Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching the forum's but couldn't find any with the same issue I'm having, hoping someone in here knows what's happening.

I bought a Gen 4 a few weeks ago and everything was working fine. A few days ago I was riding to work. As I came to a red light I shifted down to 1st gear. When I started going again I couldn't shift up out of 1st.
It is now stuck in 1st gear. It won't even go into neutral anymore.
Tried with the bike running, turned off, moving and stationary - it just won't change anymore - with or without the clutch.

I've checked all the linkages, clutch cable, clutch slack. Checked the rod and the connection to the gear shaft, everything is working fine. Nothing is loose or cracked.

Looked inside the clutch cover and everything is connected and working - just will not change out of first gear.

I've never had any issues like this before so not sure what else to look at.

Any help is appreciated. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Well sadly you have to pull the transmission pack and visually find out whats broken, just a casual observation but it looks grubby in there, thats a dirty engine how many miles?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,290 Posts
From the sounds of it, you have a damaged shift drum and/or fork. Michael4012 hit it right on the head and the only thing you can do is to pull the transmission out to check things. Thankfully you have a Gen 4 with the cassette transmission. Pull the clutch pack, unbolt the transmission, and slide it out. Count yourself lucky that you don't have to drop the motor and split the crankcase halves like the older ones.

Remember, Kawasaki's all have a PNF installed in the transmissions. You can't change gears with the rear wheel stationary. You can damage the components if you try forcing it into gear without the rear wheel spinning. Only 1st and Neutral are available if the wheel is stopped. So you're troubleshooting technique should take this into account and you need to have the rear off the ground to spin. If it thinks it's in 1st gear and you're able to start the engine that way, at least you've verified the clutch safety switch is working! But you should not be moving the pedal until you release the clutch and get the wheel spinning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well sadly you have to pull the transmission pack and visually find out whats broken, just a casual observation but it looks grubby in there, thats a dirty engine how many miles?
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to. It's at 58000kms (36000 miles)
What would be the best way to clean the inside?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the sounds of it, you have a damaged shift drum and/or fork. Michael4012 hit it right on the head and the only thing you can do is to pull the transmission out to check things. Thankfully you have a Gen 4 with the cassette transmission. Pull the clutch pack, unbolt the transmission, and slide it out. Count yourself lucky that you don't have to drop the motor and split the crankcase halves like the older ones.

Remember, Kawasaki's all have a PNF installed in the transmissions. You can't change gears with the rear wheel stationary. You can damage the components if you try forcing it into gear without the rear wheel spinning. Only 1st and Neutral are available if the wheel is stopped. So you're troubleshooting technique should take this into account and you need to have the rear off the ground to spin. If it thinks it's in 1st gear and you're able to start the engine that way, at least you've verified the clutch safety switch is working! But you should not be moving the pedal until you release the clutch and get the wheel spinning.
Yeah I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the transmission out, but I guess I'm going to have to. Going to do it this week and check all of it for any worn parts and replace them.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Cleaning even just the little you can see is not really advisable without a strip down. The use of any cleaning solvents in situe just isn't balanced against the potential contamination of oil and passages. That sort of discolouration I associate with blow by, gasses dirtying the oil which then attaches itself to all the internal surfaces. Its possible the previous owner or owners weren't to particular with the service intervals, that alone could be a reason why transmission has failed prematurely, but there are other possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts