Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New to the forums as i've only had my zx-10 since April of this year.

First off,

In the video here I was at my normal day job and left on my lunch break to go to do my second job (Independent contracting)

At the opening of the video which i chose to include to show the white car that was ultimately responsible for the end collision driving erratically or distracted.

Afterwards I get angry with some road rage having had my heart stop for a second when my rear tire slipped with braking. (I should have been paying attention much more closely I know,I was waving to the passing bikers not expecting him to brake right in front of me.

So afterwards insulting the guy and going a good amount over the speed limit for a brief amount of time.... I come to a stop light..

I check to make sure the car behind me was coming to a stop.(getting rear ended has always been a big fear of mine)

So the white Honda hits a golden Nissan which in the end hits me.....

If either car had not been behind me I would had definitely hurt or killed.

I am hoping that the bike isn't totaled because I will be in financial debt. (Bike is financed used, navy fed doesn't offer gap.) I rode it home so i think it's fine.......
What a crazy day. Lucky to be here for sure.

I apologize one last time for language and the road rage..... I mean I did almost die twice in a short amount of time :wink2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1yqniVA0k

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
:welcome: Kramer, glad you are ok!

Certainly not the best of times for you but I don't think she'll be totaled. Could be wrong but unless the frame got bent somehow I'd say she'd fix right up. That being said if this is not your fault then the person who hit you should be paying for it anyway, gap or not. If they don't then I'd think of other ways of getting her back to pristine condition none of which involves your insurance.

Good Luck! :ayyy:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yep you should not have to pay a penny unless the person was uninsured .Then you pay your deductable ,and your insurance company sues the shit out them.glad your ok.could of been so much worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies, I've never been in an accident before so this whole thing is pretty much a major headache. My insurance adjuster said that since the guy hit two other cars it's likely that his property damage will be maxed out or something.

I am hoping for the best though, when the guy comes to check it out in a few days i will know more. I mean I rode it home, was just being careful so my tag didnt fall off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow. When I read the title I assumed it was going to be serious injury or death... you're very lucky there were two vehicles between you and the driver at fault!

This serves as a good reminder to stop staggered in traffic... if that 300 had pushed you any further, you would've been sandwiched between them and the car in front of you, which could've been much worse. Also keep in mind that while your camera captured the driver at fault, it also captures you speeding... (been there, done that).

As for insurance, a friend of mine was in an accident recently and the other driver was underinsured. He had to bring the driver to court in order to get the remainder of his payout, which took about six months and required a lawyer (and thus, fees). Hopefully this isn't the case for you, but be prepared for it if the driver was uninsured or underinsured.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the reply sir,

Normally I do stagger in traffic and i rarely speed on the bike on the streets.

After the almost first hit with me and the car I guess I just wasn't thinking clearly.

Which in the end if i had not sped off in anger and put distance between that guy and myself.....

I might not be here today.. thats why even though I reached illegal speeds i still kept it the video.

It just shows how lucky I am to be here today....

Butterfly effect wise, If i went the speed limit when I passed the guy. he would of rear ended me directly.

If either lady behind me decided to not be there, I would definitely not been as well off as I am currently.

In the video you can see i watch the chrystler 300 in my mirror to make sure they saw me and came to a complete stop, If i had not been talking being oblivous I would have heard the brakes being slammed behind me....

I guess we live and we learn, thank goodness I have the opportunity to learn from this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was an older guy so I doubt it,

Unfortunately, I was told that his insurance was expired so it looks like my insurance has to cover it which means Ill be riding with a straight pipe for a little while (The two brothers is destroyed, the 500 deductible is going to make it not possible to get a replacement exhaust for now)

Florida and the no fault stuff really blows....... I need to pick up uninsured motorist coverage in the area that I am in I guess. Hopefully my rates don't go up too much after this, just a pain in the ass.... ugh.

I just want to ride....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
Was an older guy so I doubt it,

Unfortunately, I was told that his insurance was expired so it looks like my insurance has to cover it which means Ill be riding with a straight pipe for a little while (The two brothers is destroyed, the 500 deductible is going to make it not possible to get a replacement exhaust for now)

Florida and the no fault stuff really blows....... I need to pick up uninsured motorist coverage in the area that I am in I guess. Hopefully my rates don't go up too much after this, just a pain in the ass.... ugh.

I just want to ride....
Sorry to hear of your woes. Sucks to be hit like that, but it could've been worse.

But, the good part is your rates won't go up. Just because you have a claim, it will still be deemed "not at fault". So your rates shouldn't increase because of it. The problem with Florida isn't the no fault rules, it's that they don't really have enforcement on it when someone's insurance lapses. Too many times, someone will get a policy to renew their registration, and then stop paying until the next year. So uninsured/underinsured is a decent option in FL because it's so rampant.

As for running an open pipe, you'll probably go about 5 miles before your ears are bleeding or your neighbors gun you down. I don't suggest doing that. Either put the stock can back on or find a cheap used one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As for running an open pipe, you'll probably go about 5 miles before your ears are bleeding or your neighbors gun you down. I don't suggest doing that. Either put the stock can back on or find a cheap used one.
+1
Check the classified section. There's usually a good deal on exhaust.
I see a lot more trick parts for sale now that some guys are switching to the Gen 5.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What is the Florida and no fault stuff?

Why dont you sue this guy?

Sorry to hear about the wreck.

On the "glass half full" perspective that old bastard did you a favor in smashing that POS Two Brothers exhaust :)

Now you have a reason to go get a good one for your bike :) Yosh, Akra, Graves, etc....

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,726 Posts
What is the Florida and no fault stuff?

