Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pirelli is well worth the extra coin.. Im happy to pay for the engineering and development that goes into the tires. The only brand that makes improvements as often as they do, every year there is a new track option or improved compound...

·
Registered
8 Posts
in the video they aired the GSXR tires up to 32 front and 30 rear.
my manual for my zx-10r says 36 front and 42 rear?
I understand a slight difference but that seems extreme?
any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
any thoughts?
Those pressures are for when you have a passenger onboard.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
any thoughts?
Those pressures in the manual are maximum pressures for maximum weight on the bike. As stated, for riding around with a passenger on board. Each tire type and manufacturer will specify a recommended pressure and will be completely different than what Kawi wants to run.

·
The Pace
6,949 Posts
Corsas on g4 don't feel any different but DO have different wear rates compared to all others AND the front wears differently than back. Back wore out at 1800 miles while the front hung in there past 4400 miles with sides way down and plenty left on middle. Never had a front last so long.

psi. Ran the coras at 30, both, only because tech guy was all concerned about whatever as THIS will happen with corsas if psi too low and THIS will happen with corsa if psi too high, but thought I'd better listen. With all other tires never paid attention to psi on g4, up until now as suspect 30 on rear keeps fronts around awhile longer. lol

probably the ONLY tire that we would really notice a difference on the g4 is the all out race.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
any thoughts?
Track pressures are entirely different than road pressures. Why? The tire needs to be at an optimum temperature and pressure while riding. On the road, you will never get the tire up to the same level of stress as the racetrack, unless you are just cruising around the track as a novice for a sightseeing lap.

The stress on the tire from high cornering and braking loads, but mostly from hard acceleration, creates a lot of flex and heat in the tire, far more than road riding can do. Thus we start out with a much lower pressure in the tire, because the stress and flexion creates a much higher buildup of pressure due to the excess heat. This will get the tire up to the recommended temperature and pressure for track use along with providing a lot larger contact patch. We start out with a higher pressure for the front tire because it's subject to a lot less stress than the rear and needs to be bumped up closer to its desired hot pressure from the start. The rear starts off at a lower pressure, but the pressure will rapidly build because of the stresses of acceleration; we get a hotter tire, with a higher track pressure, but the compound is also sufficiently heated to provide the best grip.

One thing about tires these days is the compounds are drastically stickier and longer-lasting than we had 20 or even ten years ago, so we can run the tires at higher pressures on the road, and still get excellent grip, protection from road hazards, and longer tire life. Traction control and ABS add additional levels of safety if you have them.

When it's colder we run lower pressures, sometimes 29 front/26 rear, for example, for Q3s. 32/30 is the standard baseline for most supersport road tires for standard conditions, basically 59 deg F/15 deg C or thereabouts.

Don't run these pressures on the street. If you're lighter, like me (141) you can drop them a bit. I run 34F/40R which is very good for all-round riding and tire longevity. If you want to see if you are in the ballpark, check your pressure and set it right before you ride, and check it again when the tire is hot. Generally you don't want to see much more than a 10 percent increase for road usage.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have been riding Pirellis for years and have said the exact same thing regarding the way they feel.

Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout Part 1: Introduction - MotoUSA - YouTube

http://youtu.be/8_5HHBP9yuw

http://youtu.be/7Dh1WtCzzO0
In the late 1980's we had the Metzeler Comp K's, a bias-ply tire, and these were phenomenal. When the radials started to show up, they really sucked at first, weird feel, uneven traction, and so on, and were only available for the rear wheel for quite a while. I detested Dunlops until I finally tried the Q3's; they finally got away from the triangulation and have superbly even steering feel and fantastic traction and good longevity.

If I was doing track days at the Main Road Course there at WSIR, I'd just back off a bit in Turn 8 on the Q3's, it's not a race and Turn 8 has a way of being very sneaky and spitting riders off into the desert there. Like Adam said, for the Streets at Willow, the Q3's are fantastic, pretty much flawless. They have a little less rubber on the ground than the Pirellis but the speeds you ride on the Streets, they're ideal. Pilot Power 3's which I've also used, I agree with Waheed, they are just not a very good sport tire.

It's all about confidence and Pirelli/Dunlop would also be my top picks. But for the price, for street riding, the Dunlops are winners.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have anyone used sport turing tires... me and friends use Pilot road 4 and ride very hard on the street and they last a bit longer

Tires are a form of insurance. I personally like to buy the absolute BEST tires simply to minimize the chance of an accident coming from a non-gripping or slipping tire.

It's one of those things I like to look at as, it's better to have and not need rather than to need and not have. Because you won't realize you needed it until it's too late.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ah tires, for anyone from any of the sportbike tire manufactures that may read this (ya I know don't say it). I want a street tire that sticks like an SC1 slick but lasts for 20000 miles at least. Just hoping and praying, I love pirellis, dunlops the new bridgestones. I love wearing them out. I use Q3s now but run low tire pressures, best compromise I can find, however I have a brand new nasty set of michelin slicks in the basement waiting for the next trackday.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
oh yeah, this "review". this test was flawed in that pirelli used tires that cost more than their race slicks as their 'street tire' entry. no shit it won. not knocking it as a good tire but, it's a straight track day tire people race on.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Pirelli is well worth the extra coin.. Im happy to pay for the engineering and development that goes into the tires. The only brand that makes improvements as often as they do, every year there is a new track option or improved compound...

That's called a marketing gimmick...

When they get it right the first time they don't have to improve upon it every six months. :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts