Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

I recently upgraded my 2011 ZX10R to a 2019 SE. The bike is awesome with the electronic suspension. However, the stock setup caused a lot of head shake on full gas over uneven roads. I managed to tame it down by installing 6mm shim to the rear shock And lowering the front end by 5mm. Huge difference!
I've been searching everywhere for the service/workshop manual for this bike but nothing came up. I wonder why the SE was only sold in the states in 2018, the rest of the world its still available new.

There are a few things i need to verify.

1. What fork oil is used on this bike, is it the same SS-47 as the rest of the gen5 bikes? If so, what is the equivalent oil in Maxima's range? (I bought the bike used with 11000 kms on the clock)

2. The CCT on the bike looks different from the previous years, any idea on how to adjust them?

3. Anyone here has the same bike to compare some notes?

This forum has always been my go-to-guide on anything related to ZX10's, you guys are great.. hope someone can help me out.
Thanks

Shahril

Malaysia

82D030B3-75B4-43F3-B779-5F60B4B17112.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD41..
I've gone through this chart a few times, but I still dont know what the manual specifies for this model. The selection of fork oils are limited here where i live.. only Motul and Maxima are available but i prefer Maxima As there are a lot of fake Motul oils in the market here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For Fork oil I use Honda SS47. For some reason it seems easier for me to find and it is also less expensive for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fork oil, like engine oil is variable. A heavier oil gives more stiffness and vice-versa. I personally use 10w fork oil which works just fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Done the fork oil change.. used maxima 10wt. The old oil looked tired after 11k kms. I followed the 16 ZX10 manual which states 160mm oil height. Might need to add some more oil after a few hundred kms... the forks are currently too plush and bottom out on emergency braking.
I've also fixed the headshake issue on hard acceleration by adding 6mm shim on the rear and dropping the fronts by 5mm. It seems to have cured the issue 😊 20200522_030013.jpg 20200522_025927.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the rear i added 6mm on top of the stock spacer (i didn't bother to measure the stock piece)

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
785 Posts
Damn you lifted the fuck out of the ass and lowered the front, that fixed the head shakes? I would think that would make it worse not better. It would reduce the rake a bit and in doing so also the trail. Since the trail is a large part of what helps the front wheel self straighten I am confused as to why doing that would reduce head shakes. What do you weigh and did you bother trying to adjust the tens setting on the rear shock first. If your heavy and the bike sits more towards it's ass, maybe that is why lifting the rear and dropping the front helped but you could always use a spanner wrench and you know, tighten the spring on the rear shock to help keep pressure on the front. I'm 210 lbs without my gear and my bike never gets head shakes. Maybe a tiny jiggle here and there but it always manages to sort itself out just as quick as it happens. I have a 2018 and yeah that is the only year the SE was sold over on this side of the pond. I like it cause it makes my bike fairly rare over here. As for the cam chain tensioner. I haven't bothered to look for where mine is but assumed it is in the same location as all other gen 5s. Just fyi. If you decide to flash the bike, the SE has the same ecu as the RR not the normal R version. Same with wheels and break parts. Only difference with ours and the RR is the larger head for even larger cams than we can run and a slightly lower final gear ratio to assist in acceleration on the track. I went up 2 in the rear so the second part has been negated. 300 worth of machine work and the first part would also be negated and mute. Anyhow. Enjoy your bike. I prefer motul fluids for my bike but not so much on the counterfeit oil here

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strage as it seems, the lifted ass and dropped nose cured it. I was flying back from sydney the other day and spent a few hours reading Tony Foale's motorcycle handling and chassis design book. The part that triggered me is the explanation on how excessive trail can exaggerate headshake when the front tire is unloaded. So i figured the easiest way to reduce the ground trail was to lower the fronts. With 12mm from the triples to the top of the outer fork tubes, I measured the wheel fender clearence from the bodywork in the wheel well to be sufficient at bottom out.
I'm around 210lbs with gear. I've set sag at 30mm front and 25mm rear. I prefer the Road setting on the suspension for the crappy roads here.

I did not measure the trail i ended up with but i had the damn throttle pinned all the way from 2nd to 6th up to max revs. and problem solved. Btw i had TC set to 2.

I'm planning to get the woolich kit next month and experiment with -1 up front and an extra link on the chain to see how she does with a longer wheelbase. I might need it after flashing all the restrictions out of the ecu
Btw.. thanks for sharing. 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you adjust your electronic suspension manually?
Yes.. the electronic damping can be adjusted in the manual mode. Which is referenced to the race mode for adjustments. Front and rear compression and rebound settings can be individually manipulated from a range of 1-15.
Other manual adjustments would be the preload adjuster

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's quite amazing the moment the chassis is sorted and it doesn't scare the shit out of you on full gas, you yearn for more power 😅

1 - 16 of 16 Posts