Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

2017 zx10r abs krt wheelie

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SkyDork 
#1 ·
I can’t get this bike (2017 zx10)to wheelie more then a foot even with the traction control off. My 2006 zx10 will pop right up no problem. Someone have any suggestions. It’s really bothering me

#3 ·
Howdy. Well, a little more insight into your dilemma would help. ABS is irreverent to this discussion. But we still need some more info....

What is your gearing? What gear are you using to loft it? Clutching it or power wheelie? What RPM are you using? What technique are you using? How are you turning off the KTRC and verifying that it's off? What other mods are done to the bike?

I can power wheelie my KRT in 2nd gear all day long. It's simple and easy to do if you know what you're doing. :wink:

#4 ·
I have stock gearing on it...two brother s1r slip on. K and N high flow filter and the air intake block off plates. Was putting a power commander 5 in but it ended up being incompatible so dynojet is currently working on the fix for it and should have it back to me soon. I am trying to clutch up wheelie. On the 2006 I can dump the clutch at 5k rpms and it will stand up no problem. The 2017 I’m revving it up into 9-10k and popping clutch and getting about a foot off the ground. I know there is all these settings on this bike that prevent wheelies so I’m trying to see what I can do here. To make sure it wasn’t just me I had three of my friends all try to wheelie the bike and no one could get it up past about a foot. So I know something isn’t right.

#5 ·
Throw that a** back ;) & give those bars a nice tug and you'll get that dog up. These things are much heavier than your 06... 10K is a good RPM but it ain't as easy as just twisting the wrist, sometimes you just gotta give her a little ooomph.

If you don't wanna throw your back out I personally found it much easier to easy wheelie with -1Frt. Night and day difference. Maybe you need +2Rr if you wanna wheelie all the time. It's also gonna be a hell of a lot easier replacing the rear sprocket over the front. You might even be able to get away with the stock chain on a +2Rr.

#6 ·
7k on the tach is the sweet spot for the power curve for lofting it. If the KTRC is truly turned off on the bike, a rapid throttle close/open will stand it up in the first 2 gears at 7k.

If you're only able to clutch it up a foot, then you're not high enough into the power band, your clutch is slipping, or you haven't actually turned off the TC. Weighing down the rear more with the ass movement makes it easier, but not needed. Just give it more gas!

Gearing is another way to go if you wanna showboat.

#7 · (Edited)
If it's just not happening in your current state: try loading the front end a little pre-wheelie. Go-go-go then off-throttle to load the front end, then blip and tug and use the suspension to boost you up.

Although: when I was first practicing on this bike I was ringing that fricking throttle and only got about 1' oh air before I realized the TC needs to be 100% off every time you go out. Even TC-1 will stop you instantly on a flat surface from getting her up. So yeah like SkyDork said make sure that crap is ALL the way off.

#8 ·
My gen5 has no problem riding on the back tire but I do have -1, +2 and a flashed ECU. However, even before those mods I could power wheelie and clutch up. The throttle by wire does have a small moment of hesitation which may be part of the problem. Take out any throttle slop you may have and see if that helps. I don't think a gearing change is necessary but certainly helps. Sounds like you just need to give her more throttle as is always the case of "I can't get it up".

Be careful and another tip that helps is put left foot on passenger peg and try a stand up. Helps with moving weight towards rear and easier to hold balance point I feel. It's actually easier then sitting down but keep your rear brake covered always!!!

Just in case, bike has to be running and stopped to turn TC off. You may already know this.. 1st and 2nd gear will power wheelie all day!

#9 ·
Yea thanks everyone....this bike seems like I have to be way higher up in my rpms then the ‘06 zx10. I was just power wheeling gears 1-3 all the way to work this morning. I think I might just need to get on the throttle harder. But appreciate everyone ?

#10 ·
Somethings gotta be wrong with my 2nd Gen then if ya can do power wheelies in 1-3. I'm lucky to get a 2nd gear power wheelie if my timing is just right.

Not trying to derail your thread. But you must have -1, +2 gearing on that 2nd gen?

#11 ·
If you flash the bike and decat it you'll gain gobs of more power down low and will likely make it a lot easier
I had a gen 1 prior with exhaust + power commander and it had way more power than my stock gen 5 did down low. Haven't gotten the chance to really play around in the high revs since I was still breaking it in, but I'm sure around 7k rpm it would power wheelie np. Once I flashed it it felt like a completely different animal.. still breaking in but I can tell there's much much more power at lower RPMs now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.