Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a crash about three weeks ago. Nothing serious damage to my the bike. The bike had slid all of the way on the right side throughout the crash; a broken mirror, both brakes-hand/foot-little scratches on fairings but no damage to the bike's main components. However, as I went to start up my bike about a week after the crash, the bike won't fire up but it cranks. If you hold throttle open while push in and out of the start button, the bike will stay on running for a few seconds but will make big couple popping noises. As soon as you let go of throttle or stop pressing the start up button, it dies. A friend of mine and I had gone through all of the problems that can possibly lead to the issue: replaced with new spark plugs-we have sparks through plugs. Check all fuses on left side of the triple tree-not sure if there are other fuse box hiding somewhere else besides a few that cover under the main seat. Check vehicle down sensor-it seems to be work fine; however, the bike start up the same when it is on plug or unplug position. First, we thought it was the power commander for my graves exhaust; we disconnect it, and had it running as stock; it still does the same thing.
One odd thing about the bike is that when it is been placed in gear while hold down clutch as normal start up, the bike will jump as it is still in gear-also had changed clutch position but no difference. Two years of riding that bike, it has never done that before; hopefully nothing goes wrong in internally. However, the gearing problem is just for moving-not start up problem.
I am Lost. Please help if you have any suggestion. My next step is to report the damage to insurance and make a claim on it which it will be a 1k deductible on my part. I appreciate your time and effort to help. THANK YOU.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
Welcome. Sorry to hear of your get-off.

As far as not starting, it sounds like the vehicle down sensor is damaged. Unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't change anything and it should. But that's not really a valid test. You should check the sensor with a multimeter with it off the bike. A hard impact can damage the sensor. If the FI symbol flashes while the starter button is held, that's a clear indication that the sensor is tripped.

Are there any error codes showing?

The bike starting to move with the starter motor is not good. The clutch would need to be engaged for that to happen. How hard did the bike hit on the right side? What engine cases were bent/scraped? You may have damaged the throw-out rod which is on the right side and the clutch isn't disengaging properly. Or the clutch assembly got damaged. Either way, pull in the clutch cover off and inspecting everything is probably the only way to tell at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your information SkyDork. I really appreciate your time to give an answer toward my needs.
Up to this point, I'm still not sure how hard the bike hit the ground; before I realized the situation, I was already rolling on the ground. For sure, I know that the front tire had given out on me with the new layer of a brand new Q3 tire. From point of impact to where the bike had stopped, I would roughly estimate it as it had slid for a 100 fts. As for the vehicle down sensor, I will take it out to retest again. In turn of showing any error or F1 code, nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary on starting. I know that the pump is working because I can smell gas after couple of starting tries, and when taking out gas hose by turning on bike, it pumped out gas. That's pretty much for starting situation.
As for point of damage and scratches on main engine components, no scratch on clutch cover but a little scratch on the bottom of the side engine case. Most of the impact has been taken out by the frame slider. However, to rule out the clutch problem, I might have to pull the cover apart and replace it with new sets. I have already put 20K mileage on it. As I already mentioned, my next step to make a claim on it which I do not want to do for the 1K deductable, and it will cost me in the long run. Which do you think would be the best option for me? Again, thank you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hope you don't need a police report to make a insurance claim in your venue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You have some sympthoms (popping noises, barely starting) of cam chain skipping a tooth.
Can well happen that during crash motor was kicked backwards rotation.
And possibly loose chain too (ZX10r weak tensioner issue).

Pull cam cover and check alignment, plus with 20K miles it's time to check valve adjustment anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I can still make a claim due to the reason that I had a toll-truck to pick up my bike, and I'd also informed my insurance that I want them to help pay for my medical portion from the injury. I didn't plan on to make any collision claim due to the fact that from a physical appearance standpoint, the damage was not equal to my deductible value. Anyways, thank you for responding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carlo76, from your statement, it seems as it is a big job. I am not a deep knowledgeable mechanic on this issue; I would not be able to go beyond to realize what is normal in the cam case. I'm thinking it is probably better to leave it to the exper. However, thank you so much for your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts