Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, long story short. Im in the middle of the first valve clearance inspection, quickly realized that Gen5 manual is NOT accurate for the 2019 with finger followers.
I found the correct spec (AFTER I already ordered a TON of shims), turns out only like 4 are out. No biggie.
Got everything put back together and have a lot of valvetrain noise now. Verified that the timing marks are all aligned (1 / crankcase union, intake and exhaust aligned to timing cover / valve cover deck). Double checked the clearances, all within spec (Intake Intake: 0.12-0.16mm , Exhaust: 0.14-0.18mm).
Only thing I can note at this time is the CCT gasket was not replaced during the repair (its ordered). Its a very small leak, and I doubt its the cause, but feel it should be noted.

Bike has 15.8k miles.
Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
16k miles, is it the OEM CCT? You might look at replacing the spring in it.

I had my gen 5 refreshed and the builder put the shims on the right side of the spec. I feel like maybe it was a little louder/sounded different from before (they were on the big end of the spec) but I haven’t felt anything super weird and haven’t noticed much besides it sounding a little different.

unless I can find some conflicting info I guess the kawi’s have always had generally noisy valve trains.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
16k miles, is it the OEM CCT? You might look at replacing the spring in it.

I had my gen 5 refreshed and the builder put the shims on the right side of the spec. I feel like maybe it was a little louder/sounded different from before (they were on the big end of the spec) but I haven’t felt anything super weird and haven’t noticed much besides it sounding a little different.

unless I can find some conflicting info I guess the kawi’s have always had generally noisy valve trains.
I did reach out to Kawasaki and got basically told to pound sand, buy our service manuals. That lead to a nice argument because there wasnt a manual listed. After some time they found the manual for the ZX1002E (If anyone's interested, its under 2021-2022 Models).
Ill update after I get the book and make sure the specs are actually accurate.

·
Registered
205 Posts
This type of valve system makes noise. There's nowhere in the manual tat says it should be quiet. Open up the hood on a Toyota car and you'll hear the same noise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 2018 ZX-10R with 3K miles on it is also noisy and it worried me. I showed it to a mechanic and he said it is normal. My bike runs hot in the city but on the highway, It is normal in hot weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts