Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a new 2016 ZX-10R KRT with or without the ABS system at a fair price

I currently have a 2011 Gen 4 ZX-10R.

It appears that almost everything has changed between the Gen 4 and Gen 5.

You guys that have had both, is the new machine a big improvement in all areas?

Specifically is the TC better?

Power?

Quickshifter?

Suspension?

Handling?

Brakes?

Would you go with or without the ABS?

What known issues are you having?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have a chance to buy a new 2016 ZX-10R KRT with or without the ABS system at a fair price

I currently have a 2011 Gen 4 ZX-10R.

It appears that almost everything has changed between the Gen 4 and Gen 5.

You guys that have had both, is the new machine a big improvement in all areas? Yes

Specifically is the TC better? Much better. Wheelie control actually works.

Power? Substantial increase with similar mods.

Quickshifter? Awesome. Especially with auto-blip downshifting.

Suspension? Meh. Probably better.

Handling? Way more agile. Feels lighter, although I'm told it isn't. Feels more like riding a high-horsepower 750.

Brakes? Non-ABS version is a huge improvement over the Gen4.

Would you go with or without the ABS? I wouldn't have an ABS bike. But I only ride track. For street riding, perhaps.

What known issues are you having? None, other than frustration at no Ohlins carts available for the forks.

Thanks!
See opinions in red, above.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Canyon Carver and ZX10Archer, excellent responses gentleman, that was exactly the type of useful information I was looking for.

Thanks!

Reactions: CanyonCarver

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thank you guys for your info. I have been on the fence for the last few months on if I should stick with my 2012 or maybe try a Beemer or go with a 16 10r. I have a buddy who will let me ride his and hopefully I can get some insight on it. I know it sounds stupid but I wish the new 10r had cruise control and the ABS system from the bmw. I have to ride about an hour to get to my twisty roads and cruise would be awesome. The gen 4 abs brakes seemed very lacking and pale in comparison to any bmw that I have ridden, and from what people have said, the 16 abs bike isn't that much better than the new one.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I can echo zx10rarcher statement only with non abs. I have gen 4 and 5 both without abs and the new bikes brakes are better. So is the suspension, power and handling. Buy the new bike and don't look back. It'll be worth it

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I swapped my '11 ZX-10R for a friend's BMW S1000RR for about twenty minutes of spirited twisties riding and couldn't wait to give it back to him. As I remember, funky looks, brutally stiff suspension, so-so brakes, top heavy feel, slow turn in and nut crunching TC intervention topped my list of reasons to just say "no". My '11 felt like a breath of fresh air by comparison. They may have improved the Beemer in the intervening 4 years, I don't know; but something about that bike just isn't appealing to me.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I will explain myself... gen4 has is weak points but they are addressable without braking the bank.

gen5 resolved those shortcomings, but I personally don't see (unless you are in a very good financial situation or a top level racer) the NEED.

If you ride a 2014 R1 and then a 15 you will enter another realm, going from one to another. but in this case I simply don't see it.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
One more item I keep forgetting to include in this type of thread. Radiator. The '11 had poor paint and rotten fork seals the radiator failed to take a few small rocks. The '13 had improved paint and seals at least as good as 07 r1 and 07 Fz1, so far at 45k, BUT the radiator ALSO failed to take the stones. Also the cam went out on the '13 but the cam Kawa corp covered under warranty. The radiator has to be beefed up or Kawa must include a good guard.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I rode the '12, what did they change for '15?
Auto blip, cornering abs, some internal changes to motor, it's got a user mode so you can customize all electronics setups, changed geometry so it handles better I forget if the 12 has cruise control. Obv the front has bigger intake

·
Registered
951 Posts
The ABS system on the BMW has the exact setup features on the ZX-10R and the Ducati. They work all the same; it's all made by Bosch (look at the etching on the ABS modules from all the models... all made by Bosch).

They all have corner management now (the 11 didn't). I can tell you for sure the braking on the 2016 ABS compared to the 2011 ABS is leaps and bounds better on the new bike as I own both.
Maybe that is true now, I haven't messed with the brakes on the new 10r, but on the gen 4, the Beemer was a lot better in my opinion. I was doing it a bit of research on it and even though they are both Bosch systems, it seems that the bmw uses some kind of pump that boosts braking pressure. Now that both bikes have the caliper set up, I'd assume the same pads, and steel lines, braking performance should be identical, but since I haven't ridden the new 10 I can't comment, however from reading the reviews it seems that you still have to use a fair amount of lever to really get into the brakes. The bmw seems to bite a lot harder with minimal lever feel. They seemed easier to modulate. I'm very interested in trying the new brakes out though.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Find harder to modulate bemmers brake than my gen4 with brembo setup

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts