Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the zx10r forum family. Have had a few Kawasaki bikes, just got a Gen 5 10r. It has KQS (Kawasaki quick shifter) stock. I didn't realize until after a short ride today that my KQS was OFF, meanwhile I have gone 85 miles so far with it OFF and have been up shifting without the clutch. It is now ON and haven't tested out the difference but have I "hurt" or [email protected]$>% anything up by up shifting without the clutch and with KQS OFF. If I remember correctly I was able to up shift without the clutch on my 07 zx10r within a certain rpm range. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Are you blipping the throttle when you upshift? If so, you're not hurting it any more than doing that on any other bike. The quick shifter allows you to stay on the throttle when up shifting by cutting ignition for a fraction of a second.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm letting off the throttle when I up shift, I guess that's the reason why it shifts smoothly even with the KQS off. So now with it ON, I can shift without blipping? and because it's like second nature to blip the throttle when upshifting, if I do happen to still blip there shouldn't be any problems? Thanks for the input!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
So, here's the problem with quickshifters and people who don't know how they work. Here's the info....

If the quickshifter is OFF and you don't blip the throttle when making the shift, you'll fuck up the transmission.

If the quickshifter is ON and you do blip the throttle when making the shift, you'll fuck up the transmission.

The quickshifter kills the ignition momentarily to unload the transmission and allow the shift to happen while accelerating. The key here is that you must be accelerating. Not steady throttle, not decelerating, not blipping the throttle. Open the throttle, press the shift pedal - done.

In stock form, the bike does not handle downshifting. So unless the bike is flashed with the auto-blip feature enabled, use the quickshifter only when upshifting and only when accelerating. You'll fuck it up pretty quickly otherwise. Which, incidentally is why they call it a quickshifter. :hello:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can not seem to get my kqs to work. I took it to the drag stripe last night and tried to shift without pulling the lever and it would not shift up. my kqs is on. any ideas

·
Registered
7 Posts
nope I figured it out. I'm just a horrible drag racer lol. I guess I was letting off the gas when trying to shift. I just went out and quick shifted while the throttle was open and it worked like a charm. It's really sweet I wish I would of figured it out on the drag strip. Lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
So here is another question, I have the brocks flash with the autoblip downshifts. Is this hard on the transmission? I know I'm doing everything as I should with the clutch less downshifts and the autoblip is working correctly, but I feel like I can do it a little more smoothly with blipping the throttle myself and using the clutch. It's a super nice feature to have when coming into turns hard though. I just don't want to prematurely wear anything during everyday riding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Right, so by having the quick shifter on and blipping the throttle or "accelerating" will fuck the quick shifter.... really because I thought the whole point of using the QS was when you were on hard throttle.... or 'blipping", which is the same thing....

So, here's the problem with quickshifters and people who don't know how they work. Here's the info....

If the quickshifter is OFF and you don't blip the throttle when making the shift, you'll fuck up the transmission.

If the quickshifter is ON and you do blip the throttle when making the shift, you'll fuck up the transmission.

The quickshifter kills the ignition momentarily to unload the transmission and allow the shift to happen while accelerating. The key here is that you must be accelerating. Not steady throttle, not decelerating, not blipping the throttle. Open the throttle, press the shift pedal - done.

In stock form, the bike does not handle downshifting. So unless the bike is flashed with the auto-blip feature enabled, use the quickshifter only when upshifting and only when accelerating. You'll fuck it up pretty quickly otherwise. Which, incidentally is why they call it a quickshifter. :hello:

·
Registered
374 Posts
What is Kawasaki recommending on 1st to 2nd gear shifts in relation to the gen 5 quick shifter?

I personally stay away from this on my gen 4 and pull the clutch lever, using only 2nd to 6th gear during WOT.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Right, so by having the quick shifter on and blipping the throttle or "accelerating" will fuck the quick shifter.... really because I thought the whole point of using the QS was when you were on hard throttle.... or 'blipping", which is the same thing....
Blipping the throttle - meaning quickly closing it and then opening it again- is what you do when you don't have a quickshifter. If you're using the quickshifter, blipping the throttle during the shift is pointless and can screw up the timing of the shift.

Use the clutch normally and blip the throttle to change gears.

-OR-

Stay away from the clutch lever, hold the throttle open, and use the quickshifter function to change gears.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
What is Kawasaki recommending on 1st to 2nd gear shifts in relation to the gen 5 quick shifter?

I personally stay away from this on my gen 4 and pull the clutch lever, using only 2nd to 6th gear during WOT.
I don't think Kawasaki recommends anything, to be quite frank. But I'm right there with you! I don't care if they say it's OK to do it or not, I would NEVER use the quickshifter to change gears from 1st->2nd. Once you get into 2nd gear, it's game on. Before that though :headshake:

Keep doing what you're doing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think Kawasaki recommends anything, to be quite frank. But I'm right there with you! I don't care if they say it's OK to do it or not, I would NEVER use the quickshifter to change gears from 1st->2nd. Once you get into 2nd gear, it's game on. Before that though :headshake:

Keep doing what you're doing.
Could you elaborate please for those of us that don't have a clue, like me. Why not 1-2 shift? Dangerous for me or for the transmission?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Could you elaborate please for those of us that don't have a clue, like me. Why not 1-2 shift? Dangerous for me or for the transmission?

First to second gear goes through neutral. It's the longest throw. I've rebuilt enough transmissions in my time to realize that I wouldn't trust a quick shifter to not fuck up a shift drum or bend a shift fork going between those gears. I use the quick shifter from second gear onwards, but not before hitting 2nd.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Makes sense, the first shift I tried was a 1-2 and it didn't go so well. Granted I was lazy with the shift effort but yeah it hit neutral the engine hit the limiter. Thought maybe it was only my fuck up but now that I know I think I'll clutch
1-2. Thanks Dork!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts