Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done quite a bit of searching but only had luck locating information on removing/capping the EVAP system on 2011-2015 bikes. It appears that instead of just California, all 2016's have the canisters now (must be for EURO 4). Eventually, this will be my track/race bike so I'd like to plan on removing it all this winter. Can anyone tell me how they accomplished this? I have a service manual, but it doesn't say much about this system. I understand the system basics and know how it's "plumbed", just need to know which hoses to delete, which to cap, and if I can unplug the solenoid without throwing a code. I have the Woolich tuning software. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I removed the canister and the valve and all the hoses and capped off the vacuum nipples on the throttle bodies. I then ran both lines off the tank to a Y to the vent tube down into the lower. Disconnecting the evap solenoid will throw a code but the code can be disable with FTECU. I had Woolich for a while and the code couldn't be disabled with Woolich at that time, not sure if they have that feature now. You can leave the solenoid connected and tucked up in there or there may be a resistor/jumper that can be used to defeat the light. Not sure about that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to avoid removing the airbox, but no dice. It was a PITA when I installed the air injection block off plates. One last question, how does the tank vent now that the two lines coming off it are "Y"'d together? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, just a thought....and I hope I am thinking about this correctly, but it sounds like the fuel tank does not vent through the cap (as it does on my Daytona 675 track bike). Instead it vents out through the evap system canister. If we cap the "return" line from the canister to the throttle bodies, we should be ok. We can't necessarily cap the "supply" line running from the tank to the canister because the pressure would build up. By connecting the the "return" and "supply" lines together, we essentially vent the tank into the throttle bodies. I assume this won't hurt anything. What if we capped the throttle bodies AND the "return" line right at the gas tank BUT installed a venting keyless gas cap like the Vortex unit. Would this work?

A nice write-up to help understand the system: How To: 2013+ ZX6R EVAP removal, Block off plates for CA models - ZX6R Forum

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey how's it going? Do I have to totally remove the lines from the purge valve to the throttles? Or can I just plug the line? My reason for deleting is I just need the room in the triple tree area. And the can takes up space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
You can just plug the line.

As mentioned before, removal of the solenoid will throw a code unless your flash disables it.
You must leave the breather hose open of pressure will build in your tank and you cant open the gas cap. (I did this... hahhaha)

With the bike running, the hose that has vacuum is the one that needs to be "open" The other can be removed along with the canister itself.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Any further info? Im about to get my new zx10 and im looking to do this mod as it will be a racing bike
Follow this thread: https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/flapper-valve-removal-ram-air-314225.html
There's a complete breakdown with a picture of the installation instructions on there. Should be VERY self explanatory and easily. Make sure you disconnect the correct hoses and make sure you've got steady hands because the plugs are easy to lose. The directions will also let you know which parts to order. I think all in all there was like $30 in parts. I recommend heating up the fairings with a heat gun before removing the canister screws/bolts... on my bike that s*** was TORQUED on there. You're going to have to completely remove the front cowl, headlights, fairing stay, tank, and complete airbox to do a full emissions removal.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
682 Posts
Do i have to remove the ram air valve lr i can just diseable it with ftecu and would be the same?
You can disable it without actually removing it. You might as well just go all the way and remove the weight though IMO.
Also check your PM's... I sent you one a couple days ago I think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will do it on the next days, i think i already figure out everything that i have to do and im about to get all plugs necessary, thanks for your help, i will let you know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cap red hose from tank leave blue one alone cap both nipples off of throttle bodys and remove all of the plumbing/canister/fuel return do not cap off the blue hose only the red.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts