Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
Bypass valve works when the filter is dirty and the oil can't pass through the filter properly. So I guess that could be the problem. But with fresh oil it should be ok
The bypass valve is spring loaded inside the filter. Depending on what the pressure is, it could very well activate with the higher pressure under normal conditions. And it's more about the filter element getting blown out from the increased pressure and causing debris or clogging the filter itself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The valve opens when the pressure gains (for many reasons, for explame the filter is full) otherwise it stays closed. When it opens the filter doesn't work anymore and the oil is no more filtered. I think the new filter has a different spring that opens at a lower pressure

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
So basically, change your oil regularly (which we all do anyway) and we'll never have to worry about a bypass valve needing to open in the event oil cannot pass through the filter any longer. I suppose in the event if some other, unknown issue where the filter gets clogged, then that would suck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
So basically, change your oil regularly (which we all do anyway) and we'll never have to worry about a bypass valve needing to open in the event oil cannot pass through the filter any longer. I suppose in the event if some other, unknown issue where the filter gets clogged, then that would suck!
yes, this is what I think too
the filter in itself is a quite simple device
and KN should have a good filtering rate

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
The valve opens when the pressure gains (for many reasons, for explame the filter is full) otherwise it stays closed. When it opens the filter doesn't work anymore and the oil is no more filtered. I think the new filter has a different spring that opens at a lower pressure
That would totally defeat the purpose of the new filter. Kawi increased the oil pressure to help support the crank and rod bearings and prevent them from spinning. Among other changes to the crank for this, increasing the oil pressure was one way to do that.

So having the bypass valve open at lower pressure would make it activate sooner, bypassing the filter element. No, the new filter element material, or pleating, or support material was most likely changed to prevent the element from coming apart or failing under the higher pressure and to keep the bypass valve closed until it's actually needed. Obviously, the oil pressure is highest at high RPMs under racing conditions, but there's probably a bit of concern if running the motor with high oil pressure on the older filter.

Clearly, the engineers at Kawasaki felt it necessary to change the oil filter design to handle the differences or they would've reused the G4 filter design.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That would totally defeat the purpose of the new filter. Kawi increased the oil pressure to help support the crank and rod bearings and prevent them from spinning. Among other changes to the crank for this, increasing the oil pressure was one way to do that.

So having the bypass valve open at lower pressure would make it activate sooner, bypassing the filter element. No, the new filter element material, or pleating, or support material was most likely changed to prevent the element from coming apart or failing under the higher pressure and to keep the bypass valve closed until it's actually needed. Obviously, the oil pressure is highest at high RPMs under racing conditions, but there's probably a bit of concern if running the motor with high oil pressure on the older filter.

Clearly, the engineers at Kawasaki felt it necessary to change the oil filter design to handle the differences or they would've reused the G4 filter design.
are you sure they increased ?
From what I read on the manual they decrease oil pressure
that is 0.92 kgf/cm², @4 000 on the 2016
and 1.5-2,4 on the G4
almost the half

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
are you sure they increased ?
From what I read on the manual they decrease oil pressure
that is 0.92 kgf/cm², @4 000 on the 2016
and 1.5-2,4 on the G4
almost the half

I haven't seen the new manual yet but there were press releases stating the increased to prevent bearing damage. Given the fact that I spun a rod bearing on my gen 4 and seen plenty of others have as well, I CERTAINLY hope they didn't lower the pressure. That doesn't really make sense. Even the race head gasket (which I have now) has a smaller passage way in it to increase the pressure in the bottom of the motor.

The gen 4 is rated for 28 psi at 4000 rpm. Lowering that would not be good.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
the filter in question is a K and N filter...

saw a post from EDR performance, complaining that the ban should be only for that brand. that now makes their oil filters in china.

by the way the gen5 filters oem is on backorder.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
Here it is
Ahhh, but the readings are not taken at the same temperatures. The Gen 4 is recorded at 50 deg C and the Gen 5 is taken at 90 deg C. That's a significant difference in temps that will change the readings based on the viscosity of the oil. So it's not really a straight comparison. It doesn't account for the large drop in readings, but still.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Omg you are right ! So bypass valve could be open e oil non filtered...ok i think that could not be a problem with fresh oil and a moderate use (i used it to make other 500km after break in at moderate rpm )
I was afraid that the kn was not permeable enough but maybe it's the opposite
Anyway from now on i will use oem

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey guys I just ordered the paper version of the Gen V service manual (used the part number from this thread thanks!). But I could really use a .pdf version. I have some parts I am changing and need torque specs and how to's. The paper back won't be here until wednesday or thursday of next week. Anyone care to share a copy of their digital service manual? Thanks

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,806 Posts
So... Are we gonna get a copy of the service manual hosted?
If anyone had the PDF version, it would be posted already. :idea:

The Race Kit manual should be able to be downloaded from Kawi's site.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts