Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't see any threads on how ya'll all did so I thought I'd post up. Struggled on Fri and Sat but did OK at the Open Superstock National Championship on Sunday. Placed 9th. Top 10 finish ain't too bad. There were several DQs..."random" post-race tear downs for illegal parts/builds. Some drama for ya! Anyhoo, here's my time progression over the 8-lap race:

1:44:960
1:41:375
1:38:995
1:39:140
1:37:681
1:37:436
1:37:784
1:37:121

During the first four laps, I was trying to get around a couple of slower guys and there was a waving yellow flag at some point. Finally passed them at Charlotte's Web and then put the hammer down. Lap 8 was my fastest lap and I was still having trouble quick-shifting. This was my first sub-1:38 so I'm happy about that. I think (I hope) I see 1:35 to 1:36 next season!

I was losing time coming out of T17 on to the front straight...and that's where I felt the Kawasaki lacked low-end grunt. May switch to a 520 chain and one up rear sprocket to see how that works out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a poor start to the day on Saturday. First race, my engine started sputtering and I pulled in early as it was starting to be a hazard. Pulled the race gas out and filled it up with pump gas, reset the fuel map to zero. That resolved that issue. Second race I just couldn't get into a good rhythm, best lap was 1:37. Fast I suppose, but not my best. Last race I started to do poorly again but then something clicked in my head when I heard Chris start to close up on my with his Aprilia again. Put my head down and did a 1:35.3, my best lap by 1/2 second, but nowhere near good enough to be competitive in expert....got 11th place for that and the people behind me were catching up.

I skipped Sunday's races.

All in all, I'm disappointed in my year overall. I did get better, but not by a lot, especially at Roebling and Barber, both tracks saw marginal improvements this year from me. I earned several last place finishes and it's not the equipment at all, it's all me. I really need to think about what I'm going to do next year to improve. I'll be looking for race schools to attend at the start of the year for sure. I'm pretty consistent on 5 seconds behind the leaders...that's a LOT of time to make up and I just don't know where it's at yet...probably a bit of everywhere: braking, cornering, driving out of the turns. It's definitely not a lack of HP, holy cow the 10 is fast, especially with MR12.

Oh, and for gearing for Southeast tracks, I've been running +1 rear lately and just switching the front between 16 and 17 teeth for the different tracks.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
kman, do you have a place you THINK your losing time? Drive out of the corners, turn in, straight-a-way speed, any place to start? Are you + in the rear at all?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a poor start to the day on Saturday. First race, my engine started sputtering and I pulled in early as it was starting to be a hazard. Pulled the race gas out and filled it up with pump gas, reset the fuel map to zero. That resolved that issue. Second race I just couldn't get into a good rhythm, best lap was 1:37. Fast I suppose, but not my best. Last race I started to do poorly again but then something clicked in my head when I heard Chris start to close up on my with his Aprilia again. Put my head down and did a 1:35.3, my best lap by 1/2 second, but nowhere near good enough to be competitive in expert....got 11th place for that and the people behind me were catching up.

I skipped Sunday's races.

All in all, I'm disappointed in my year overall. I did get better, but not by a lot, especially at Roebling and Barber, both tracks saw marginal improvements this year from me. I earned several last place finishes and it's not the equipment at all, it's all me. I really need to think about what I'm going to do next year to improve. I'll be looking for race schools to attend at the start of the year for sure. I'm pretty consistent on 5 seconds behind the leaders...that's a LOT of time to make up and I just don't know where it's at yet...probably a bit of everywhere: braking, cornering, driving out of the turns. It's definitely not a lack of HP, holy cow the 10 is fast, especially with MR12.

Oh, and for gearing for Southeast tracks, I've been running +1 rear lately and just switching the front between 16 and 17 teeth for the different tracks.
You will find a way...that's what the winter is there for...some reflection.

Have you done a 520 conversion? I'm running plain 'ol 93 octane pump gas...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts

·
Always On Mod
1,842 Posts
I haven't started racing yet, but I'm working on getting my lap times down at trackdays. Check out fastersafer.com, there's a lot of good subtle information there about how to ride faster. My 2 big take-aways on how to pick up time
1) get a notebook with a track map and write down observations after each session (race), I try to focus on 2-3 corners so I don't get overwhelmed.
2) watch videos of faster guys and take notes on their braking, turn-in, accel points

·
Chairman of the Board
16,051 Posts
I haven't started racing yet, but I'm working on getting my lap times down at trackdays. Check out fastersafer.com, there's a lot of good subtle information there about how to ride faster. My 2 big take-aways on how to pick up time
1) get a notebook with a track map and write down observations after each session (race), I try to focus on 2-3 corners so I don't get overwhelmed.
2) watch videos of faster guys and take notes on their braking, turn-in, accel points
Good advice right there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good advice right there.
Agreed. Good stuff right there. Another technique I learned is to go watch an endurance race. The fast guys are out there lap after lap for hours together. Gives you time to walk around the track and observe them from different vantage points. You can hear and see when they are rolling on and off the throttle at different turns. Take notes...emulate.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You will find a way...that's what the winter is there for...some reflection.

Have you done a 520 conversion? I'm running plain 'ol 93 octane pump gas...
Yep, 520 sprockets and chain. I burn up a chain once/year pretty much, so not bad considering the abuse it's getting.

I'll definitely being doing some reflection for sure, and some saving...expensive hobby ain't it? Hopefully see you out there next year.

I know my worst part is the first half of the turn. I slow too much and get all messed up on my entry. I remember even during that last race where I was doing 1:35s, I didn't get my knee down until towards the end of turn 5 where I should have been accelerating out of it. I just can't seem to get the right feel for it. I know more pressure on the bars would help. I think I tend to try and lean the bike into the turn also rather than actually steer the bike into the turn...makes for a slow turn. I'll be focusing on that first ride of the year for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts