Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem that occasionally the engine cuts out when moving from 1st to 2nd (using the clutch) I can usually then bump start it whilst still rolling but it is unnerving when filtering.

I wonder if this is something to do with the QS as I tend to have this enabled at all times...

It is as if the bike is confused at low revs and maybe the QS and manual action of the clutch cause some confusion.

Anyone else had this issue?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
To answer this type of question, it's always helpful to know the details. Like, what's been done to the bike as far as upgrades go? What RPM are you trying to shift at? Does it happen at any specific RPM (low, mid, high)?

The issue has been noted before, but it has to do with downshifting from 2nd to 1st with the throttle closed at low RPM coming to a stop. It's not due to the QS being enabled unless you're inadvertently preloading the sensor with your foot at low RPMs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
The bike is totally standard and it definitely when I am upshifting but at very low revs. This first time it did it I was crawling around a traffic island and shifted from 1st to 2nd whilst rolling again at very low revs.

To avoid it happening I tend to just always use the QS for up changes even at very low revs and speed and this never fails but it just feels more natural to me to use the clutch at low speed and revs.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Hi,
The bike is totally standard and it definitely when I am upshifting but at very low revs. This first time it did it I was crawling around a traffic island and shifted from 1st to 2nd whilst rolling again at very low revs.

To avoid it happening I tend to just always use the QS for up changes even at very low revs and speed and this never fails but it just feels more natural to me to use the clutch at low speed and revs.
OK, well that's pretty much your problem then. The QS is for track use. It's not an automatic transmission feature. The QS is designed to be used at high RPM with the throttle fully open under heavy acceleration. It's not for use riding around on the street in traffic. It interrupts the ignition timing momentarily to allow a gear change. At low RPMs with steady throttle applied, the timing is too long for that and the engine can't recover quickly enough and will stall out sometimes. Especially going from 1st to 2nd which is the longest gear change since it has to go through neutral to get there.

The transmission can be damaged mechanically if the QS is used incorrectly. That will likely happen if you keep using it like you describe. The stalling is related to the way you're using it, not the bike itself.

Reactions: 27racecar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I am going to try riding it with the QS switched off to see, I guess what you say makes sense but I would have hoped it would work either way.
Thank you for the advice :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
OK, I am going to try riding it with the QS switched off to see, I guess what you say makes sense but I would have hoped it would work either way.
Thank you for the advice :)
You shouldn't have to switch it off. Leave it enabled and don't use it when you're riding around town. The software looks at throttle position and clutch lever switch to know if it should be looking at the QS sensor. The QS won't do anything if just you use the clutch like normal. Basically, if the clutch lever is pulled in, the QS is turned off until the clutch lever is released. When riding around town, use the clutch. When hammering the throttle and going full blast, just hit the shift pedal. You shouldn't have to change settings on it. But if you are just riding around town in traffic and you do a clutchless upshift expecting it to just shift gears on it's own, you might see some weird things happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry you misunderstood me, I am using the clutch and this is when it shuts down.

I pull the clutch in to move from 1st to 2nd and as I do this the engine stops. If I am still rolling I can bump start it but on one occasion I had to coast to the side of the road, switch the ignition off and restart the bike.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Sorry you misunderstood me, I am using the clutch and this is when it shuts down.

I pull the clutch in to move from 1st to 2nd and as I do this the engine stops. If I am still rolling I can bump start it but on one occasion I had to coast to the side of the road, switch the ignition off and restart the bike.
Yeah, OK, that's a bit different then. I thought you were trying to use the QS at slow speeds.

This situation may be more related to what I was describing before out it stalling out when coming to a stop. What is your EBC setting? If you're running running it on LOW, try that. It's likely related to the IAP fuel mapping and the way it controls the off throttle fuel response. It's been known to happen. The EBC setting changes the response on it slightly.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, OK, that's a bit different then. I thought you were trying to use the QS at slow speeds.

This situation may be more related to what I was describing before out it stalling out when coming to a stop. What is your EBC setting? If you're running running it on LOW, try that. It's likely related to the IAP fuel mapping and the way it controls the off throttle fuel response. It's been known to happen. The EBC setting changes the response on it slightly.
Not sure about my EBC setting tbh will check tomorrow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, KEBC is switched off,
Power is Full,
KTRC set to 4 and QS switched on.

I think I may have to go back to my dealer to see what they say.....

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have found some posts on here from 2016 and it seems I am not alone with this issue..
titled "engine shutting down"

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
I have found some posts on here from 2016 and it seems I am not alone with this issue..
titled "engine shutting down"
Yup. I see that you've already posted in that epic thread. That was from awhile ago and there was never any closure to it. The stalling issue was more about downshifting and coming to a stop versus what you talk about. And the leading recommendation was to sync the TBs. Some talk about the QS causing it like you said. It could be a contributing factor, but I still don't think that has to do with it. But in the end, that thread doesn't really resolve the issue.

The problem occurs when the fueling drops off from a closed throttle. Then the idle speed control valve (ISCV) takes too long to catch it to prevent the stalling as the engine revs drop to idle. The EBC setting being OFF will keep the fuel turned off when the throttle is closed for emissions reasons. The ISCV has to add fuel to catch it before it drops too low. It's a drastic change. With the EBC setting in LOW, it will add some fueling to keep the braking effect not so abrupt. You should change the setting to LOW and see what that gives you as far as this problem goes. The secondary effect is it should make the on/off throttle transition smoother.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Oh, and riding around with the TC in 4 is ridiculous. That is so intrusive you should see it intervening going through a roundabout. I wouldn't even run that mode if I was riding the bike in a hurricane. Holy crap. That won't cause this issue, but it caught my eye when looking at your settings. Get out of that mode! Unless you've bought this bike as your first bike ever and are learning to ride a motorcycle for the first time, there's no reason to be anything higher than level 2. EVER! ;) :geek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the settings you suggested but sadly no difference, if anything it cuts out more now. Tried changing from 2nd to 3rd today with the clutch and engine died , just like flicking the kill switch

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,342 Posts
Tried the settings you suggested but sadly no difference, if anything it cuts out more now. Tried changing from 2nd to 3rd today with the clutch and engine died , just like flicking the kill switch
Well, that's a shame. So, if you pull the clutch and close the throttle, it just dies? Or if you pull the clutch with constant throttle, it dies or it holds the RPM constant while the clutch is in?

It doesn't sound like something major, but it also sounds like something that may need to be checked out under warranty to pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, that's a shame. So, if you pull the clutch and close the throttle, it just dies? Or if you pull the clutch with constant throttle, it dies or it holds the RPM constant while the clutch is in?

It doesn't sound like something major, but it also sounds like something that may need to be checked out under warranty to pinpoint the issue.
Thanks for the help BTW I will let you know if I get it sorted

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the below response from the main dealer but I remain unconvinced.....

Good Afternoon,
Kawasaki technical support have just got back to me and confirmed that what you are experiencing is characteristic of the model year, so it's best that you either have the quick shifter enabled and use it as intended or disable it so you can use the clutch when in slow moving traffic without the 2 systems conflicting and causing the bike to cut out in the lower gears at low speed/low revs.

Thanks,
Louis

1 - 20 of 28 Posts