Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
I got the below response from the main dealer but I remain unconvinced.....

Good Afternoon,
Kawasaki technical support have just got back to me and confirmed that what you are experiencing is characteristic of the model year, so it's best that you either have the quick shifter enabled and use it as intended or disable it so you can use the clutch when in slow moving traffic without the 2 systems conflicting and causing the bike to cut out in the lower gears at low speed/low revs.

Thanks,
Louis
OK, well they basically said the same thing I did in my original post. So, you can help your case out if you can provide more detail to them. Like an actual speed this is happening at. It may be rider error or it could be something to do with the bike. If you're below 5,000 RPM, you should be in first gear only. In traffic or not, stay in first gear at that low an RPM. If you're preloading the pedal with the QS engaged and are too slow to shift, the systems will fight each other if the RPMs drop and the QS engages with the throttle closed. The gear change should be a quick, fluid motion that should take about 1 second to complete. Roll off the throttle as you're pulling the clutch in -> shift up -> roll back into the throttle as you're letting the clutch out. Done. But again, you should not need to shift into anything other than 1st gear less than 5k on the tach.

Pay closer attention to what you're doing and make a note of those things to provide to the dealer. Terms like "low speed" and "low RPM" are subjective and mean different things to different people. So help them figure out what is really going on so they can help you. You may also ask them if you can schedule an appointment to have their Tech do a test ride on it to see if it's working as expected or if they can cause it to occur. But the more detail you have, the better you will be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have been changing gear OK for over 40 years now and always managed it OK in the past. I know I'm getting on a bit but this is not user error.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
I have been changing gear OK for over 40 years now and always managed it OK in the past. I know I'm getting on a bit but this is not user error.
OK, that's good! Just throwing it out there, again. ;) The dealer will be more useful to you if you can tell them that when you're "going 50kph in first gear at steady throttle and 5,000rpm, I try to shift from 1st to 2nd and the motor quits 3 out of 4 times." That's the type of thing they need to hear to try and figure it out rather than the generic response you got already. And talk to them to see if they can at least verify it's working properly or if they can replicate the problem themselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi , no problem 😉

my dealer seem to think that I just should not use QS on the road 😢

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
958 Posts
Or you know, let the bike rev up more than 8k at the minimum before you shift. And use the quick shifter at that point. Be sure to not let off the throttle when u do. If anything add a lil before you shift. No bliping it or any crap like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi, I went out yesterday and on the way it never failed, and I deliberately used the clutch at slow speed.

on the way home after switching the engine off briefly it failed 3 times when going from 1st to 2nd.

I now don’t trust it and will leave the QS disabled so that I can use the clutch without the risk of it cutting out

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Hi, I went out yesterday and on the way it never failed, and I deliberately used the clutch at slow speed.

on the way home after switching the engine off briefly it failed 3 times when going from 1st to 2nd.

I now don’t trust it and will leave the QS disabled so that I can use the clutch without the risk of it cutting out
Well, I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and see if they can replicate it. Keep it off for now, but that still doesn't seem right. You have a workaround for it.

I can't relate to it at all. My G5 has never experienced that since I got it new. I have never turned the QS off and use it regularly along with the clutch lever. I have my ECU reflashed with the autoblip engaged and can use any combination of QS, autoblip, or normal clutch use. I never use the QS or autoblip when transitioning from 1->2, but the engine has never even hiccuped let alone stall out. So, I'm confused what the problem is on yours. I can't believe my technique is that different, but that's why I've been posting up suggestions related to that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I agree it can’t be correct despite what I am being told by my dealer.
The information you have provided is very useful and will help me prove my point
Thanks again

21 - 28 of 28 Posts