is what i am shopping for. I’ve been running simulations and I am the point where I can duplicate curves with the right inputs. I’m down to Akra and Arrow I believe offer the most for a modified bike.

#16 ·
Can’t wait to see what kind of gains these make when you can start tuning them with the kit ECU, I’m curious what the hp potential is, especially with the lighter internals. I’m also very curious on exactly what the air box changes do, and where they benefit. I saw a pic that the new “snorkel” is significantly shorter than the 16-19, but the air box itself didn’t look all that difference besides new stacks in the RR.

#17 ·
@SeventeenRR the '21 bike is VERY similar to the 2016-2020 bike so I would not be surprised if the airbox was the same. The tank looks to be exactly the same and last night I found out the wiring harness is different but the ecu and data cable appear to be the same as well. The software might be different, have not been able to confirm that yet....

My 2019 RR put 204 to the wheel on Graves' dyno. I expect 3-4 more peak hp and a more mid-range. Dyno won't show acceleration but that should be improved and the lower gears feel different for sure but the stock bike is obviously limited in the upper range.

#19 ·
Well I have both the ZX-10RR and the GSX-R1000R. I actually race the Gixxer in MotoAmerica Stock 1000 at select rounds. The Suzuki is a very good bike so you can't go wrong with either one. I will take those two measurements for you soon. With the Kawasaki you can get away with a slip-on and mid pipe because the header is VERY good but the Suziki's exhaust sucks so you pitch that ENTIRE thing in the trash lol....

#20 ·
Akra header gen 4 and 5 - header outlet is 2x OD 45mm. Primary runners same as stock.

Arrow competition gen4 and gen5 - header outlet is 2x OD 47mm. Primary runners same as stock.

Both systems run long secondary runners. Both systems join cylinders in opposite firing order 4-1 2-3.

dont ask me how I know :D :D I am building one myself

gen6 should be the same as far as I can see

#21 · (Edited)
What is the primary size? I don't want to take from this thread so an explanation. The 75mm posted from a Gen6 made me start running more simulations on exhaust primary and collector sizes. What I found is the primary size a little larger than 41mm and the collector size larger add a little horsepower. I suppose the balance connections might allow the primaries to perform as larger pipes. So I started looking, 60 and 65mm silencers make more power as well. I think the 75mm is planned and actually done to add power.

#24 ·
The post I made earlier is slightly incorrect. Turns out the ECU p/n: 21175-1723 AND wiring harness p/n: 26031-3773 are BOTH new, before I had stated that JUST the wiring harness was new. The data connection tool p/n: 57001-0011 appears to be the same as the one used for 2016-2020 bikes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.