Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Looking to buy a 2017 zx10r in a couple weeks. Local dealer has a white abs model for 12.5k out the door and a krt non abs for 11.5k out the door. I don’t plan on tracking the bike just street riding only. Is the abs worth the extra money over the non abs? Anyone have any complaints with the abs on the streets?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say ABS in case it's needed one day. Especially since you'll be on street only. I have the white 17 w/ and. Hadn't had to use it yet but on my old 300 I had it saved me when I was new to riding and had to use those brakes hard and quick. Others prob have more info and the vs's of each.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's a no brainer. For street use get the ABS. Someday a car will cut you off and instead of instinctively locking up the brakes and dumping your bike, the ABS will kick in and potentially save you from a collision. Ditto for cold tires or wet weather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking about selling my 2017 ZX10RR with about 2,400 miles on it. I'm looking at another bike. Not sure if I have room for both.

I've modded it with:
Akropovic slip on exhaust
Guhl ECU Flash
PCV tuned by Livingood motorsports
Sprint Race filter
Tencasi shorty levers
Hotbodies Black windshield
DMP fender eliminator kit
Led lighting multi color
Pit bull spools in green

It makes 199whp 86 trq and is a beast on 89 oct

Attachments

·
The Pace
6,934 Posts
No abs if you have super riding experience. You don't have experience judging by your question and supporting riding evidence, perhaps abs. idk. 600 might be best option.

Here's the point: noobs can't turn the bike; the bike reads the rider and simply wants him off; bike doesn't trust the rider.

Code's Twist Wrist II helps on this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve been riding for 10+ years on 600’s and 1000’s. This would just be the first bike with abs. I Didn’t know if the price difference was worth it that’s all.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Side note: 16K is a little steep for an RR. There's not 1 but 2 for sale in my area selling for 14 or less with the same mods and nearly the same miles. If the OP offered ya $13500 I would work something out.

In terms of ABS/noABS... If you've been riding for 10+ years then maybe you'll use it, maybe you wont. ABS is only going to assist in emergency braking situations to prevent you from getting bucked off or lowsiding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just picked up my first bike with ABS and am pretty glad I did. I had it kick in once when I pinned it on a straight away and then got cut off. I probably could have gotten away without it but at that moment it was nice being able to just slam the brakes and stop on a dime without worrying about going too hard on them

PS does anyone know if ABS prevents you from doing an endo when you slam the front brake, or does it just keep it from sliding out?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just picked up my first bike with ABS and am pretty glad I did. I had it kick in once when I pinned it on a straight away and then got cut off. I probably could have gotten away without it but at that moment it was nice being able to just slam the brakes and stop on a dime without worrying about going too hard on them

PS does anyone know if ABS prevents you from doing an endo when you slam the front brake, or does it just keep it from sliding out?
You can endo with ABS, just not a long controlled endo as the brakes will try to level it out. I've flipped over the bars on my old '13 with ABS in a race, so it's possible to lift pretty high.

ABS is great at helping in a panic or in mixed traction (wet, sand, gravel) but it's no miracle worker - there's only so much it can do to prevent a slide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts