Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 2014 z1000 abs brand new . i rode it for about a month or 300 miles before i decided i wanted a super sport so i traded it in and i purchased a brand new 2014 zx-10r . i had the bike for a day and a half i put just over 50 miles on it and it stop working . i gave it gas and it wouldn't move temp was over 250 . i had it towed back to the store where first they said oh its just an adjustment then they came out and said the clutch is burnt out . how is a brand new bikes clutch burned out in 1 day ? i rode zx10 no different then the way i rode the z1000 for over a month . i was waiting for my title to come in the mail for the z1000 so i can have my tags switched over so i was waiting until then to buy the stores warranty .their saying they have to call kawasaki to see if they will cover it because the clutch isn't cover under factory warranty . i'm saying it had to be defective or something

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,210 Posts
The clutch is usually considered a wear item and is generally subject to warranty exclusions. Same goes with the brake pads and such. But after that short amount of time, your dealer should very well be taking up for you and pushing it through corporate.

But something else is fishy with this, because a clutch failure wouldn't cause a spike in temp like that of for it to quit working. So you've left something out of your description of the failure or the dealer is trying to snowball you on what's wrong.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fortunately this happened to you, because if it happened to me I'd be in a cell for a very long time.

50 miles, fried clutch, temp at 250......... New bike. They shouldn't even fight it if you ask me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Bottom line its a manufacture problem. Dude you can dump the clutch at 7k in 100° weather multiple times in a row without issue. Not saying. I would or to do that just an example. Just say you'll show up with your lawyer and there response will change quickly.

I remember getting new brake pads and rotors on my 07 Sti with just under 30k. If they were below spec before 30k the dealer would replace one time as a good gesture. They hated it , but they did it lol. BTW they where brembo rotors and pads, stock over $800 worth of parts. I'm pretty dam sure somewhere in the warranty clause there's a section that states if issue is "manufacture defect" common 50mi. That's not even a tank of gas. And theoreticly should have been on break in period anyways. Sooooo uuhhh yeah, get that shit fixed without a doubt. Don't eat the bullshit they feed you because there will be a lot. Ask to speak to their Kawasaki america rep, and say their being rude and you want a full refund. Shit will get handled fast.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lemon law?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I for sure wouldn't entertain any offer other than full warranty replacement. 50 miles is bullshit. Not sure what the deal is with the temp rising though. That's kinda weird, not sure if they would be connected. Anyhow, make sure they take care of you, and if they feed you any lines of shit, call corporate.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is clearly a faulty product hence it should be replaced, no clutch should be shot after 50 miles. Make sure you know your rights if they stuff you around. You would have to be doing drag starts to stuff the clutch up within the first 1000 miles. Probably got a clutch with the lubrication not done properly there have been a few on here with clutch issues.

I would be asking for a new bike as in the first 1000km (not sure what service interval in the USA is) thats when the most wear is occurring in the engine, that temp is to high and may have damaged the engine. In the Australian manual 115c (239F) is the cut off, 120c+ (248F) states significant engine wear will occur.

I would use the manual to your advantage ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
That blows... just keep your records, Im sure the dealer will help you out on whatever needs replacing, Lemon Law only Qualifies if the dealer has tried to fix the same issue 3 times and isn't able to ... at least here in california. I know a good Lemon law lawyer took care of my 2013 Camaro SS kept leaking Brake fluid from Brake Master Cylinder .... =( Sucks just be patient. Im sure theres nothing they wouldn't do to keep the sale.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Make sure they change your oil because all the material off those fiber plates is now floating around in the oil making it a soupy mess.

·
Registered
438 Posts
so you guys are saying i shouldn't pay and i should get a lawyer and request a brand new bike ?
YES. Unless it was your fault and you aren't telling us something.. DON'T PAY FOR SHIT. If it really comes down to it and they are absolutely not going to pay or give you a new/different bike, get a lawyer. You may even be able to just threaten them of a lawyer and they'll come crawling to your needs. Be firm.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'd drop the bike off to them and say according to the manual significant engine damage have possibly occurred and I need written assurance to the contrary. Either that or buy my bike back and give new one. If they say no, say alright, keep the bike and you will hear from my lawyer. Have a wonderful day!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
should i get a lawyer because the way the dealer is talking i'll have to pay for the repairs
Is there another dealer near by? I would do as others said and threaten with a lawyer and calling kawi yourself especially if the dealer hasn't even investigated the issues and can't tell you why your temp skyrocketed.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,210 Posts
should i get a lawyer because the way the dealer is talking i'll have to pay for the repairs
I'll be the voice of reason here for a minute. :ayyy:

No, now is not the time to lawyer up. You need to be firm, but polite with the dealer and make your case for why they need to get this handled under warranty. You should not be paying for repairs at this point. Have your dealer give you a report on what is actually wrong with the bike and how they intend to fix it under warranty.

If they insist you pay for it, try taking it to a different dealership. If that is not possible, then advice the current dealer that you'll get the corporate headquarters involved to figure out the actual issue and a viable solution to it. Again, it's better and more productive to work with the dealer. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but a bad bearing gets replaced.

Lemon Law does not apply here. The dealer has to make 3 good-faith attempts at fixing the bike before that can be invoked. They will not buy-back your bike and give you a new one at this point no matter what you do. That WILL NOT happen! There's no need to go stiff-arming anyone at this point. There's a time and place for that sort of thing, but this is not the juncture.

I'm still waiting for a description of the actual problem though. You haven't even given us a good explanation here as to the problem. The clutch being "shot" will not affect coolant temperature. What's posted doesn't make sense. You'll NEVER see 250 degrees on the instrument cluster. At 240 degrees, the word "HOT" overwrites the numeric display and starts flashing at you and doesn't go away until it cools back down to 239 degrees. And a clutch problem would not affect the coolant temperature. So something here just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just got off the phone with the dealer . they are saying the temp spike is from revving the engine when the clutch failed that the bike has a high temp fail safe. they said kawi will cover everything except for them having to open the oil pan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts