Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the fuel pressure on the pump? My bike is hesitating really bad at full throttle above 6000rpms. I was going to test the pump pressure.

To start with I thought it was water in the gas from the ethanol sitting in the tank for 3 months over the winter. I drained the gas, put fresh gas in with some fuel injector cleaner, and ran that tank out. No improvement. Maybe the fuel filter in clogged. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anyone know the fuel pressure on the pump? My bike is hesitating really bad at full throttle above 6000rpms. I was going to test the pump pressure.

To start with I thought it was water in the gas from the ethanol sitting in the tank for 3 months over the winter. I drained the gas, put fresh gas in with some fuel injector cleaner, and ran that tank out. No improvement. Maybe the fuel filter in clogged. Any suggestions?
not sure if you have had the tank raised or taken off.. may want to check for a kinked fuel line that is under the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It started doing this the first time I cranked it up this year. Probably 3 weeks ago.

I put block off plates on last week and took the tank off. I was careful to not kink a hose putting it back on. Still doing it when I fired it back up

·
Registered
374 Posts
Basically sounds like you have a fuel starvation issue.

Check the gas tank vent lines under your tank, make sure they're not pinched and clear of any junk. After riding for a while, when you open the gas tank filler cap do you hear air pressure realease or air sucking sounds? If so that will probably mean you have a vent line that's pinched or clogged. It's a simple thing that can happen and since your bike is pretty new it's a free easy fix that you can do at home and not drop money on a mechanic.

When you're 100% sure the lines connected to your gas tank are all good I would follow on by checking the fuel pump and throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Basically sounds like you have a fuel starvation issue.

Check the gas tank vent lines under your tank, make sure they're not pinched and clear of any junk. After riding for a while, when you open the gas tank filler cap do you hear air pressure realease or air sucking sounds? If so that will probably mean you have a vent line that's pinched or clogged. It's a simple thing that can happen and since your bike is pretty new it's a free easy fix that you can do at home and not drop money on a mechanic.

When you're 100% sure the lines connected to your gas tank are all good I would follow on by checking the fuel pump and throttle position sensor.
Are you sure about this? My bike is brand new, and after riding for a while, when I open the gas tank filler cap I definitely hear what sounds like air pressure release.

·
The Pace
7,177 Posts
Are you sure about this? My bike is brand new, and after riding for a while, when I open the gas tank filler cap I definitely hear what sounds like air pressure release.
normal; closed system; fuel injection. Under warranty. My guess is that you didn't do the work yourself or you would've tore into it yesterday.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had the same issue as you, cap making sucking noise or relieving the vacuum on the gas tank. Had a vent line blocked, adjusted it and I got rid of the issue. Same deal with the fuel line. bogging above 6k. pulled the tank and re positioned the fuel line, issue fixed. Def. double check or have someone ensure the lines are not being pinched, then go further.

·
Registered
114 Posts
normal; closed system; fuel injection. Under warranty. My guess is that you didn't do the work yourself or you would've tore into it yesterday.
Brand new 2016. Only work I've done is removed battery, and changed oil twice. Dealership replaced CCT under warranty.

So is it normal to hear the pressure release when gas cap is lifted up or not? I figure it is normal.

I don't want to detract from the OP's question.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts