Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay so I just picked out a new 30th anniversary 2015 ZX10r. My buddy owns the dealership and has a Dyno and a professional tuner that all he does for a living is tune. he's amazing, he tuned me In 2007. my buddy shop is extreme machines in Millstone New Jersey so it is at sea level . He told me he is going to get my bike on the Dyno to get some miles on it then he is going to do a baseline run 100 % stock, then he is going to do a full system Alrapovic and air filter baseline then a wool-ish I guess basic de restriction Dyno and then an all out tune. Excited to see all the numbers and how much a profession Woolish tube will help me

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOOLICH
You will be happy with the 30th I got mine a few months ago, no different to the others but its one of those models you'll only get to buy once..
M4 is nice, post some pics when you have it on!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Also Curious myself to see the results.. I'm not far from your buddies shop and just added an M4 exhaust to my new Gen 4..

·
Registered
966 Posts
You'd be surprised how many shops are getting into it.
Good. Before I got my flash I asked my shop (one of oldest in country) about installing Woolich usb they were a tad iffy they kept steering me towards pcV, they also said they've had a ton of problems with bazzaz. i told them it was really my best option due to restrictions and option for quick shifter. PcV can do qs but can't derestrict. So either way I need to install log box or mail it ya know.. Worked out good I think.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Good. Before I got my flash I asked my shop (one of oldest in country) about installing Woolich usb they were a tad iffy they kept steering me towards pcV, they also said they've had a ton of problems with bazzaz. i told them it was really my best option due to restrictions and option for quick shifter. PcV can do qs but can't derestrict. So either way I need to install log box or mail it ya know.. Worked out good I think.
That's the old way of thinking. To shops, time is money (and it is). ECU tuning on the dyno isn't any more difficult than a PCV/Bazzaz; similar concepts. The only problem is it takes a few extra minutes. And when you're really trying to nail something down, it can get a little tedious for all that work for just a few percent.

For shops that use tuning link and such, it's pretty much babysitting the bike as the dyno and the software does almost all the work for them. Wheel the bike in, do its thing, wheel it out, repeat.

Luckily some shops are starting to notice that performance is being restricted almost as much (sometimes more) inside of the ECU than a stock exhaust. So unless Dynojet releases something to remove restrictions inside of the ECU, then they either have to shell out $$$ to have them flashed for them and then tune them on the dyno or else take things into their own hands and purchase their own kits.

A lot of shops are starting to see the value in this and it's picking up considerably as is and will only grow over time. I recently convinced a shop that is a huge, nationally reputable Dynojet tuner that has pretty much been with Dynojet since the beginning to purchase a full bench flashing suite. He realizes how things are changine and instead of paying $375 to have them flashed for him, he can do it himself for less than a third of that cost and then still use his Dynojet stuff to do air fuel. Although he is slowly starting to come around to the on bike stuff, in time I think he will change. But for the time being, that setup works for him. He (and his customer) isn't spending as much out of pocket on dereglating the ECU and the bike isn't sitting in his shop waiting for an ECU to come back from a send in service resulting in customers getting their bikes back faster and for cheaper. Win win for everyone involved.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have all the final results posted later this week but I can tell you that bone stock it was 171 wheel horsepower and I believe those are Dyno jet correction factor numbers. He said Dyno jet is all standard everywhere?? The tune was not complete but my buddy said that it was up to 188 hp which I'm assuming is around about what it is going to be total. I'm not sure if he's going to squeeze out anymore power as he fine tunes it more but if I'm not mistaken he mentioned to me that the basic woolich unlocks with the Full system exhaust and air filter on it only gained six wheel horsepower and the tune added 11-12 more.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
he mentioned to me that the basic woolich unlocks with the Full system exhaust and air filter on it only gained six wheel horsepower and the tune added 11-12 more.
Other way around...

Removing the secondary restrictions and timing restrictions is good for ~15-20HP depending on the dyno. Fuel correction after that you're looking in the 3-5HP range.

Bone stock dyno versus flash with decat slip on and minor fuel adjustments. So essentially removing the ECU restrictions: tapatalk_1415228189744.jpg
You see a majority of the gains with the flash removing the restrictions.

This is what the difference between the flash and fuel correction does:
10754944_10203229903413346_871204935_n.jpg
You see little minor gains with fuel correction.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does 171 hp stock to 188 hp after the full system and tune sound low?? if I combine both your minimums it only comes out to 18 and I only made 17 . hard to believe some people can gain 25 while others can only gain 17 or is that all Dyno related

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Don't get caught up on those numbers bro. They are just numbers I guarantee if you go to a different dyno its gonna be different. Now 188 definitely doesn't sound low to me at all(hell my gen2 is only making 158hp). It may be low compared to whAt others got, only way to truly compare would be to put your bike on the same dyno.

Edit: I just read you're putting on the full akrapovic, how much did that exhaust set you back? I can't wait to see pics of it I'm a akrapovic whore lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did the full system akrapovic. My buddy got it to me for cost for 2k. I was just under the assumption that if I pay top dollar for my parts I would get the higher numbers of horsepower difference

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I understand that, but you really can't compare your results with what guys have here. You'd be better off comparing the same bikes that have been on that same dyno. Even then it's subjective because there's tons of factors to think about when trying to compare dyno numbers.
Exhaust looks great too. Lovin' that sexy Ti.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does 171 hp stock to 188 hp after the full system and tune sound low?? if I combine both your minimums it only comes out to 18 and I only made 17 . hard to believe some people can gain 25 while others can only gain 17 or is that all Dyno related
I don't know if it is dyno related. I am also curious about that.

My 2013 ZX10R made 176.7hp with MPG slip-on BMC Filter and base map on PCV.
After my ECU was flashed with Woolich software it made 185.71hp.
With custom fuel map on the PCV it made 193.6hp.

Regardless of the 193.6hp figure that seems very high, there was a 16.9hp increase after the flash and fuel adjustment.

That is around what you got?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dynos do read differently so you cant really compare your results to mine, at least it gives you an indication.

Another question I have wondered about for a while, is if a dynamometer can be manipulated to read certain or "HIGHER" numbers?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A Dyno can be manipulated by changing the correction factor but they use the standard correction factor that all Dyno jet customers are supposed to use to keep things as consistent as possible. at least that's something along the lines of what my buddy told me.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Regardless of the 193.6hp figure that seems very high, there was a 16.9hp increase after the flash and fuel adjustment.

That is around what you got?
Yeah but I only gained 17 hp from 100% stock to a full system exhaust with a Woolich tune. I bet your bike started around 170 so in my opinion you gained much more than 16.9. more like 23
from bone stock to where you got after the tune

1 - 20 of 24 Posts