Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the euro models have the blinkers next to the brake light on either side. Any one know of that is compatible with the us model and if so where to get it?!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,678 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a few people have done it. It's plug-n-play, as long as you can source the parts. US dealers cannot get the Euro parts directly, so you have to order them from overseas. There are several threads from the past on doing the conversion. Here's an aftermarket solution that is close, but much easier to get:

http://www.motodynamic.com/kawasaki/turn-signals/2011-2015-kawasaki-ninja-zx-10r-rear-panel-sequential-led-turn-signal-lights-smoke.html
You sir are amazing! Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, a few people have done it. It's plug-n-play, as long as you can source the parts. US dealers cannot get the Euro parts directly, so you have to order them from overseas. There are several threads from the past on doing the conversion. Here's an aftermarket solution that is close, but much easier to get:

http://www.motodynamic.com/kawasaki/turn-signals/2011-2015-kawasaki-ninja-zx-10r-rear-panel-sequential-led-turn-signal-lights-smoke.html
You sir are awesome!. What about the plastic piece the original lights came out of? Plugs for it ? Or is there a piece i can get for it. I thought i saw one from hotbodies but cant find it

·
Registered
633 Posts
A word of caution with the Motodynamic turn signals. The resistors they come wired with get seriously hot (and I mean REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hot) when the signal is active for anything greater than 20-30 seconds. They get to the point that you can't touch them or they'll burn you. The heat shrink on my left resistor melted off and one on a buddy's bike fried and failed. I tried to think back to when I've had my signal on for long durations and it dawned on me that when you're sitting in a line of cars waiting on a left turn lane, you can actually be there for quite some time.

If you're planning on running these signals, try to minimize the time you have the blinker on and locate the resistors away from critical wiring or bodywork.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,678 Posts
A word of caution with the Motodynamic turn signals. The resistors they come wired with get seriously hot (and I mean REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hot) when the signal is active for anything greater than 20-30 seconds. They get to the point that you can't touch them or they'll burn you. The original heat shrink on my left resistor melted off and another ressistor on different bike fried and failed. I tried to think back to when I've had my signal on for long durations and it dawned on me that when you're sitting in a line of cars waiting on a left turn lane, you can be there for quite some time.

If you're planning on running these signals, try to minimize the time you have the blinker on and locate the resistors away from critical wiring or bodywork.
You don't "need" the resistors in the circuit for these to function. They are load-equalizing resistors to keep the blink rate slow like OEM. If you leave them out of the circuit, the lights will just flasher faster. Frankly, that's better in my opinion since they are more attention-grabbing to other cars.

The other option would be to source a full-electronic flash unit and replace the OEM one. They are not that expensive and would solve the fast blink issue without the resistors.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,678 Posts
You sir are awesome!. What about the plastic piece the original lights came out of? Plugs for it ? Or is there a piece i can get for it. I thought i saw one from hotbodies but cant find it
You mean the undertail? You'll just have to figure out how you want to handle that. Plug the holes, get a complete undertail for it, leave the rear fender on there, etc. Lots of ways to handle that once you figure out what look you're trying to go for.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in the UK and can pick them up from a dealership. I'll call around sometime this week to get prices. Probably going to be the more expensive route but you know you'll get a quality OEM product. Shipping should be pretty close to domestic (generally less than $12.00) with my APO address.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You don't "need" the resistors in the circuit for these to function. They are load-equalizing resistors to keep the blink rate slow like OEM. If you leave them out of the circuit, the lights will just flasher faster. Frankly, that's better in my opinion since they are more attention-grabbing to other cars.QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight! Ironically I'd always wished that they'd flash faster for the very same reason as you mention above. So it's just that easy? Cut off the resistors and close the circuit?

Thanks!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,678 Posts
Thanks for the insight! Ironically I'd always wished that they'd flash faster for the very same reason as you mention above. So it's just that easy? Cut off the resistors and close the circuit?

Thanks!
Yes, simple as that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the motodynamic LED's on my bike, and i felt they were of good quality when installing them. Only time will show if they'll last. They look good though.
Install was easy, but kinda tricky to get them lined up correctly, but not horrible.

I agree with the statement about the ballast resistors getting hot. They came with connectors, so they are easy to disconnect (no cutting needed).
I've decided to remove the resistors, but still want the stock blink rate, so i'll replace the turn signal relay with this one that fits bolt on:
http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-Controller-Signal-Square-Kawasaki/dp/B00NO49SR0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean the undertail? You'll just have to figure out how you want to handle that. Plug the holes, get a complete undertail for it, leave the rear fender on there, etc. Lots of ways to handle that once you figure out what look you're trying to go for.
Trying to get a clean look. No holes in the undertail. I will probably end up moving my license plate else where. Everything i have seen has been something that just removes the fender but keeps the holes there for another bracket for the plate to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed the motodynamic signals and realized that it was only a matter of time before the resistors would melt some plastic. They were too hot to touch after only 10-15 seconds. I picked up a led flasher relay for Kawasakis at Cyclegear for $20. It flashes at a normal speed and doesn't get hot now. It plugged into the factory harness so no cutting necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will most likely use no resistor because of the faster eye catching rate of the fast blink. Plus i never sit at the stop light with my blinker on.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Does anybody happen to have a video of the blink rate without the resistors?

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
I installed the motodynamic signals and realized that it was only a matter of time before the resistors would melt some plastic. They were too hot to touch after only 10-15 seconds. I picked up a led flasher relay for Kawasakis at Cyclegear for $20. It flashes at a normal speed and doesn't get hot now. It plugged into the factory harness so no cutting necessary.
I installed the relay i got on amazon and it works perfectly too. :smile:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does anybody happen to have a video of the blink rate without the resistors?

Cheers
If you remove the tail section and find the blinker connectors and remove one and turn ur blinker on the front should flash rapidly. Thats the speed it should flash at.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you remove the tail section and find the blinker connectors and remove one and turn ur blinker on the front should flash rapidly. Thats the speed it should flash at.
That's a good tip, thanks. I want to see what how they blink with the sequential pattern so I'm just going to have to remove the resistors to find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a good tip, thanks. I want to see what how they blink with the sequential pattern so I'm just going to have to remove the resistors to find out.
i did find a video on instagram of the turn signals. however im un sure if the turn signals had the resistors . the users name is _otes_

1 - 20 of 20 Posts