Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to tell the difference from a ABS and non ABS model?
Only thing I see it the decal but the front and rear looks the same. Can't seem to find any pictures that shows anything different from the two.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
There's a wire on the left side front fork that will go down to the wheel sensor mounted near the brake caliper. The other easy way to tell is the front brake rotor will have a slotted area of the caliper carrier to give the sensor it's signal. It will only be on 1 of the front rotors (left one). The rear should also have this same sensor and pick-up ring.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
the non ABS model has that as well.

Both models use those sensors for ABS and traction control.... there is a plug on the harness thats capped off for the sensors to be used with the ABS module....

I'm trying to think but other than looking under where about your left knee would go above the sprocket cover there should be a ABS module... a small boxy looking thing that is the ABS controller. I dont know if they sticker-ed them any differently

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,621 Posts
the non ABS model has that as well.

Both models use those sensors for ABS and traction control.... there is a plug on the harness thats capped off for the sensors to be used with the ABS module....

I'm trying to think but other than looking under where about your left knee would go above the sprocket cover there should be a ABS module... a small boxy looking thing that is the ABS controller. I dont know if they sticker-ed them any differently
Hmmm...I guess the 'KIBS' decal on the front fender is what they are really showing in that pic then? :dontknow: That pic is directly off of Kawi's site under the "ABS" model. I thought it was showing the wheel sensor for the ABS specifically.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Identifying ABS

The decal on the front guard "KIBS" (Kawasaki Intelligent anti-lock Brake System), the Bosch controller on the left side slightly forward and above the engine sprocket (under a black plastic cover) and the metal brake lines from under the tank descending either side of the steering head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you can get up close enough to see the dash you can tell the difference

where the non abs model has a fuel light on the right hand side the abs has an abs light

here is a non abs model

i cant find a photo of an entire abs dash, the ones i have taken have the right hand side obscured by the brake master cylinder as are any others i can find on the net. Ill chuck one up when i get home in the morning.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Hmmm...I guess the 'KIBS' decal on the front fender is what they are really showing in that pic then? :dontknow: That pic is directly off of Kawi's site under the "ABS" model. I thought it was showing the wheel sensor for the ABS specifically.
Yes it is showing the decal- tc always uses comparative wheel speeds as the main source of input

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is the abs equipped zx10r dash with abs light.

yeah I read that on the service manual but visually you really can't tell other than the decal that says ABS. Just wanted to know if there were a way to see a difference visually. still waiting for my bike to come in. damn :sad:

·
Registered
251 Posts
So is everyone with an ABS model going to run out of petrol then?? :lol::lol:
Perhaps, lol.

I have not seen one in person yet, what is the area next to the fuel light/abs light below the high beam light. Could that be a fuel meter? My friends CBR600 has a bar graph fuel level display, does the 10R have one as well as a low fuel light?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Perhaps, lol.

I have not seen one in person yet, what is the area next to the fuel light/abs light below the high beam light. Could that be a fuel meter? My friends CBR600 has a bar graph fuel level display, does the 10R have one as well as a low fuel light?
The yellow LED next to the ABS warning is a general alert. In the case of low fuel, a warning is flashed at the top left of the LCD screen with a petrol bowser in the LCD near the LED.
Fuel meter?... better, it has a re-settable fuel consumed display which is amazingly accurate. Zero it when you fill up, and the remaining is simply 17
L (or x gallons) less that consumed (with 0.1 L resolution).

·
Registered
251 Posts
I guess I will have to wait to see mine in person. Its sounds more complicated, but Ill like it either way. Its better than what I had on my '01 ZX-7R, had to rely on my own lol. I just had to keep an eye on the trip odometer and reset it when I filled up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fuel meter?... better, it has a re-settable fuel consumed display which is amazingly accurate.
Yea that thing is amazingly accurate. I'm loving everything they put in our gauges tech wise. Its a very nice setup imo. Never had to read my manual to figure how to set my clock before though. :lol: But its easy to setup your shift light and brightness and what not once u get it figured out. :eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts