Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been a member since 2016 or 2017 under the same or different username. I have not rode my 2012 ZX10R that much sine I purchased it New in 2012. Last rode in 2019. My bike dies with a Jerk going into 1st. Also I can not turn-move the Wheel (crank) in gear (trying to roll ). She won't budge! She cranks and revs find. It not the Kick Stand down! It just dies when that is left down! When I put her in 1st, it dies with a Hard Jerk! WTF! It's like the Transmission is locked-up!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,004 Posts
Not sure I followed everything you stated.
1. Check your side stand switch, it may have died. with the bike in 1st and the clutch pulled in, can you push the bike without turning the engine.
‘if yes, likely side-stand cut-out switch is at fault, try starting I. 1st with side stand up, if it doesn’t crank it’s likely the side stand switch.

2. If you can push the bike in 1st with clutch pulled in then your clutch is goosed and not releasing, a tear down will be in order to investigate.

Rob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob, thank for the help!

1.) She wont crank with the Stand up, clutch pull in. In 1st gear. Jerk forward some once I hit the starter button.
2.) She wont roll at all in 1st gear with the clutch pulled (Engine is Off) in. Stand up or down.
3.) Again running in Neutral, Clutch pulled in, Stand up! She dies with a Jerk once I put her in 1st. Thanks

Rod

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Clutch is seized up from sitting so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 (Gen4) ZX-10R
1,004 Posts
Agree with SkyDork, clutch. She tries to crank in 1st with side stand up so the side stand cutout switch is fine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this just a Clutch replacement? What's the normal cost for a Clutch replacement? Thanks SkyDork, Trebor27

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Depends on who's doing the work and the shop rate for it. Probably a little over over $1000 to replace the clutch at a shop, tax and shop fees included.

If I was doing it myself it would be cheaper. I'd disassemble the clutch, take the fiber plates out, free them up, and put them back in after soaking them in oil overnight. Or I'd put it on the rear stand and let it idle for awhile with the rear wheel spinning to get some oil circulating on them. Then I'd probably just hold the front brake tight, rev it up a little above 2k RPMs and drop it into gear to break the plates loose. But that's with my bike.

Reactions: sircas

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can do the rear stand and let it idle! I just put a new battery in it! So it has not run over 20 min (1 yr and 1/2) and less than 5k or 6k rpm. So I should let run some more and higher revs could break the Clutch plates free! However, how do I get the rear wheel to spin (unless you talking about spinning the rear wheel in Neutra) lon the stand if she dies putting her into 1st gear from neutral? Also, I have not changed the oil in 5 to 6 years! Probably newer oil may help. Again, Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yupp new oil will help even oil left idle over single winter season can go bad with condensation but oil that is 5-6 years old and stood for the last 18 months will most definitely be worthless.

·
The Pace
7,076 Posts
OK, idk if clutch can seize whatever. Given all that I scanned, I would try this: ignition on, in N, going downhill or have neighbor push bike on level, NO THROTTLE, again ignition key is on and make sure that you have kill switch ON, and, AGAIN throttle off, pop into 2nd NO CLUTCH.

One problem with all your starting is that the battery is dead so I'm hoping you have it on the charger. Above should sort out whatever.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
I can do the rear stand and let it idle! I just put a new battery in it! So it has not run over 20 min (1 yr and 1/2) and less than 5k or 6k rpm. So I should let run some more and higher revs could break the Clutch plates free! However, how do I get the rear wheel to spin (unless you talking about spinning the rear wheel in Neutra) lon the stand if she dies putting her into 1st gear from neutral? Also, I have not changed the oil in 5 to 6 years! Probably newer oil may help. Again, Thanks for the help!
First thing I would do is put it on the rear stand with the wheel off the ground. Start it. Let the rear spin for a bit. Put it in first gear and keep the rear spinning. Rev it a coupe times no higher than 3k at most. Rear wheel will spin and register some speed. Pull the clutch in to separate the plates while it's spinning a bit and drag the rear brake. Repeat that a couple times to see if it comes free.

The idea is to get oil in the clutch pack while it's spinning. Then you try shocking it with an abrupt load on it to break them lose. They are dried out and the fibers are stuck to the steel plates. The clutch isn't releasing and spinning freely like it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will change the Oil & Filter first! Hopefully I can release the clutches with some Idling and high revs! Thanks for the help! Much more help than my Bimmer Forums! Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scout, I got a new battery yesterday! So that part is good! I can get her into 1st gear with the engine off! But she wont roll at all in 1st! Can't get her into 2nd! I have pop the clutch on my ZX7 in 1st gear when the battery was dead. Now this bike won't roll at all until the Clutch Pack loosen like SkyDork said. I am hearing! Again SkyDork with the rear wheel on my stand, are you saying spin the rear wheel in Neutral with my hand? Because she won't go into 1st gear with the engine running! Just dies with a Jerk (the issue). So you most be referring to me manually spinning the rear wheel in Neutral to get oil in the Clutch pack (does it need to be in gear for that). This is my disconnect!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Scout, I got a new battery yesterday! So that part is good! I can get her into 1st gear with the engine off! But she wont roll at all in 1st! Can't get her into 2nd! I have pop the clutch on my ZX7 in 1st gear when the battery was dead. Now this bike won't roll at all until the Clutch Pack loosen like SkyDork said. I am hearing! Again SkyDork with the rear wheel on my stand, are you saying spin the rear wheel in Neutral with my hand? Because she won't go into 1st gear with the engine running! Just dies with a Jerk (the issue). So you most be referring to me manually spinning the rear wheel in Neutral to get oil in the Clutch pack (does it need to be in gear for that). This is my disconnect!
Im sure Sky means you too start the bike in gear which should be possible on the rear stand.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Nope. The bike won't go anywhere if it's on the rearstand. No need to start it in gear. Don't spin it by hand since that won't do anything. If the rear wheel is off the ground, nothing will jerk and it will go into gear just fine.

Step-by-step:
1. Bike on rear stand
2. Start the engine
3. Watch the rear wheel spin
4. Blip the throttle slightly to spin the motor and get the oil flowing (less than 3k)
5. Pull the clutch lever a few times
6. Put it in gear
7. Blip the throttle slightly to spin the motor and get the oil flowing (less than 3k)
8. Pull the clutch lever a few times
9. Step on the rear brake to slow the rear wheel down and put a load on the clutch
10. Put in in neutral
11. Turn the bike off
12. Take it off the rear stand
13. Try to ride it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok! Light Bulb on now! Sky it make since now! I will try your steps after an Oil and filter change! I will let you guys know if I am riding today or tomorrow! I have been away from the forum to long! SkyDork, Trebor27, Michael4012, Scout again thanks for the help!!

Rod

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Ok! Light Bulb on now! Sky it make since now! I will try your steps after an Oil and filter change! I will let you guys know if I am riding today or tomorrow! I have been away from the forum to long! SkyDork, Trebor27, Michael4012, Scout again thanks for the help!!

Rod
Honestly, I would wait on the oil change. If the fiber plates are stuck, no oil will be getting in between them whether it's new oil or the old stuff. Plus, depending on how stuck they are, some fiber material could come off of the plates. Do you want that stuff in your new oil? I'd see if you can crack the clutch loose and then change the oil to clean and freshen it all up after that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do! I will be putting her on the rear stand and following your list in a couple hours! Hopefully I am riding later today! Thanks Sky! Will get back with you after!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Sky, no such luck on freeing the Clutch Pack. Followed your step to the T. On #3 my rear wheel barely moves with 3k or 7k revs. My wheel just would not Spin! So Same issue: Dies when I put her into 1st gear on my rear wheel stand! I was hoping that works! I have to put my wife's car in the shop this week! So a month or so away before I can put my bike in the shop! My wife likes that! haha! I live here in Dallas, TX so she is not a fan of this traffic for bikes! Any other tips! I might try your other suggestion of disassembling Clutch. No worries though! I have not rode her (my bike) in a 1 year & 1/2! What's another month or 2. Again most appreciated of you and the other members help!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,229 Posts
Hey Sky, no such luck on freeing the Clutch Pack. Followed your step to the T. On #3 my rear wheel barely moves with 3k or 7k revs. My wheel just would not Spin! So Same issue: Dies when I put her into 1st gear on my rear wheel stand! I was hoping that works! I have to put my wife's car in the shop this week! So a month or so away before I can put my bike in the shop! My wife likes that! haha! I live here in Dallas, TX so she is not a fan of this traffic for bikes! Any other tips! I might try your other suggestion of disassembling Clutch. No worries though! I have not rode her (my bike) in a 1 year & 1/2! What's another month or 2. Again most appreciated of you and the other members help!
Well, ain't that a biotch. o_O

You got to #3 and the wheel barely moved at 3k? What speed did it show? That's crazy. If it's on the rear stand, it still dies when you put it into gear? If that's true, I'd love to see a video of that doing what you just said. That would mean that it's more serious than just a clutch frozen. Almost like the transmission is locked up. Something ain't right. :confused:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts