Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have an intermittent issue where occasionally when shifting from 5th to 6th during hard acceleration the gear immediately drops back to fifth.
I spoke to a kawasaki tech guy who says he hasn't heard of this issue on a gen 5 before.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I have had a few random issues with my gen 5s. Actually had a full on false neutral/miss shift under wot between first and second. The thing reved to the sky, was pretty concerned about it but it only did that once. Have had it not want to shift up as rapidly as I have wanted when I get to speed and then decide to finish going up through the gears and a couple times it has shifted and popped back down a gear immediately. But I think that may have been under far less throttle than usual. Just make sure you take it in and get it documented with the stealership so if it ends up actually being a problem you can get it covered under warranty.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
That can happen to any bike, not just Kawi. The transmissions are really pretty good these days and it isn't very common. That's not something that is prone to a ZX-10. The advent of the integrated quick shifter and misinformation about it can cause some transmission issues if not used right. Rider technique is another thing.

With 6th gear not fully engaging, are you using the quick shifter? Or manually? How quickly and firmly are you putting it into gear? Typically these are caused by a warn out shift fork in the tranny or a rider who just kind of pokes at the pedal. The gears don't fully seat and the tension and pressure under load will kick them apart. Even with the quick shifter, it needs to be a fast, deliberate shift.

On a '17 model you're likely out of warranty unless you got the extended one. Try changing your technique a bit and monitor it. If it happens more than just intermittently, it's time to pull the cassette transmission and look at the pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That can happen to any bike, not just Kawi. The transmissions are really pretty good these days and it isn't very common. That's not something that is prone to a ZX-10. The advent of the integrated quick shifter and misinformation about it can cause some transmission issues if not used right. Rider technique is another thing.

With 6th gear not fully engaging, are you using the quick shifter? Or manually? How quickly and firmly are you putting it into gear? Typically these are caused by a warn out shift fork in the tranny or a rider who just kind of pokes at the pedal. The gears don't fully seat and the tension and pressure under load will kick them apart. Even with the quick shifter, it needs to be a fast, deliberate shift.

On a '17 model you're likely out of warranty unless you got the extended one. Try changing your technique a bit and monitor it. If it happens more than just intermittently, it's time to pull the cassette transmission and look at the pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your input , yes I am using the quick shift to change up 'and also down' after having the woolwich ECU flash.
I did initially think the cause was perhaps down to my shift technique and consciously made an effort to perform smooth positive changes and admit the issue although less frequent does still occur.
Unfortunately as you say the warranty has expired.
As this appears to be an unusual problem I think I should get the Casset pulled & inspected for piece of mind before taking it back on track..
Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you got the Race tools package with your Woolich Racing Software you can adjust the shift times in ms and the force needed to change the gears.
I don't have Race Tools but I enabled my downshift autoblipper and had a play with those settings. The difference was huge. If I set it on 1 as the softest touch it would not even change down a gear or you would press once and it would go off twice! I put mine on 3 and it's spot on how I like it, if anything I could maybe go to 4.

But it sounds like a similar thing to yours, quickshifter related. So if you have Woolich Race Tools I would set it a bit harder/higher number for a more solid change.

If you haven't already adjust the gear shift pedal so it is positioned perfect for your foot.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If it throws out a gear then it wasn't fully engaged, so is this something new? Has it always done this or have you just discovered this? Is it happening at a consistent RPM? there are some valid points above but a little more info and we can stop shooting in the dark. Example It can even be the oil, if this has started since an oil change, you may have used a lower grade semi synthetic, and that also causes shift issues, more info!!!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
i know with one map from map share i had issues with my quickshifter, try a different map and see if it changes

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve had my 17RR do this once or twice, imo it was me not shifting up hard enough. If you’re having it happen more frequently or are sure you’re shifting firmly it certainly doesn’t hurt to check though, it’s not like they’re hard to look at on the cassette style bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your input , yes I am using the quick shift to change up 'and also down' after having the woolwich ECU flash.
I did initially think the cause was perhaps down to my shift technique and consciously made an effort to perform smooth positive changes and admit the issue although less frequent does still occur.
Unfortunately as you say the warranty has expired.
As this appears to be an unusual problem I think I should get the Casset pulled & inspected for piece of mind before taking it back on track..
Thanks again.
🤨👆🏽the package made you be able to shift down?I’m just curious

1 - 12 of 12 Posts