Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I will try again tomorrow with video! Yeh! It's seem weird! Something is not right! Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is very strange! I have not rode this bike much at all! It's only got 4500 miles on it! She is a cream puff! Like New! The last time I rode it in 2019! I hit the rev limiter a couple of times in that ride! She should at least roll in gear! It won't move except for dragging the rear wheel! Kawasaki forum says put SeaFoam or B12 in the oil. May try changing oil & Filter!

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,068 Posts
so wait, the engine can’t turn the rear wheel even on a stand?
with the bike in neutral you can Turn the rear wheel by hand?

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes! I can spin the rear wheel in Neutral only on the a srand or roll the bike only in Neutral. But the rear wheel will not turn in 1st gear (engine on or off)!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,505 Posts
Yes! I can spin the rear wheel in Neutral only on the a srand or roll the bike only in Neutral. But the rear wheel will not turn in 1st gear (engine on or off)!
Well, that's really messed up. Changing oil or adding Seafoam to it won't help much with that. I need to look into that a little more. Based on everything I see here, it sounds like the transmission is seized up from sitting around. I would not except you to be able to turn the wheel by hand on the rear stand while in gear. That would mean that you're trying to turn over the engine. I was trying to see if maybe the rear brake caliper was seized up and locking that, but not if you can spin it at all in neutral. There is something else happening that is much more serious than that.

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,068 Posts
If able to spin rear wheel by hand in neutral, means output shaft and gear train is free.

If engine able to run in neutral with clutch out means input shaft and gear train is free.

I wonder if two gears are engaging at the same time in the tranny? That would lock it up solid in gear but would imply a broken shifter fork or something? Also you wouldn’t be able to select neutral then right?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,505 Posts
If able to spin rear wheel by hand in neutral, means output shaft and gear train is free.

If engine able to run in neutral with clutch out means input shaft and gear train is free.

I wonder if two gears are engaging at the same time in the tranny? That would lock it up solid in gear but would imply a broken shifter fork or something? Also you wouldn’t be able to select neutral then right?
Yeah, if it was the input shaft, that's connected directly to the crankshaft flywheel. If that was an issue, the engine wouldn't turn over. So it's not that for sure since the input shaft is always spinning if the motor is turning.

The clutch connects the input to the output through the gears. In neutral or clutch pulled, just the input shaft spins with the motor. I would think it would be possible to select neutral in and out and still have the gear pairs move incorrectly to lock it up. If for some reason the shift drum and shift forks are moving more than 1 pair at the same time, it would do like you said. But that would imply that you could reverse that back to neutral and be OK. That would be a serious issue from just sitting around for so long. Definitely would do that though!

I was trying to think about how the output shaft bearing might have failed. That would cause the tranny to have so much drag on it, the wheel would spin really slowly while the clutch plates were slipping. I would think that would make noise and or smoke from the clutch though. And it's certainly not typical. That's about the only thing I could come up with that would be somewhat in-line with the symptoms and cause. But I'm still scratching my head as well. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Kick stand up, neutral selected & clutch in (my habit for safety but also relieves the starter of transmission drag a little) it starts but dies with a jolt when put into gear, then wont crank in gear even with clutch in is relatively normal. Wont roll not started and in gear is normal. Wheel free spinning on stand in neutral is normal wheel won't spin in gear on stand is normal. I wonder what your tickover rpm is when started? Low rpm will stall as there is not even power to take on the transmission drag when put in gear. You used seafoam but i think maybe if bumping up idle speed doesn't work have a look at fuel filter as maybe restricted fuel flow at idle speed is causing super lean until the throttle is blipped.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I read this thread within a few hours of it being posted and thought WTF i couldn't work it out like you other guys i didn't even make a comment i read every time somebody has chimed it. But 30 minutes ago i read again the start of thread and i have to ask the OP if that was edited since the thread was started.

"I have not been a member since 2016 or 2017 under the same or different username. I have not rode my 2012 ZX10R that much sine I purchased it New in 2012. Last rode in 2019. My bike dies with a Jerk going into 1st. Also I can not turn-move the Wheel (crank) in gear (trying to roll ). She won't budge! She cranks and revs find. It not the Kick Stand down! It just dies when that is left down! When I put her in 1st, it dies with a Hard Jerk! WTF! It's like the Transmission is locked-up!"

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,505 Posts
I read this thread within a few hours of it being posted and thought WTF i couldn't work it out like you other guys i didn't even make a comment i read every time somebody has chimed it. But 30 minutes ago i read again the start of thread and i have to ask the OP if that was edited since the thread was started.

"I have not been a member since 2016 or 2017 under the same or different username. I have not rode my 2012 ZX10R that much sine I purchased it New in 2012. Last rode in 2019. My bike dies with a Jerk going into 1st. Also I can not turn-move the Wheel (crank) in gear (trying to roll ). She won't budge! She cranks and revs find. It not the Kick Stand down! It just dies when that is left down! When I put her in 1st, it dies with a Hard Jerk! WTF! It's like the Transmission is locked-up!"
It would sure seem like it's edited with that last statement, but I'm not seeing that it was edited at any point. :oops:

My initial thoughts on that were not actually related to the transmission being locked up, but rather the result of something else. I've seen the clutch pack dry out and not release which causes a similar thing to happen. That's where I was headed until it didn't work. Now it seems like something more severe than that and the tranny is actually locked up somehow.

I can't really work out the rear wheel barely spinning at 3k while on the rear stand and in gear. In that condition, the rear wheel should be freely spinning and the speed should be showing something. The fact that it didn't kill the motor in that scenario is one thing, but that it was spinning very slowly under that means it is under a lot of tension that's dragging it down. That's a new one I haven't really heard about before. :unsure:

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,068 Posts
I read his reply to you as the engine stops with a jerk at 3k rpm and 7k rpm with the back wheel on a stand. I.e. like it’s locked up.

But I could be mistaken.....

Rob

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,505 Posts
I read his reply to you as the engine stops with a jerk at 3k rpm and 7k rpm with the back wheel on a stand. I.e. like it’s locked up.

But I could be mistaken.....

Rob
Could be I didn't get it right. I'll have to reread it myself to get it all straight in my head. If it was the output shaft bearing locked up like I was thinking it might be, then it wouldn't spin in neutral either. So that's not it. Not being able to see it in person makes it more confusing.

Reactions: trebor27

·
The Pace
7,139 Posts
I have not been a member since 2016 or 2017 under the same or different username. I have not rode my 2012 ZX10R that much sine I purchased it New in 2012. Last rode in 2019. My bike dies with a Jerk going into 1st. Also I can not turn-move the Wheel (crank) in gear (trying to roll ). She won't budge! She cranks and revs find. It not the Kick Stand down! It just dies when that is left down! When I put her in 1st, it dies with a Hard Jerk! WTF! It's like the Transmission is locked-up!

Thanks,
Trying to sort. You had a good bike in past. This g4 is new to you. I have to ask a couple things as so many arrive here that fail to link whatever to whatever. You have the bike on TWO STANDS BOTH WHEELS OFF THE GROUND. I can hear riders chuckling. :) you KICK STAND IS UP. You start it up in N (neutral) all good; Kick stand IS UP. Pop shifter DOWN into first and what does the bike do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My 2012 ZX10R is a great machine! Mint! Just has very low miles. 4K! I just have not road it! Clutch Pack rusted (Sits in the garage - Cranked periodically, but did put gear or ride it)! Finally broke the plates loose with a good push! Metal & Fiber plates replaced! $350 All fixed! My M6 BMW is getting an Engine Rebuild! So swapping 500hp for 163hp for now! She will probably sit in the garage so more when I am pushing 800hp!

Most appropriated for all who tried to help!

Thanks!

·
The Pace
7,139 Posts
My 2012 ZX10R is a great machine! Mint! Just has very low miles. 4K! I just have not road it! Clutch Pack rusted (Sits in the garage - Cranked periodically, but did put gear or ride it)! Finally broke the plates loose with a good push! Metal & Fiber plates replaced! $350 All fixed! My M6 BMW is getting an Engine Rebuild! So swapping 500hp for 163hp for now! She will probably sit in the garage so more when I am pushing 800hp!

Most appropriated for all who tried to help!

Thanks!
lol, translation: kick DOWN and bike stalls! well, we all have a starting point. :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts