Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

If you where to get a 2011 ZX-10r would you get it with ABS or without ABS? and why?

• 2011 zx-10r ABS

Votes: 80 55.6%
  • 2011 zx-10r No ABS

Votes: 64 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you where to get a 2011 ZX-10r would you get it with ABS or without ABS? and why(try to give a better reason besides cost)?

I am not sure personally if I want the ABS system because of all the problems the 1000rr has had with them draining the battery and such. That is the purpose of this thread personally. And anyone with a 2011 zx10r already let us know your views most of all and what you think of the model you own on this issue. Please and thank you. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ordered a black ABS bike on 10-6. The traction control is the most advanced system on any street bike - period. The ABS controller is integrated into the ECU and compliments the TC. This is not like any other ABS system on any motorcycle anywhere. It is a performance as well as safety function. Why would you not want the complete performance package? At $14.799 for the ABS, TC, performance and handling this bike is under priced.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Very useful on slippery roads and tracks the only disadvantage is that you lose the braking feeling.
Hardly noticeable in the S1000rr, brakes really good.
Everything starts to simplify... TC-ABS etc.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Definitely go with ABS. I've had my ass saved a couple of times on my S1000RR when fossils pull out in front of me. Like I've always said, it's better to have something and not need it as opposed to needing something and not having it. I have a feeling that the '11 ZX-10 is going to be one hell of a bike!

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Why get half a loaf when you can have the whole loaf? Only question is when are they going to deliver it?

Remember NONE of the press test bikes had it installed....which suggests it may be a long wait....

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why get half a loaf when you can have the whole loaf? Only question is when are they going to deliver it?

Remember NONE of the press test bikes had it installed....which suggests it may be a long wait....
very true but i do believe that the guys in Australia have one. I'm not totally sure on 100% positive on that though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dealer said that the ABS bikes along with the non-ABS bikes should be delivering in the US at the end of this month. Our mates down under are getting their ABS bikes now.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I voted for no abs:

aside from the extra complexity which I consider an issue lets assume that it will never be a mechanical problem and will always work..

1.)I do all my riding on the street so for one for abs and traction control to be of use as it's designed for on the new 2011, I would have to be riding in a fashion that would be totally unreal for street riding.

2.) I think that rider input..both physical and mental is a very impotant part of riding.....having the additional devices might give a false sense of security and would also , in my mind diminish the riding experience.....

this is from the point of view of someone who rides on the street......

if I were racing and the above additions cut a 1/4 second off of a lap time I would have a totally different view...

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Actually, it's the other way around.

ABS serves its function on the street when some cell phone yapping soccer mom doesn't see you and turns out in front. You can hammer the brakes solid without worrying about traction. If it saves one low-side crash because of this, it has paid for itself ... and it could save your life. The statistics available thus far suggest approx 25% - 35% reduction in both collisions reported to insurance, and fatal crashes, on comparable bikes with ABS compared to the same models without.

On the track, for the most part, you don't have that situation.

Take the ABS option.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think ABS is more usefull on the street than the track. Track is controlled conditions with very good tires. The unpredictability of the streets are where abs is usefull. There was a test done on the honda a few years back where professional riders found on dry conditions they could stop faster without ABS . On a wet surface its very usefull.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The point of reference in the prior posts are the existing and oftentimes intrusive ABS systems. - this is not the same. The number of parameters measured, frequency of sampling and small incremental modulation should all act in a fairly seamless manner compared to existing systems. Wait and see.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just a thought

What happens when the situation arises that you may need to put your bike down and slide of the road to avoid a collision. I had a friend that had someone coming towards him who drifted into his lane. His only means of escape were sliding off the road. Abs wouldn't allow you to lock the back tire up and put the bike down. Just a thought really, but there's always going to be a situation where someone pulls out and there's nothing you can do.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I voted no ABS just because i have not tried it out. I can't recall a time during my riding life where i said "wow i wish i had abs on my bike". So i guess this is me being stubborn and thinking i dont need it, and im not comfortable with it. However if i were to ride a new zx10 with abs, and had a good opportunity to try it out, or test it if you will that may change my mind. I am not opposed to it at all, just inexperienced with it, but when in doubt i tend to stick with what i know.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I voted for no abs:

aside from the extra complexity which I consider an issue lets assume that it will never be a mechanical problem and will always work..

1.)I do all my riding on the street so for one for abs and traction control to be of use as it's designed for on the new 2011, I would have to be riding in a fashion that would be totally unreal for street riding.

2.) I think that rider input..both physical and mental is a very impotant part of riding.....having the additional devices might give a false sense of security and would also , in my mind diminish the riding experience.....

this is from the point of view of someone who rides on the street......

if I were racing and the above additions cut a 1/4 second off of a lap time I would have a totally different view...

Totally agree, I have to rely on myself..and assess every facet of every situation. And finesse the applications of the controls, based on that.

I'm also looking ahead...what is coming up, after the immediate situation, has a bearing on how I handle the immediate situation.

No way can I turn that over to sensors on a bike.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I voted no ABS just because i have not tried it out. I can't recall a time during my riding life where i said "wow i wish i had abs on my bike". So i guess this is me being stubborn and thinking i dont need it, and im not comfortable with it. However if i were to ride a new zx10 with abs, and had a good opportunity to try it out, or test it if you will that may change my mind. I am not opposed to it at all, just inexperienced with it, but when in doubt i tend to stick with what i know.
:+1: until there are real reviews on it, I cnt't say if I want abs or not.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The point of reference in the prior posts are the existing and oftentimes intrusive ABS systems. - this is not the same. The number of parameters measured, frequency of sampling and small incremental modulation should all act in a fairly seamless manner compared to existing systems. Wait and see.
Disagreed. I was an automotive mechanic for 20 years and am very familiar with all ABS systems. ABS was designd to assist in wet weather stopping. Consumers were under false pretense that it helped stop faster. ABS was designed to help the driver be able to steer while breaking not reduce braking distanse. Further tests showed that in the dry you could stop faster without ABS. As the system pulses reguardless if you can feel it there is on/off brake presure which means the brakes are releaded miliseconds at a time. Compare that to a 100% duty cycle and the answer is clear. I agree that Kawi's system will be the best since there T/C system has proven itself to me and testers to be a cut above, but for sheer stoping quickness ABS is a touch slower. I do feel however it will be an asset to 100 percent of the street riding community.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
If your going to spend that amount of money for a bike why not take the little extra step and spend a few more pennies and get the ABS version, I would

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
What happens when the situation arises that you may need to put your bike down and slide of the road to avoid a collision. I had a friend that had someone coming towards him who drifted into his lane. His only means of escape were sliding off the road. Abs wouldn't allow you to lock the back tire up and put the bike down. Just a thought really, but there's always going to be a situation where someone pulls out and there's nothing you can do.
On pavement, situations in which you are actually better off by "laying the bike down" are exceedingly rare compared to keeping the rubber on the road and maximizing your braking. Rubber on pavement without sliding has a higher friction coefficient than metal or body parts on pavement - you'll stop sooner by keeping the bike upright and staying on the brakes. If the situation actually does warrant steering off the road, you can still do that ... and be on the brakes at the same time to scrub off speed!

I HAVE ridden a bike with ABS - a rental BMW F800ST in Europe. First day on the bike, the tour agency had us go to an empty parking lot and practice with the bike. It so happened to be raining. To jump on the brakes at a moments notice without trying to modulate or feel for grip - no way could you match that without ABS. And this was an older-generation ABS system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The dynamics of four wheel and two wheel vehicles are different. With only two wheels, and the rider controlling either independently, a loss of traction during braking on a motorcycle can result in either high or low siding (either front or rear wheel lock-up) in addition to a loss of directional control. Many riders under use or don't use the rear brake at all due to this concern. Anywhere from 10% to 30% of a bikes total braking power is lost if the rear brake is underutilized. Also the fear of wheel lock-up may cause many riders to under use the full braking capability of any motorcycle. Front wheel lock at any speed is something to be avoided. KIBS is designed to work with some of the unique requirements that exist with a motorcycle (i.e. lean angles, rear wheel lift, differential brake application). By communicating with the traction control ECU (in theory) nearly optimum braking performance under many different conditions should be achieved. With the performance envelope that the new 10 has, ABS integration with traction control could avert a number of crashes on both street and track. as well as allowing many more riders to experience more of the performance of this bike. Real world testing will soon measure how successful Kawasaki's engineering and software development has been with KIBS. I'm betting it's equally good .

1 - 20 of 72 Posts