Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been a kawi guy for just about all my riding life and it’s time for a new bike. I’m torn between the 2021 10r and the 2021 V2.

anyone have or ridden the V2 long enough to have feedback?

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,086 Posts
It’s not a V4! That’s all the feedback I have. 🤣

But seriously, the v2 is very nice looking, never ridden one, though sorry!

·
Registered
18 zx10r
671 Posts
Looks cool. My advice is get whatever you want. My personal preference is "boring " and dependable but a high maintenance supermodel can be attractive, right?

·
Registered
ZX10RR
395 Posts
Get ready for a wold of pain and expenses.

I had an 899 for 4 years that I bought brand new.

Constant oil leaks and problems.

Lost the bike in an accident and with the money I purchased a zx10.

Best thing I've ever done in my life and best bike I've ever owned.
This for sure. If you dont ride often and can afford the maintenance go for with the v4 no problem, else go with a 10r.

·
Registered
10 Posts
More different to ride and own than you might imagine. The engine characteristics for a start, when I got my first Ducati, a 749s, coming from a background of Fireblades and R1's it took me a while to dial into the V twin, but that sound is awesome!. Was unsure at first but grew to love it over time. Have since had an 1198, multistrada and now back on a ZX10r. Ducati's have that look back over your shoulder as you walk away appeal, they are very high maintenance and significantly more expensive to service. My 18k service on the multi was going to be £1,200 (about $1,500), and it was cheaper to change bikes. I think the ZX10r works better more of the time, is cheaper to run, bi know its going to start every time.

Nice dilemma you have though :)

·
Registered
2016 ZX10R KRT
73 Posts
I have owned 4 Ducati's since 2013: Monster 799, 899 Panigale, Monster 1200r and 1299 Panigale.
To each their own, but my opinions:
1. There is significant engine vibration on the Panigales and the Monster and I would not classify the gear boxes and shifting characteristics as smooth, but "notchy" to put it politely. All 4 bikes had issues with finding nuetral and hitting false neutral. You have to "decisively" hit each gear - especially with the quickshifter.
2. The Monster 1200r and 899 Panigale had mysterious cold starting issues. The Monster would cut out downshifting to first until it was warm and we could never figure it out. Read the forums and you will find that it is a common problem.
3. Even with the new exhaust design on the Panigale, your ass will be very, very warm if you intend to spend more than 30 minutes in the saddle - particularly if you ride on the street in traffic. Based on my friend's input on his 2019 V4, it still seems to be the case.
4. I do all of my own work and Ducati has to use the cheapest, softest oem hardware that I have ever experienced. I could not use my Snap On hex wrenches because the bolts are so soft its maddening. And I'm anal about following service manual torque specs.
5. They are not very convenient to work on. Anyone who has simply taken the tank off and on of a Monster 1200r will probably tell you that they discovered that they have turrets syndrome.
6. $1800 for the required valve adjustment at 18,000 miles.

Besides adding that they are over-priced for the oem options compared to equally spec's competition, they are great bikes. Red is also pretty. I'm sure that someone will roast me, but these are my won opinions from personal experience.

I would absolutely pull the trigger on the ZX10r.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2014 1199S, it was unrideable here in Phoenix for most of the year due to the heat, it was a nut roasting son-of-B. But, I replaced the exhaust with a Van Demon undertail and flashed it with a tuneboy setup. Still need to get a final dyno tune. It’s definitely a great bike to ride now. Completely a different feel compared to my ‘05 ZX. It doesn’t “feel” as fast. I won’t know exactly how the power compares until I get it dyno’d. The suspension is amazing!! I’m not sure if the V2/959/899 had the same heat issues as the 1199/1299? I would assume they do if they are running the underbelly exhaust with the toilet seat pipe.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
As someone who has actually ridden it, I think it's the best most balanced street/track bike that Ducati has ever made. The 848 is garbage, the 899 is rubbish, the 1199 is a mess and top end heavy, the 1299 off balance (track and torque), the V4's are much better but also, more track oriented.

The V2/959, is more solid all arounder, on track, good handling, smooth power delivery. No it doesn't "compare" exactly with other bikes, but for what it is, I find it to be a very good bike. Comfortable on the street, usable street power.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That's a nice decision to have to make! If I was in your shoes I'd consider the kind of riding I was doing. If I needed the bike to actually get around reliably, then the ZX-10R would be what I'd get. If I was only using it for weekend rides on highways and twisties, then it'd be Bologna's finest.

This test of used break in oil from various manufacturers should give you some pause about Ducatis...manufacturer oil test (engine quality)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I posted my noob comparison between my Gen1 and 1198S a couple weeks ago. The 1198S is like some women I've known. It is beautiful to look at and feel and to lay next to. But, man oh man, climb on top of that bitch and she feels like she's gonna rip your balls off and throw them to the side of the road. The 1198S feels and sounds like raw machinery. It's not like my Gen1 in any way at all. It's half naked with it's lady parts all showing. And she gets so damn hot. The Gen1 is all concealed in its pretty plastic. It's smooth and sounds all purdy and starts with the touch of a button! It's much easier to live with. In comparison, the 1198S requires all that touching and button pushing and sweet talking and thinking positive just to get it to start. And you're still not certain it will start. But once it does, oh the sound! I thought I'd sell the Gen1 but I don't think I will now. The 1198S really isn't rideable in the heat of summer. It's nice to be able to choose between them. I think if you always wanted a Duc, which I did, you have to get it just to satisfy that Italian itch. I replaced the cam belts last week and a new shock spring. Not that big of a deal. The vertical cylinder should be a piece of cake when valve adjustment time comes. The horizontal, not so simple. But neither is the Gen1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts