Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently leaning forward on switching to the new 2016 zx10r from a 2015 R1. The reason being is that the throttle on the R1s are very abrupt especially initial opening on a turn. I rode my friends 2011 ZX10R and his is very smooth compared to mines. Both bikes are tuned. I can quickly/ abruptly open the throttle on his bike during corner entry and it would be forgiving not compared to my R1 that you have to really feather it in. I am trying to get feedback on the new bike like recalls and problems like what we have on the transmission. Twitchy throttle? And does the race ecu retain the factory lights or just straight no lights track ecu? Can local tuners experiment on it safely(like its not too complicated). How are the front and rear suspension? I am using the bike on street and track. thanks for your feedbacks.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,978 Posts
The gen 4 is not ride by wire like the gen 5 is. The gen 5 throttle is supposedly pretty snappy on throttle opening due to the odd throttle fuel cut and the ride by wire opening the ETVs. It can be tuned out with a reflash and changing the engine braking setting to help it.

The race harness is hard to tune, expensive, and eliminates the lights and side stand wiring. It's for a dedicated track bike only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the quick response. So should just retain my rapid bike from my r1 and but the harness and flash my ecu for the restriction removal.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Brocks performance just completely went through a 2015 r1 built a tune and flash for it that really opens the bike up and removes the throttle twitchyness. Or as much as is possible on a RbW throttle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The gen 4 is not ride by wire like the gen 5 is. The gen 5 throttle is supposedly pretty snappy on throttle opening due to the odd throttle fuel cut and the ride by wire opening the ETVs. It can be tuned out with a reflash and changing the engine braking setting to help it.

The race harness is hard to tune, expensive, and eliminates the lights and side stand wiring. It's for a dedicated track bike only.
Setting the EBC to (L) Light makes a world of difference, throttle pick up on my '16 is silky smooth on this setting.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I switched from a 2015 R1 to a 2016 zx10r. PM me if you want to discuss it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am currently leaning forward on switching to the new 2016 zx10r from a 2015 R1. The reason being is that the throttle on the R1s are very abrupt especially initial opening on a turn. I rode my friends 2011 ZX10R and his is very smooth compared to mines. Both bikes are tuned. I can quickly/ abruptly open the throttle on his bike during corner entry and it would be forgiving not compared to my R1 that you have to really feather it in. I am trying to get feedback on the new bike like recalls and problems like what we have on the transmission. Twitchy throttle? And does the race ecu retain the factory lights or just straight no lights track ecu? Can local tuners experiment on it safely(like its not too complicated). How are the front and rear suspension? I am using the bike on street and track. thanks for your feedbacks.
Just picked a '16 up a few weeks ago, I did a write up on initial impressions on one of the threads on here.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Here was my initial write up:

Ok , here's my thoughts after the ride home with a few miles of highway and maybe 40 miles of back road. I had the dealer set power mode to Full (F) , TC to minimum intervention (1), Engine braking control EBC to Low (L) and Quickshift (QS) enabled before I rode off the lot.

First off engine power, this thing is absolutely gutted below 5000 RPM, it wouldn't pull the head off of a flat beer. I think my ZX-6R could even pull on it down low. Around 6500 it starts to wake up and beyond that it starts to really pull hard. Obviously I'm breaking it in but midrange feels superior to my '11 ZX-10r and it feels like the power above 9000 is going to be awesome. In a nutshell, it's a screamer. No problem, a pipe and a flash tune should fix the bottom end and yield even more midrange.

Gearbox is butter smooth, typical Kawasaki.

First gear is stratospheric tall or at least the lack of bottom end torque makes it feel that way. One tooth off the front should fix that nicely. Gears are spaced closely 2-6.

Quick shift cuts power too aggressively under wide open throttle. Under cruising it worked fine but nailing it and toeing the shift lever put my jewels into the back of the fuel tank....ouch! It almost feels like the clutch is slipping when you use the QS under WOT conditions, it's not but it feels that way.

Clutch feel is light and positive, again typical Kawasaki fare.

I was concerned about the ergonomics on this machine after hearing 6 foot testers with the magazines saying the cockpit was cramped, pegs too high and their knees and lower back hurt. I'm 6'3" and have a 36" inseam and felt totally comfortable as soon as I left the parking lot. After almost 50 miles of back roads I felt completely at home on this bike, love the new higher position.

Suspension is plush but controlled, I didn't really notice it on the bumpier road sections and that's usually a good sign.