Why dont you sue this guy?

Sorry to hear about the wreck.

On the "glass half full" perspective that old bastard did you a favor in smashing that POS Two Brothers exhaust :)

Now you have a reason to go get a good one for your bike :) Yosh, Akra, Graves, etc....
Florida No-Fault is sort of the catch-all phrasing in the law. There are several States that have this type of insurance law. Basically, the law requires all drivers to carry Personal Injury Protection (PiP) coverage at a $10,000 minimum. In the event an accident happens, each driver's insurance is responsible to cover each driver for the PiP claim portion. It doesn't apply to Property Damage, like in this case. So the OP will be making a Collision claim against his own policy rather than being able to file a claim against the other driver.

Because of the above, he could sue the other party for damages not recovered. In this case, the deductible he's got to cover for the Collision payout - or $500. Since his insurance is paying out, it would be the insurance companies responsibility to recover the damages. The OP can't sue for $10,000 if he only pays out $500 unless it's punitive. The insurance company would have to show they paid out the debt and are trying to recover it. The OP would be entitled to his deductible back though so he's made whole at the end. Long process for a small payout, but that's an option.

As for the Two Brothers comment.....I basically did this :spit: because you're spot-on. +1 for you sir!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha true, I wasn't really a fan of the two brothers exhaust can.

When i first got the bike I could tell that the ECU had been flashed and it was running very rich because I smelled like gasoline anywhere i went on the bike, I temporarily removed the can to try to lean it out a bit...

It worked but it wasn't worth it at all haha.

Thank you all very much for the support and the advice, It really means a lot to get advice from people with much more experience in life than I at this point.

I am planning to make a video showing the minimal damage.... I looked at it today and I am pretty happy to say the least.... could have been much worse.

The undertail section may need to be replaced, the tail light just has a crack but works, the tail fairings are a little scrapped up but not destroyed by any means, Will have to figure out a new license plate bracket though.

I feel like sueing the guy may not be an economically good idea for me, he didn't seem to have much.

I am in central Florida, right above Orlando. a stock muffler..... would be better than the ear melting straight pipe.

any other recommendations for the replacement once I can scrounge up the money? I heard the M4 is a bit on the too loud side, I like the look of the shorty cans on the gen 4s for sure.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I watched a couple of times because I wasn’t ready to give the 300 immediately behind you a pass, but it does appear she got pushed from at least a car length back. I’m going to bet the at fault idiot was a cell yakker.

Thanks for posting as it does point out a flaw in my recent strategy. Usually I’m less concerned about a rear end once I verify the car behind me in the mirrors is stopping and has stopped. Your collision was not that!

Years ago on my ZX11 I successfully avoided a very similar collision under eerily similar conditions. I passed a cell yakker on a stretch of road with shopping centers on both sides. We were trapped in the same group of traffic and he’d successfully navigated 2 lights but at the 3rd, I could see him in my mirror and thought “MOVE” - he wasn’t stopping so I lunged between the 2 stopped cars in front of me to the shock of the driver to my right, just as the guy screeched to a halt less than a foot from the car in front of him - where I was.

MSF instructor kept me rubber side down for sure.

I’m glad you’re ok and wish your bike a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I watched a couple of times because I wasn’t ready to give the 300 immediately behind you a pass, but it does appear she got pushed from at least a car length back. I’m going to bet the at fault idiot was a cell yakker.

Thanks for posting as it does point out a flaw in my recent strategy. Usually I’m less concerned about a rear end once I verify the car behind me in the mirrors is stopping and has stopped. Your collision was not that!

Years ago on my ZX11 I successfully avoided a very similar collision under eerily similar conditions. I passed a cell yakker on a stretch of road with shopping centers on both sides. We were trapped in the same group of traffic and he’d successfully navigated 2 lights but at the 3rd, I could see him in my mirror and thought “MOVE” - he wasn’t stopping so I lunged between the 2 stopped cars in front of me to the shock of the driver to my right, just as the guy screeched to a halt less than a foot from the car in front of him - where I was.

MSF instructor kept me rubber side down for sure.

I’m glad you’re ok and wish your bike a speedy recovery.
Yeah it's hard to tell but i verified that the 300 came to a complete stop before I started babbling. The guy in the white honda may have been under the influence at the time I think;

But this was a very lucky situation for me to have gotten enough distance between him and I to still be here today, I wish I would of gotten more footage of how destroyed his car was, I mean you can see it for a brief second in the video right as i get up (At the time I thought the 300 was just trying to run me over lol.... you can tell by the what the hell???? lol)

But it was mostly the reason i knew i had to post the video, to make sure my rider family is made aware that this type of situation could happen.

Right now I only need to get an under tail, exhaust and tag holder and she should be fine. Not sure why but it has thrown the F1 code the last couple times I started it, May have to bring it in to the local shop for a full check up lol.

Akrapovic sounds pretty nice from the videos i saw.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
First thought was Florida. That sky. Next thought was nervous as not used to riding hard in that type of traffic. Hate to admit but I kept hoping you knew the area. FL roads creep me out. Next thought was how the fook did mom's cage take a bite and then not let go? Had a malinois like that. Equipment oriented psycho but great dog everywhere else. If the bike got you home then a plus. Next thought was nothing anyone does bothers me unless intentionally trying to kill me. last thought is that I'd never take bike for errands or work related stuff as takes 110 percent of my total focus. Just me. Cage is semi zombie mode when I can think about whatever like money and work and the wife and, you know, whatever.

edit: I was thinking about the vid. The chocolate mom saved you from serious injury. If she didn't soften the hit, the white car dork might've hit you hard.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts