Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having shared by race bike build I figure it only fair to share the build of my other ZX10R.

Purchased off a friend of mine it's a 2012 ABS Model, which had only minor mods done to it. Yoshi pipe, K&N filter, quickshifter, Pazzo short levers, R&G chain adjusters, tinted screen, fender eliminator, GB engine covers, some Chinese matte black fairings and Chinese rearsets, and that's about it.

It didn't look too bad but had plenty of room for improvement.

Not too different currently to most ZX10Rs out there.

The long and short of it the only things that won't be replaced will be the frame, engine, sub frame. Everything else will get swapped out with something... special.

I'll update as bits arrive and hope to do one complete build at the end, but as things turn up, chances are I'll build it as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ahh yes, I forgot the chain and sprockets were changed out for a Driven item and put to 520 by the previous owner.

Since this bike will remain a road bike it will still need to have the basic items that makes it legal to use on our roads, so indicators, mirrors and a license plate all need to be taken into account. It will also need to be able to take a passenger (otherwise the missus will be most put out).

As bike was already rid of its exhaust valve I ordered on of these servo buddies so that I can rip out the exhaust servo and make room for the PCV (which came with the bike but was never installed);

Attachments

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I can see i will be jealous again from another build haha.
Good start there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
At the same time I had a Brembo master cylinder arrive, these come with a brake light switch, which is needed for this project. This is the identical master cylinder I have on the racer.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
So what do you think of those Chinese fairings? I have seen the full set of ABS plastic on ebay for $500, but curious if they are cheesy as most chinese made stuff. Looks good in the pics

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are... ok... not showroom winning stuff, but will pass for acceptable if you get a decent set. Issue with ABS is that it is brittle and very easy to snap of tabs and fittings. A pebble flung up at speed will go straight through them or cause them to shatter. If you look closely at the bellypan just near the the side stand there is a bit which snapped off at one point. No matter they are all getting replaced with something much better in the new year.

To go with the Brembo master cylinder I also ordered some braided Goodridge lines and the reservoir to match.

Unfortunately the Silver lines did not fit, manufactured with the banjos 180 degrees out. No which way I tried to they would not go on. Luckily I had the red ones still in the box of spares which were from the race bike. I have some new ones on order though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A knock on the door and I have in my hand a quick turn throttle;

Made in Japan, the cables are far more flexible than that of the Revolver kit on the race bike.

In case anyone is interested;
Kawasaki ZX10R 2011 2012 JBF Quick Action Throttle Race Track Bike | eBay

Comes with 40mm, 42mm and 44mm tubes... needless to say the 44mm is going in.

Next strip the bike down install the PC5, throttle, brakes and rip out the ABS nonsense all in one go to reduce the amount of times I keep having to tear it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Time to get busy to work...

Strip the bike down, everything off... all fairings, tank, airbox, the lot.

Remove the exhaust servo;

Replace with Servo buddy much less crowded;

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It makes for a very long day, but with the bike stripped down to this point you can throw in the PCV, and take care of the ABS plumbing while you can get at at.

This is the point you need to get to if you are installing a PCV or replacement throttle cables... a right pain in the ass. By this stage I have already ripped out the forward braking system, both tubes that run along the top of the frame either side are gone, the original brake master cylinder has been dumped rather unceremoniously on the ground. Throttle at this stage is still the stock item, but you need to pull off the throttle bodies to get to the damn things, at this point I plugged in the TPS for the PCV as well (black plug on the right of the throttle body. You can see the sliver block bottom left which is the ABS servo, all lines (2 front, 2 rear) have been removed. At this point I also ripped out all the rubber matting that sits over the rocker cover and gearbox. It's only there for sound deadening, but it's dead weight so it must go.

While I would love to rip out the ABS servo and throw it in the trash, these bikes go into a rather annoying fault where it won't rev over 10,000RPM if you remove it, so in it stays, all worthless dead weight.

Should I ever have a need or use for it, I filled the output ports with silicon, this is easy to remove and keeps crud out of the ports. And was my best option as suitable grub screws were to hard to obtain in the right thread.

Oh how I wish someone would develop a plug that will let you get rid of it.

Probably one of the best improvements you can make to the ZX10R... rip the ABS out, put braided lines on it and get a decent master cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
A quick comparison between the old and new throttles;

New cable in place and also threw on the Brembo RCS master cylinder.

I love the way it all goes together with one cable either side of the brake lever.

This is what got ripped out...

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I was lucky that I still had the red lines in the spares box as I didn't realise that my stainless look items weren't going to fit until after I ripped out all the ABS and lines, very lucky.

While I had the fairings off I also popped on the Cox radiator guard that I had kicking around.

Dropped the oil, gave it some fresh stuff and cleaned the chain and sprocket.

At this point I was getting this bike ready a track day where it was to be used one of the pillion bikes to take paying customers out for track pillion session. So blew the dust off the old race fairings started to throw them on. This is only a temporary thing as it will have to go back to street trim before the replacement fairings arrive, though it does feel nice having two track bikes in the garage.

Test fitting track fairings to what is effectively a road bike (or what will remain a road bike) throws up some challenges, which I'm glad to be facing so early so that when the proper fairings arrive I'll (hopefully) have a plan in place. Things like relocating the rectifier, some harness work, immobilizer ECU, plus a host of other items which race fairings just do not take into account.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Gotta hand it to ya, I tend to think about projects versus do them, so this is good inspiration for our upcoming winter.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
The Active throttle looks like it has a awesome fit and finish.

I love the fairings on your race bike, the carbonin ones, look so much better than the stock front.

Get the same for the second bike, put the headlight decals on, the cut a circle on the middle of the headlight decal and install a projector, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looking forward to see the fairings you got. This is my enduro ZX10. I love reading your build threads!
With the race tail

Street tail

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was lucky that I still had the red lines in the spares box as I didn't realise that my stainless look items weren't going to fit until after I ripped out all the ABS and lines, very lucky.

While I had the fairings off I also popped on the Cox radiator guard that I had kicking around.

Dropped the oil, gave it some fresh stuff and cleaned the chain and sprocket.

At this point I was getting this bike ready a track day where it was to be used one of the pillion bikes to take paying customers out for track pillion session. So blew the dust off the old race fairings started to throw them on. This is only a temporary thing as it will have to go back to street trim before the replacement fairings arrive, though it does feel nice having two track bikes in the garage.

Test fitting track fairings to what is effectively a road bike (or what will remain a road bike) throws up some challenges, which I'm glad to be facing so early so that when the proper fairings arrive I'll (hopefully) have a plan in place. Things like relocating the rectifier, some harness work, immobilizer ECU, plus a host of other items which race fairings just do not take into account.
Hi matey just a note if you need it.

I relocated my rectifier here

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking forward to see the fairings you got. This is my enduro ZX10. I love reading your build threads!
With the race tail
That's a sweet looking bike, I stumbled across that nose section on a German website, and also saw your bike come up as well. Very nice!

Hi matey just a note if you need it.
I relocated my rectifier here
Hi Lee, that's where the rectifier sits on my race bike thanks to the race harness being installed. I'm not sure the road harness will reach that far on the road bike though, and that space is taken up by the ABS servo.

·
Registered
211 Posts
ah didn't think of the ABS servo, I bought the non ABS version as its no good for racing.

the loom does reach tho, you can either lengthen the lead, or pull the cable from the loom and then run them under the throttle bodies as I did.

is there no way of completely deleting the servo?

1 - 20 of 260 Posts