The Brembo M50 Monobloc brakes felt wooden the first time I squeezed them. It was like there was no give in the system and the initial bite was not overwhelming with little feel. I didn't like them at all at first but after 50 miles, the pads were biting and they became more progressive and much stronger. I think after another 100 miles I am going to really like these binders.

Handling is awesome, not super quick turn in like an R6 or ZX-6R but still pretty light in the transitions and this was on factory standard suspension settings. A little tweeking on the adjusters and I think the handling will be epic. As is, it felt planted and stable in the turns.

The RS-10Rs felt really good, it was my first time on them and there's nothing bad I can say about them.

Looks is what initially sold me on this bike and my iPhone photo doesn't do it any Justice. In real life, the bike is an absolute stunner in KRT colors.

OK, got to go so that's all for now. Will post more after I get some break in miles logged and get everything bedded in and adjusted.

In summary, despite much initial trepidation in buying this machine, I am so far very pleased with it and can't wait to see what it's like when fully broken in and tuned.

By contrast, I bought a 2016 Panigale 959 back in March and am still learning how to ride it, it's fast but takes some getting used to, the new ZX-10R makes you feel right at home instantly.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have had the rear end step out pretty good twice on TC1 in a corner, this surprised me as I expected this level of TC to really keep the rear end in line. Never had this issue with my old Gen 4. It could be the OEM RS-10s are not as grippy as what I am used to.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My 2015 is nice on and off the throttle but the gen5 is a bit snatchy.
Its not as bad as the r1 but personally id have the r1 flashed so its softer on the throttle at low %.
Id have a r1 if i could afford one. I love zx10rs but the r1 is a better track bike in stock trim

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have had the rear end step out pretty good twice on TC1 in a corner, this surprised me as I expected this level of TC to really keep the rear end in line. Never had this issue with my old Gen 4. It could be the OEM RS-10s are not as grippy as what I am used to.
I cannot tell by your statement if you know TC 1 is the least intrusive setting. So I figured I would point that out. Unless you are "used" to riding on slicks, the RS-10 is a very sticky track tire that is DOT legal. Of course what is "sticky" is really a subjective question.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Also as I'm sure you know thee gen 4 has 3 levels of TC and the gen 5 has 5 so level 1 on the gen 4 is going to be more intrusive then level 1 on gen 5. Level 1 on gen 4 is probably more between level 2 and 3 on gen 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I cannot tell by your statement if you know TC 1 is the least intrusive setting. So I figured I would point that out. Unless you are "used" to riding on slicks, the RS-10 is a very sticky track tire that is DOT legal. Of course what is "sticky" is really a subjective question.
From my original writeup:

I had the dealer set power mode to Full (F) , TC to minimum intervention (1),
I knew exactly what I was getting, I have three bikes with TC in the garage, the '16 ZX-10R , an '11 ZX-10R and a 959 Ducati.

Not sure if the OEM RS-10s on the '16 are the same as the after market variety, they've come unstuck on me a couple times when I didn't expect it, just sayin....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My 2015 is nice on and off the throttle but the gen5 is a bit snatchy.
Try EBC on L for minimum engine braking, it smooths out the off-on throttle response nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all the very informative feedback. I am thinking of switching because the R1 has a lot of parts needed for improvement. Like for example, the front is very stiff, throttle, rear shock, rider position, auto blipper alone cost $700. not to mention insurance cost. So this got me thinking, do i keep putting money in to this or just get a newer bike. I even called my insurance for this bike, and its half and found a deal close to me for under 13K, so looking back, spending 16k on the R1 and still a lot of stuff to change to get it right. I even shop for parts and its still cheaper.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thank you all the very informative feedback. I am thinking of switching because the R1 has a lot of parts needed for improvement. Like for example, the front is very stiff, throttle, rear shock, rider position, auto blipper alone cost $700. not to mention insurance cost. So this got me thinking, do i keep putting money in to this or just get a newer bike. I even called my insurance for this bike, and its half and found a deal close to me for under 13K, so looking back, spending 16k on the R1 and still a lot of stuff to change to get it right. I even shop for parts and its still cheaper.
I undestand what your saying as thats the reason i went kawasaki coz i like to change and modify my bikes and that wouldnt be possible if i had spent all my money on a r1.
But be prepared for a huge drop in low end grunt.
The r1 must have twice the low end of the gen5 i recon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts