Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a lot of posts discussing brake pads on a race track, but if I do even one track day this year I'd be happy. I ride roughly 20,000 miles per season and I'm looking for brake pads as strong as the oem ones I had... but I know absolutely nothing in this field. Could anyone give me suggestions in that matter ?

For a street bike, how often do you guys change the brake fluids ? I guess I'll have it done with the brake pads. Next step would be brake lines, but that's another story.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
OK, so a couple of questions here for ya...

What is your goal for the pad replacement? "Strong" pads don't really mean much without qualification on that in YOUR VIEW! You see, the mileage itself doesn't matter. You replace the pads when they're worn out. If that happens in 5,000 miles or 25,000 miles will depend on the pad material and how they're used. The pads have wear marks on them like tires do. Once you hit that mark, it's time to start looking for new ones and get them out of there.

Track or race-orientated pads serve primarily to address the fade issue under repeated, hard use. It's also a personal "feel" issue. I hate the types of pads that you have to squeeze really hard on to get the reaction out of them. I like that hard initial bite when the lever it squeezed. So that's why I change the pads out. Vesrah and Carbon Lorraine pads are great in this regard. For me that is. And the higher price of them is worth it. But it's a feedback/confidence issue, not with mileage. I want my brakes to feel a certain way.

If you follow the maintenance schedule, the fluid should be changed out ever 2 years or roughly that. It absorbs water and that degrades the fluid. So that's usual timeframe if it's normal street use. Race track and brake part servicing can shorten that time.

The Gen 5 already comes stock with stainless brake lines, so what's the goal of swapping those in the future?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I saw a lot of posts discussing brake pads on a race track, but if I do even one track day this year I'd be happy. I ride roughly 20,000 miles per season and I'm looking for brake pads as strong as the oem ones I had... but I know absolutely nothing in this field. Could anyone give me suggestions in that matter ?

For a street bike, how often do you guys change the brake fluids ? I guess I'll have it done with the brake pads. Next step would be brake lines, but that's another story.
Why would you change brake lines?

·
Registered
207 Posts
EBC Gpfax, for serious canyon or track riding, strong bite with no fade. EBC hh for street occasional track day, fairly strong bite but you may get some fade on track depending on how hard you brake. I go with the Gpfax because I like the hard bite and less lever pressure required. They wear quicker but who's keeping track. Carbon Lorraine didn't work for me. Not aggressive enough.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Im my humble opinion for this caliper

RSV4 pads oem work great.
stock suzuki pads (gsxr 1000 and 750 with brembos use the same pad), and EBC HH are garbage.
stock pads are good, and H2 uses same pad
EBC GPfax are excellent but wear out very very fast.
Vesrah pads are excellent but you have to chose the correct one for your purpose, they have street one for decent price and more expensive for race. you will see that most of the race guys use them for a reason, japan made.

Never CHEAP with brake pads, plastic surgeons or a penal lawyer (usually when you kill a SOB)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
+1 on EBC HH for the street/track days.
Do not use race pads on the street; they will not work unless you can keep them hot and if the little water gets on them they are worthless forever......

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,735 Posts
Uh, I'll add a -1 to the EBC HH recommendation. The only thing I'd use those pads for would be to hold down my paper maintenance manual in high winds.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that I have EBC hh on my Yamaha fjr1300. They work well enough to stop that Pig. Didn't say they would win any races but if you are looking for an inexpensive pad that works decent, I know they work. They are half the price of Gpfax pads. Which is what I run on my Zx10 and Zx6r. To be honest I want the least expensive pad that works the best. I paid $63.00 for one set of Gpfax pads. HH are like $30 per set. Not trying to defend shit but I have used worse pads.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
First, EBC double H are excellent pads. I have literally hundreds of thousands of miles on them and many super bikes.

Use the oem pads and then try whatever you want. They all work and work best when not needed. Trust me on that.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
First, EBC double H are excellent pads. I have literally hundreds of thousands of miles on them and on many different super bike manufacturers.

Use the oem pads and then try whatever you want. They all work and work best when not needed. Trust me on that.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Jajajja. If you deliver news paper use HH.
Vesrah has a new street pad very afordable.
If I was going to sell bike. I would buy sbc pads they work good but not on par of the oem or vesrah

Enviado desde mi G3123 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thats the thing with the ebc pads....they dont cost that much less than a decent pad.

If a person searches ebay, a vendor has a full set of Vesrah VD-355jl pads, enough for both calipers, for 59.99, free shipping. Im sure our vendors on this board wont charge much more.

Its not the rjl pad, but still 10,000 times better than ebc. If cheap and poor performing is important, theres always Galfer.

I hate ebc HH pads because:

1.... they dont work very well, as compared to anything else

2... If used hard, the backing plates warp.

3...they are noisy

4...they run filthy. Maybe not as bad as galfer, but constant black rims.

5...If used hard, they tear the hell out of the rotor. At least Galfer organic pads polish the rotor to a show finish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
EBC HH are absolute garbage. There are sooo many better choices out there...

ROGUE RACING Brake Pads Review Page
Is this your page? If so, I have a question please..

On another review, you speak of the Brembo pads, and you did not like them. That surprised me as I suppose they were supplied with the Brembo calipers you bought..the several sets of high end calipers,, I should say. Its crazy to think a 2500.00 caliper would be supplied with crap pads.

Brembo pads no good? What was their issue? I dont mean it in an argument sort of way. Its not often that you run across a person who as uses so many different pads and brake combinations. When I run across soemoen like that, I'll go ahead and listen.....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is this your page? If so, I have a question please..

On another review, you speak of the Brembo pads, and you did not like them. That surprised me as I suppose they were supplied with the Brembo calipers you bought..the several sets of high end calipers,, I should say. Its crazy to think a 2500.00 caliper would be supplied with crap pads.

Brembo pads no good? What was their issue? I dont mean it in an argument sort of way. Its not often that you run across a person who as uses so many different pads and brake combinations. When I run across soemoen like that, I'll go ahead and listen.....
When you purchase lower end ($800-$1600) Brembo Calipers like the HPK or M4 etc they come with stock Brembo brake pads. Those pads are absolutely horrible. I mean they may be fine riding around town or cruising down the highway, but after a session on the track with my then brand new GP4-RX calipers which are only a tiny step up from the other low end Brembo stuff I had doubled my lever travel and the calipers themselves were so hot I couldn't touch them with my bare hand. Naturally I was starting to blow corners everywhere simply because I couldn't get the bike to slow down properly.

I switched to the CL C60 pads for the next session and the problem went completely away.

Now when you purchase higher end Brembo components like the GP4-RR monobloc's they are in the neighborhood of $1500 for EACH caliper and then you have to buy the brake pads separately at an additional $400-$500 cost. I've also used the older 4 Pad Brembo monobloc's that are about $2500 EACH plus another $1200 for Narrow Band FF Rotors and then you still have to buy the pads separately :) The main compound Brembo uses for racing is the Z04 and it is absolutely awesome. They are expensive, but worth it. They also make those that compound available for quite a few OEM style calipers. In the recent past they have been very difficult to get consistently even for Brembo Calipers let alone the OEM's as the US Distributor just didn't really seem to give a shit about motorcycles. We now have a new US Brembo Distributor that seems to be taking the entire business much more seriously so that may no longer be an issue.

I will very likely continue to use and sell the Carbonne Lorraine pads as I know they work and really do think they are the best value for race pads (even if their price has been going up as the brand gains popularity in the US) and equally important find their supply chain to be very good. It's fairly rare for them to be on Backorder from the factory in France

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the end I guess I'll go with OEM ? Everyone seems to counter eachother on which aftermarket does it right.
It turns around 250-300 USD for 2x front and 1x rear.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Everyone seems to counter eachother on which aftermarket does it right.
That's only because people that haven't ever tried anything better always feel the need to spout off on threads like these as if they are seasoned experts. It's the same as some guy that lost his virginity to his high school sweetheart and then married her telling everyone else how great his wife is in bed :crackup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get the point, and I also understand everyone tried something different. I'll check the price difference between CL XBK5 (and XR3) as they seem to be pretty good quality for street use.

I tried looking at all the Vesrah models, but they website looks old and the navigation isn't really intuitive.

I'm still shopping around.

Edit: Oh and thanks everyone for all your opinions, they're all valuable !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts