Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Hope you guys have fun on the road.

I'm here to ask for some help..... please.........

I don't know how to attach video here, so I posted on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3xIeK5pHX0

Dose anybody know what this noise is? Is this tthe CCT noise? It's really annoying when I sit on my bike.

It's from my 2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS, I bought it this March and I only have had less than 700 km on it with normal break in.

I am very sure this noise is from somewhere between the oil tank and the top of engine. A you can hear, it occurs at low rpm (about from idling to 3000 rpm, maybe because engine sound is too loud over 4000 rpm). In this video, I was not shooting my bike, I just put the microphone towards the engine.

By the way, I just went to dealer last Saturday for checking this problem. However, after 1 hour ride there and when I start my bike there to let them hear, the noise was just gone :frown2:.... Then of course dealer said everything is OK.....

Please let me know what is the issue... Thank you sooo much...

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,708 Posts
Welcome to the party!

I didn't watch the video, but from the description and other threads on the issue, it's the cam chain tensioner.

Noise at idle - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

EDIT: Just watched the video. Definitely the cam chain tensioner.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2016 as well. I've been dealing with intermittent cct noise since about 550 miles. I've got about 2300 miles on her and here is my experience. Ticking from cam chain gets louder and louder then goes away (assuming this is when automatic tensioner decides to finally click out a notch) engine sounds better for a bit then the noise returns and gets more annoying until the next click of the cct. Bike basically has sounded somewhat like a diesel since around 550 when I first started noticing the noise. I'm getting used to it at this point and I figure if I have the dealer replace the cct I'll just go through the crap again once the chain stretches. Hoping that at some point soon the chain will settle a bit and I can use the method on the forum of backing the cct out slightly to get it to click once and I can be done with the sound for a while. Enjoy your new bike, it's a wonderful machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I just don't know if the dealer will fix this.... I sent them the video and they said they cannot make out the noise....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the party!

I didn't watch the video, but from the description and other threads on the issue, it's the cam chain tensioner.

Thanks! I just don't know if the dealer will fix this.... I sent them the video and they said they cannot make out the noise....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you are right, the noise is just gone today.... I guess it will be back soon, LOL..... I was told there is a kind of updated CCT, do you know about that? Can we ask that from dealer?

You said there is method to back the CCT? Could you send me the link, please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2016 as well. I've been dealing with intermittent cct noise since about 550 miles. I've got about 2300 miles on her and here is my experience. Ticking from cam chain gets louder and louder then goes away (assuming this is when automatic tensioner decides to finally click out a notch) engine sounds better for a bit then the noise returns and gets more annoying until the next click of the cct. Bike basically has sounded somewhat like a diesel since around 550 when I first started noticing the noise. I'm getting used to it at this point and I figure if I have the dealer replace the cct I'll just go through the crap again once the chain stretches. Hoping that at some point soon the chain will settle a bit and I can use the method on the forum of backing the cct out slightly to get it to click once and I can be done with the sound for a while. Enjoy your new bike, it's a wonderful machine.
Yeah you are right, the noise is just gone today.... I guess it will be back soon, LOL..... I was told there is a kind of updated CCT, do you know about that? Can we ask that from dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the party!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So glad I got the warranty...five years. That noise sounds like ball bearings in a coffee can.
Yeah sounds really bad, not like a brand new bike:crying:

I have warranty also, but if the dealer still says everything is OK then the warranty helps nothing, right? I just don't know if I can force them to change a updated CCT....

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Yeah sounds really bad, not like a brand new bike:crying:

I have warranty also, but if the dealer still says everything is OK then the warranty helps nothing, right? I just don't know if I can force them to change a updated CCT....
You could file a grievance with KHI. May not matter either way but I would just for spite. I would also take matters into my own hands and get the updated CCT and install it myself. But that's just me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could file a grievance with KHI. May not matter either way but I would just for spite. I would also take matters into my own hands and get the updated CCT and install it myself. But that's just me.
You are right. I will send them email and see what happens. :smile2:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,708 Posts
You are right. I will send them email and see what happens. :smile2:

Homez has the right idea. But there's really nothing headquarters will do until it's seen by a dealer. And they won't diagnose it over a video.

Get a trailer or truck and take it there so they can start it cold so they can hear it themselves. Or remove it yourself, reset it, and see if it will extend properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Thanks.
I think I'd still get it to the dealer first before playing with it. My dealer made note of it when I had the 600 mile service done and they are more than willing to help. I just figured I'd drive it a bit and if it gets to a point where it's continually noisy then I may address it. Right now it's there for a couple rides then it's gone for a couple. Honestly it just seems that basically it takes a bit more slack than we would like to allow the cct to click out. As long as there isn't any engine damage I'm not too concerned. Like others, I got an extended warranty and I take real good care of my bike. If anything does come of it, it'll be Kawasaki and my dealer handling it.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/201...-tightening-diy-tick*-tick*-tick*-132881.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Homez has the right idea. But there's really nothing headquarters will do until it's seen by a dealer. And they won't diagnose it over a video.

Get a trailer or truck and take it there so they can start it cold so they can hear it themselves. Or remove it yourself, reset it, and see if it will extend properly.
Yeah DIY always the best.:grin2: I will check if I can take it out without touching the coolant pipe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'd still get it to the dealer first before playing with it. My dealer made note of it when I had the 600 mile service done and they are more than willing to help. I just figured I'd drive it a bit and if it gets to a point where it's continually noisy then I may address it. Right now it's there for a couple rides then it's gone for a couple. Honestly it just seems that basically it takes a bit more slack than we would like to allow the cct to click out. As long as there isn't any engine damage I'm not too concerned. Like others, I got an extended warranty and I take real good care of my bike. If anything does come of it, it'll be Kawasaki and my dealer handling it.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/201...-tightening-diy-tick*-tick*-tick*-132881.html
I bought extended warranty also. I will go for first inspection on July 30, I think I can wait until then:smile2:

·
The Pace
7,162 Posts
Nothing wrong with the bike. You won't hear anything with ear plugs but if it's the cam you'll hear it thru the ear plugs. Corp replaced mine after dealer reported the clicks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts